Limp Gawd
Specs:
DFI LanParty ut nf4 ultra-d
athlon 64 3700+ san diego
2x 512 g.skill ... winbond utt stuff
xfx 7800 gtx
hitachi deskstar t7k250 160gb sata2
pioneer dvr-109 dvd burner

and as for the PSU... I got an OCZ PowerStream 520w BUT it was DOA, so I threw in my Antec TrueBlue 480w from my previous system. The system booted up fine, but when it got to Windows installation, I got a few BSODs... errors like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or something like that and "PFN LIST NOT DEFINED" and an error with "ntfs.sys." I was stubborn though, so I kept trying to install windows. Eventually, it did ... VERY slowly. This slowness persisted even after installation, as I could use the system and everything, but it was all EXTREMELY slow, even after installing drivers for everything; including the motherboard. After quadruple-checking everything, the ONLY thing I saw as out of place was the fact that the Antec TrueBlue 480w has a 20-pin ATX connector, not the new 24-pin type. I know the DFI board hates those and I definitely don't plan to use it once my PowerSTream is RMA'd, but I want to know if that's what causes the problem, so I don't have problems when my new power supply comes in. I always hear people speak of DFI being "unstable" and "disliking" 20-pin PSUs, but what does that translate into? Are my system's symptoms typical of using a 20-pin psu on a DFI board? or could there be something more?

If you check in General Hardware, I've got a post EXACTLY like yours... Figured out the problem though.

Take your RAM out of slot 1+3 (Dual Channel) and put it in 3+4, I know it's not Dual Channel, but hey, no Dual Channel beats the heck out of No computer :)

Lemme know if that works for you, also if anyone knows of a way to get around this issue let us all know...

I was pretty sure that if the mb is 24pin then you couldn't use a 20pin power supply, but I could be wrong

ClearH2O said:
I was pretty sure that if the mb is 24pin then you couldn't use a 20pin power supply, but I could be wrong

They do have adapters. However, some motherboards don't seem to like the power being adapted. The DFI Ultra D being one of the worst about that.

See that's what I'm talking about; everybsays the DFI board "doesn't like adapters," but what does it actually do with them? I don't like cockroaches, so I step on them -- what's the DFI's board response to things it doesn't like? :/

DFI's official stance is that you have to have a true ATX 2.0 power supply with a 24 pin connector, and anything less and they won't give you the time of day until you do. i'm using an old antec truepower 480 on my nF4 motherboard, and it's working just fine, but YMMV. you just have to plug the 20 pin connector into the 24 pin socket and make sure to also connect spare HDD and FDD power connectors into the appropriate places on the motherboard.

i'll post some nice pics if my computer blows up one day because i was using a 20 pin PSU.

Is your nf4 board a DFI LanParty? The Antec TrueBlue and TruePower are only different by an LED fan, so we should have the same PSU... I did plug in everything on the motherboard (even that FDD power hidden by my tt big typhoon) and I still experienced this stuff. I didn't use a 20->24 pin adapter.

yeah, my motherboard is a lanparty nF4 ultra. your problem still might be a power supply issue since DFI only officially supports native 24 pin PSUs, and anything else is done at your own risk. the only way to rule out your antec PSU is to wait until you have your native 24 pin unit back or borrow one from a friend.

Back