New to overclocking e6600/Voltage question

Ive got an e6600 and a 680i mobo and i wanted to overclock, so i followed this guide that i found:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/747/747671p2.html

In there, they instruct you to change the voltages to various settings (shown at the bottom of the page). At the end of the guide, after you've found a stable FSB, they instruct you to lower the voltages. My question is, is it necessary to lower them like they say? Am I hurting my computer by leaving the voltages at the values they recommended? And if so, which voltages need to be lowered? They dont specify and dont give their final voltages. Thanks

You lower your voltage because if its runnin smooth @ 1.35v why would you put 1.45v through your cpu? runs cooler with lower volts to.

Yeah I mean I understand the purpose of lowering the voltages. But If i dont have to mess with it, then I dont want to.

Can I just lower the cpu core voltage? Or do i need to go through each of the voltages that were changed and find a perfect combo thats stable? Thats what I'm trying to avoid...

v-core should be 1.35 by default and is good for mild to moderate overclock with the 6600,I had mentiond lowering it because usualy folks bump it up to see how much they can squeeze out initialy and when the find out they can still boot at 3.6 or whatever you will want to lower your voltage to see how it runs then . I think mine is at 1.35 or 1.40 and Im clocked at 3.5 witch seems nice enough.

Check out the overclock data base over at intell proccesors, youll probably scroll through and find someone with a machine like your set up and they usualy post the different settings the tryed.

It's definitely worthwhile to go through and lower voltages as they recommend. Once you find a stable combination you don't ever have to do it again -- just write it down in case your BIOS gets cleared. Runs cooler, hardware lasts longer as a result. Sure it's a pain, but it's time well spent if you're going to OC constantly.

It's definitely worthwhile to go through and lower voltages as they recommend. Once you find a stable combination you don't ever have to do it again -- just write it down in case your BIOS gets cleared. Runs cooler, hardware lasts longer as a result. Sure it's a pain, but it's time well spent if you're going to OC constantly.

Exactly. Drop it by one notch, orthos overnight or while you are at work or school. Continue doing this until you have crashes on orthos, or stopped messages. Less vcore = less heat = longer life.

Yeah I guess you guys are right... If I do it over a few days I guess its not a big deal.

On a side note, Im not sure about that orthos program. I passed the test but then I was getting crashing in games. So I lowered the FSB a notch and then games were totally stable. So whats the point of Orthos? Did i not run the right test? I just picked one that said 'CPU stress' or whatever

"Small FFTs - Stress CPU" is what you want. In order to make sure you need to run it several hours, so leave it running overnight with CoreTemp or SpeedFan logging your temps. In the morning if it's still working you're good. If not, start the machine back up (if it didn't restart itself already) and read the log to see how long it lasted.

It keeps your cpu ( or system ) number crunching to see at what point it makes an error. 4 hours is considered reasonably stabble for desk top use but if you can go longer like overnight 8+ hrs. even better.

I'm pretty sure thats the test I ran...

It was weird though. I fired up a game and was only in the game for like less than two minutes before it crashed. Right before that I had run orthos for like 15+ minutes until it said I passed the test.

But anyway, thanks guys. I'll lower some voltages within the next few days and run orthos overnight and see what happens.

Running Orthos for 15 mins so it passes the first test guarantees nothing. Try doing what the previous posters have said and leave it running overnight. That will give you a far better overall insight into how your CPU can cope with the OC.

Running Orthos for 15 mins so it passes the first test guarantees nothing. Try doing what the previous posters have said and leave it running overnight. That will give you a far better overall insight into how your CPU can cope with the OC.

Or you can forget orthos and test it with your heaviest application or game.

What will you really be doing with your PC?

Using Orthos?

Or

Playing games?

Test it until your games are stable and screw Orthos!

I lowered the cpu core voltage to 1.35v and did a LONG session of supreme commander without a hitch. so i think im good for now.

Back