New to Laptop Shopping...

Spoonmaster

Limp Gawd
Soooo, I'm in the market to find myself a laptop.

I'm heavy gamer, play alot of CSS, WoW, Crysis, and CoD4. I've been doing some research.
Budget; Roughly $1500, less is always nice though.

I currently have a pretty good rig in my sig, but due to family complications, my parents are divorced, and I live in two residences. I feel that my P4 3.0GHZ, 2GB, FX5700 system is starting to age, especially in comparison to my e6400,2GB, 8800GT system haha.

I've seen some nice ones like the Dell M1530, Gateway P-6831FX, and a HP one, I'm leaning towards the Dell or Gateway though, the gateway price is amazing, especially for the 8800M, but the processor spec slightly scares me.

Any suggestions?

Don't worry about the CPU in that Gateway model. You can easily upgrade it later on with Intel's newer 45nm chips (BIOS upgrade probably needed as well).

But remember, that's a desktop replacement. I would not recommend hulling that thing around. :eek:

if gateway has a bios that supports the new chips then yes. if they dont make the bios then no. there are quite a few laptops out there that will not get this bios. The entire line of verified by intel notebooks will not be getting this bios for example. a supporting bios will be required if you want to upgrade. you cant just pop it in and go as i know

Oh I know that..

Most likely Gateways newer models will have support for Intels 45nm chips. The question is when will they be released.. :O

Don't worry about the CPU in that Gateway model. You can easily upgrade it later on with Intel's newer 45nm chips (BIOS upgrade probably needed as well).

But remember, that's a desktop replacement. I would not recommend hulling that thing around. :eek:

Would it be fine for the occasional movement? Such as the occasional plane flight or trips etc?

I think I might for the gateway, I'm so attuned to 8800 performance already haha.

I've taken my E1705 on plane trips (weighs 11lbs) and it's alright. There are newer rules that regulate what you can take on with you.

You'll also need a backpack or carrying case capable of holding a 17" notebook. I have one that I use for school. It holds well but when you're standing in line for hours at the airport it kinda drags ya down.

As for other trips. Definitely. I took mine up to Estes Park with my parents. As long as you have the luggage or ability to carry it with you, you're good to go.

The new Gateway P-6831FX, from what I've been reading, has overclocking settings in the BIOS, for use w/the Intel Core 2 Extreme cpu's.

It also physically supports two harddrives, though it comes w/just one, as well as RAID 0.

The cpu is suppose to be real easy to upgrade, from what I have read, and the pictures I have seen.

I ordered one last night, and hope to get it today.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4208

Definitely go for the Gateway. Nothing else in that price range comes close to the 8800GTS. As long as you don't plan on taking it everywhere with you, the weight shouldn't be an issue.

I'm running the much lauded Gateway, totally stock, with no problems. Primarily play GRAW2, also TF2 and CoD4. Runs them all well enough for me.

Has anyone actually successfully upgraded the CPU?

I just read the forum post on the review link posted ^^^, and I saw on the last page that someone upgraded it to a T7700 just fine.

Back