New to DSLRs, Found 2 Great Deals & Cant Decide.. Please Help!

nosoup4you718

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Im new to DSLRs and have been doing alot of reading and price searching and ive decided on a rebel XTI. I know a lot of you are Nikon guys but I've made up my mind :-P

I dont really understand about lenses yet and i've come across two pretty good deals. One with lenses and one with out.

The first one is just the body for 600 shipped and the second is Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi 2 lens Zoom Kit Includes Canon 18-55mm & Canon 75-300mm for 790.

What I need to know is, are those lenses any good? Are they worth the extra $190 or should I just pick up the body and buy a lens? If I should just buy the body and find a lens separately any ideas what lens to get?

Thanks for the help its greatly appreciated. Im really interested in HDR photos if that makes any difference.

Well not being a Cannon user I cannot attest for the lense quality. I personally would go with the 2 lense deal. Even if they are budget lenses then they are good enough to get started with till you have money for more expensive glass. If the 75-300 is image stabilized then you need a tripod for steadier shot. You can hand shoot with it but it is, hit or miss on how it turns out.

Thanks, it doesnt say much about the lenses which is what worries me, so imagine they cant be too great.

Still undecided but leaning towards just picking up the body

First make sure the deal is legit - there is a lot of shady camera shops on the 'net. Other than that, how can you go wrong with two lenses for $200? Each of those you mentioned goes for around $200 at B&H.

BTW, for HDR-type photos you are definetely going to need a decent tripod so make sure you budget for that as well.

Definitely check and make sure that the site is legit before buying. Most places with "to good to be true pricing" usually call and try and up sell you on junk accessories and if you don't buy they sometimes cancel or otherwise delay the order. Sometimes the item will be grey market, which may effect warranty coverage depending on the manufacturer.

Check sites like resellerratings.com to find reviews from past customers.

That's a great deal for $600 shipped on the body. Beware.

The two lenses aren't that great. Maybe you can find a used Sigma 17-80 F/2.8 or an equivalent Tamron for $250. Those are excellent lenses and 10x better than the kits.

they have a canon rebel xt at walmart you can play the with camera. i think the kit lens is weak, plastic body. just doesn't feel right. manual focus is not very smooth

thanks for all the advice, i know to stay away from the shady venders. These were Dell and Ritz Camera so no real worries.

Thanks again!

nosoup4you718 said:
Hi,

Im new to DSLRs and have been doing alot of reading and price searching and ive decided on a rebel XTI. I know a lot of you are Nikon guys but I've made up my mind :-P

I dont really understand about lenses yet and i've come across two pretty good deals. One with lenses and one with out.

The first one is just the body for 600 shipped and the second is Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi 2 lens Zoom Kit Includes Canon 18-55mm & Canon 75-300mm for 790.

What I need to know is, are those lenses any good? Are they worth the extra $190 or should I just pick up the body and buy a lens? If I should just buy the body and find a lens separately any ideas what lens to get?

Thanks for the help its greatly appreciated. Im really interested in HDR photos if that makes any difference.

the kit lens is SHIT, thats the 18-55 lens you see......and the 75-300 is a nice zoom lens if you like shit.

get the body only and try to find a 1.4 50mm prime....its a good lens to mess around with. if you are on a budget let me know the total you can spend and i will find you a decent lens....

The XTi is a great camera but like all SLR's you need good lenses for good pictures and also HDR is fun to mess around with but ultimately not useful in any real way.

If you are just starting out with the photography those lenses are just fine. You will eventually want to upgrade based upon what you learn and what you intend to shoot.

I'd go for just the body and a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 as a starter kit

Back