Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B

ZALMAN ZM - STG1 Thermal Compound - Retail

4 x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Sunbeam RHK-BA Rheobus 20W Fan Controller (Black)

Total Cost: $1,200

I will be reusing the PSU.vid card from my sig, i will put a 7800gtx and 431 enermax i have laying around on my current system.

i personally find raptors a waste of money. maybe use the money on a better case or even a decent water cooling for your system.

Remember of course to get the G0 SLACR processor, because it run's cooler meaning better oc'ing potential. clubit.com guarantees G0 SLACR for Q6600.

Why not get a better heatsink for your processor like the thermalright 120 extreme or thermalright 90 ultima and attach a nice fan on it like the scythe s-flex fan, since you dont need the LED for the cm690 unless u plan to leave the side open (that's if the side window hasn't started to be sold yet)

Also you will need a 64bit OS to run all 4gb of RAM.

What size/resolution monitor do you have (or are planning to get)? Unless it's at least a 27 inch/1920x1200 resolution, then the X38 board is a waste of money -- CrossFire is the only option making that a "better" choice than the P35 chipset.

Also, what's the specific model of the Enermax PSU, and how long have you had it for? You're likely better off getting a new power supply as well.

Fans:
Buying Scythe S-Flexes for case fans is sort of pointless. Yate Loons will do just as well for 1/3rd the cash -- pick up 4 Yate Loon high speeds for $20 and use that rheobus to its full advantage. The only place the Scythes make sense is as a fan on a heatsink where CFM is really really important or if you just have too much money and don't know what to do with it. There are plenty of places you could do better, so don't go with them.

Motherboard:
Buying an X38 is completely and utterly pointless for someone in your position -- PCIe 2.0 isn't really used by anything yet, you don't have an ATI card so CrossfireX isn't a selling point, and the X38s don't OC any better than the P35s. That board runs what, $200 AR? You can get a DFI LanParty P35 Dark P35-TR2S for $150 shipped without rebates to deal with that'll OC just as well, potentially better, and run cooler.

RAM:
DDR2-1000 is pointless with a Q6600. It's a 9x multiplier chip -- 9x400 = 3600. 3.6, 3.7Ghz is about the highest you can go on good air cooling, as the quads run hot. 400x2 = 800, so DDR2-800 is all you need. Good sticks of DDR2-800 will OC to or near to DDR2-1000 speeds in most cases anyway. Running RAM outside of a 1:1 ratio with FSB on Intel platforms offers almost no performance increase.

HSF:
I strongly recommend you replace that HSF. For $48 shipped $38 AR ($10 MIR) you can get the ZeroTherm Nirvana NV120, which is a vast improvement and for around $70 you can get a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and a Scythe S-Flex fan, which is arguably the best air cooler on the market today. Quads run hot, so if you intend to OC you will need quality here.

To be honest i was a bit on the fence about the raptor, think i will just get another Samsung.
I am going for as quiet as possible on this PC. it resides in my bedroom and runs 24/7, my current rig is somewhat quiet but i would love it to be quieter. I got those S-flex fans solely for there low DBA/High CFM rating. Also, i was going to get the Abit p35 pro, only reason i went with an x38 was for better yorkdale support. i guess there will be a bios update possibly for the p35 pro?

lastly, That Xigmatek scored a better rating over the thermalright 120 extreme. Frostytech has that review. it's only $40 bucks with fan.

Don't get the IP35-Pro if you intend to run a 45nm chip -- they act all kinds of screwed up. It could be fixed with a BIOS update, it could not. Not worth risking it.

The DFI P35-TR2S or Gigabyte P35-DS3R/DS4 are much better choices for that.

I agree with everything Silent has said. Your decision to consider a P35 board is a good one. Aside from the IP-35 Pro's issues, a good P35 board will support a Yorkfield just as well as an X-38 board.

Also, as he mentioned, PC-8000 RAM is a waste of money. You will never realize the increased performance benefit over standard PC-6400 with the Q6600. Enginurd has a great cut and paste which explains the math behind this.

And here it is:

enginurd said:
Stated FSB/4 = Actual FSB
Multiplier x Actual FSB = CPU Speed
2 x Actual FSB = RAM Speed

Q6600:
Multi x FSB, RAM Speed = Clock Speed
9 x 266Mhz, DDR2 533 RAM = 2.4Ghz <== Stock Speeds
9 x 333Mhz, DDR2 667 RAM = 3.0Ghz <== Good OC
9 x 400Mhz, DDR2 800 RAM = 3.6Ghz <== Excellent OC, About the Max

It actually looks a little different than that, but I think only Danny would notice. :p

I agree with everything silent-circuit said, too. ;)

It actually looks a little different than that, but I think only Danny would notice. :p

LOL! I could write a whole essay on the differences:D

Anyway, like the 2-3 other guys here, I concur with silent-circuit. Hell, I didn't know about the IP35 Pro's troubles with 45nm CPUs. Man, college is affecting my ability to keep up to date.:)

Back