new system Q6600 or Q9300 in Abit IP35Pro

Stevarian

Limp Gawd
I am slowly getting the parts together for my new system. I have the Abit IP35 Pro motherboard, and now that the new video cards are starting to come out, I figured it was time to start looking for the rest of my build.

I was going to get the Q6600 2.4ghz proc, everything I read indicates it is a good chip, good overclocker, and is around $200. I read an article then some other info on the new Intel Q9300, and it sounds like a slightly better chip, but I wonder if it would be worth the extra $60?? Is there a good reason to get the newer chip? Or should I just get the classic Q6600??

Plus, are there any problems using the newer chip in the IP35 Pro?

Thanks!

The Q6600 will overclock more easily due to the higher multiplier. I love my Q6600, and they're DIRT cheap right now.

This link tells you all the CPU's the IP35 pro can support :

http://www.abit.com.tw/cpu-support-list/mb/intel_p35_ip35-pro.htm

Note that the '9' series isnt listed. This may be because the list hasnt been updated since BIOS version 14. Good news is that newer BIOS versions have been released.

In the BIOS download section , you will see that version 16 and 17 has '45nm CPU support listed'. You will need to flash to this BIOS for the 9 series CPU.

BIOS Downloads :

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/download/download_bios_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Bios&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=IP35+Pro&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

The above link has a couple of links at the top which walk you through a BIOS upgrade procedure.

Check out my sig.. q6600 @ 3.6 w/ ip35-pro. Now as much as I love this motherboard, it's really hard to recommend with PCI-E 2.0 out. That's my problem right now :( I can't upgrade to any PCI-E 2.0 GPU while these 4850s are being released lol. I would highly recommend you return it so that you don't have the trouble of upgrading when you want some more umph for your gaming.

BTW, here's the q6600 for $180 at frys, but act fast.
http://shop1.frys.com/product/5101696

Thanks for the link to Frys...that is an awesome price, but after I started the order, they charge sales tax in my state, so the price difference after shipping and tax between Frys and Newegg was only $2....but thanks for that, maybe that means there will be other promotional prices elsewhere.

I am confused about your comment about PCIe 2.0....my understanding is that the newer cards will work in the older spec, you just wouldn't realize the better performance...I hope this is correct anyway, as I have already pulled the UPC off for the rebate at Newegg....LOL....

Thanks again...

Thanks for the link to Frys...that is an awesome price, but after I started the order, they charge sales tax in my state, so the price difference after shipping and tax between Frys and Newegg was only $2....but thanks for that, maybe that means there will be other promotional prices elsewhere.

I am confused about your comment about PCIe 2.0....my understanding is that the newer cards will work in the older spec, you just wouldn't realize the better performance...I hope this is correct anyway, as I have already pulled the UPC off for the rebate at Newegg....LOL....

Thanks again...
Someone with some knowledge of this please come in here and try to explain this to me lol. I thought it would not accept PCI-E 2.0 cards? If it would then HORRAY!

yes, I have heard q6600 are easier to OC. I haven't OC my own yet.

AFAIK G/cards that are designed to run on pci-e 2.0 are backwards compatible with pci-e x16 and most likely with x8 and so on. I think the problem begins when you start trying to run a pci-e x16 card on pci-e 2.They will most likely run but not at the specs of pci-e 2.0.....although I have been out of the scene for about 6 months so the above info could be garbage...:)

i like the q9300.. even overclocked it uses less power than the q6600.. so depends on if you want to save electricity..

Well, cool...I was worried there for a bit....thanks for the replies, and that great link that explains everything....now I am not worried about my purchase...I think I will get the new 4870 card....it sounds awesome!

Back