New to folding but have some big hardware to toss at it

3one5

Gawd
I am new to folding, just started last night. Right now I have it running on 3 desktops and 1 virtual machine (1 cpu 4 cores Xeon). Right now I am loading up ESXi on a Dell R900 with Dual Xeon E7450 6 core CPUs. I am going to light up a virtual machine on it for folding and need to know what the most efficient OS and install. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to the team. For a VM your best bet would be ubuntu linux running SMP, probably using the v6.34 client.

as for a guide you cannot go far wrong with Musky's excellent how to:-http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1601608.

It covers all aspects of SMP folding on linux and is straightforward to use. If you do get stuck just post a ? and we'll be right along to help

Edit:- ninja'd by the feather!!

Thanks guys, I created a new VM for Ubuntu but am only able to assign it 8 cores. I think it may be a limitation of ESXi 4 so I am going to load 5.1 quick. I have 64GB of memory in this box but shouldn't have the need for all of it. That is unless 5.1 lifted the memory restriction....

Alright, so how do I determine how well my setup is doing? Here is a screen shot.

folding-12.jpg

There are 2 measures, one is PPD as shown in the screenie - the other is to work out the tpf - tpf being the time per frame or the time it takes to do 1% of your wu. v7 does not always show the correct PPD, however this site does:- http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

Choose your project from the drop down list, key in your tpf and hit calculate. that should give you a proper number. Now i'm not sure if anyone has any numbers for a pair of your cpu's so i don't know if its good for those cpu's or not.

Oh and before you get discourged by some of the ppd posted by other team members - just remember that they may be folding on far more hardware containing far more cores folding different projects

Oh and before you get discourged by some of the ppd posted by other team members - just remember that they may be folding on far more hardware containing far more cores folding different projects

He can always join the 4P mafia :D

That dual 7400 system had to of been a beast back in 2008/9

Last edited:
Gotcha, I'll look at joining once I get this puppy plugged in and running. :)
Dell_Chassis.JPG

I'm feeling a bit better about these numbers
FAHControl.jpg

That dual 7400 system had to of been a beast back in 2008/9

Yeah, it's starting to age. It's a Dell R900. I would like to compare it to some other systems out there. I'm not going to run it if it won't keep up with some of the other stuff out there that sucks less juice.

I have another VM running on my dual E5640 server.

Nice!

On a side note, just make sure you have permission to run folding on the hardware. Not worth getting in trouble over.

What H said. You need to complete 10 WU with the passkey and maintain an 80%+ completion rate, then you will start to earn bonus points. I suggest using HFM.net to monitor your clients, as it can calculate the quick return bonus (QRB) for you. It also can create a web page with the current stats and maintains a database of all the WU you have done. Lastly, you can enter your performance stats here http://www.dragongathering.org:15080/ for the [H]orde to see.

Welcome and good luck!

Back