New to SSD, Am I doing something wrong?

Droc

2[H]4U
System in sig. I have been using a crucial m4 128GB as my OS drive since I built this PC in March.
I recently picked up a 128gb Samsung 830 for my steam folder.
I suspect Im doing something wrong with the 830 for it to get these speeds? I hear "ahci" tossed around lots?

asssdbenchm4ct128m4ssd2.png

asssdbenchsamsungssd830.png

yeah check in bios that your sata controller is in AHCI mode not IDE or COMPATIBLE :)

Had it plugged into my marvell 6gb sata port.
Put it on the intel port and its scoring 616, almost double.
Silly me.

Glad you sussed it.......celebration time with a blunt!

Hooooahhhh!!!

:)

I'm having the same issue.

I just install an MSI Z77A-G43 MB, an i7 3770, new ram and a Samsung 830 256gb SSD

MY windows experience keeps reading 5.9 for the primary hard disk...

I have the SSD pluged into the Sata 6gb/s slots.
I thought these were for the SSDs?

Whats an "Intel Port?"

In order to put more sata ports on a motherboard MSI may use additional onboard sata controllers. RTFM & find out which sata ports are controlled by the Intel controller Z77 & use those.

"RTFM" LOL I like that!

Anyway, this board came with a "user guide" and does not talk about controllers. Just says to plug your SSds into the 6GB/s ports.

However, online I found this;

On-Board SATA

• SATAII controller integrated in Intel® P67 (B3) chipset
- Up to 3Gb/s transfer speed.
- Supports four SATAII ports (SATA3~6) by P67 (B3) PCH
- SATA3~6 ports support RAID 0/1/5/10 mode by Intel P67 (B3) PCH

• SATAIII controller integrated in Intel® P67 (B3) chipset
- Up to 6Gb/s transfer speed.
- Supports two SATAIII ports (SATA1~2) by P67 (B3) PCH
- SATA1~2 ports support RAID 0/1 mode by Intel P67 (B3) PCH

So, I am using Intel ports, right?

They should be colored differently or be marked somehow. On my older P67A-GD55 the two SATAIII Intel ports are white IIRC, and the rest of the SATA ports are all the same color whether they belong to he integrated Intel controller or the Marvell one.

They should be colored differently or be marked somehow. On my older P67A-GD55 the two SATAIII Intel ports are white IIRC, and the rest of the SATA ports are all the same color whether they belong to he integrated Intel controller or the Marvell one.

Oh I have the SSDs plugged into the SATAIII ports. That I'm sure of. It was ports 1 & 2. That was clear in the user guide.

Do you think it could be testing the HDD raid drives? The computer is notably faster than the previous setup

Oh I have the SSDs plugged into the SATAIII ports. That I'm sure of. It was ports 1 & 2. That was clear in the user guide.

Do you think it could be testing the HDD raid drives? The computer is notably faster than the previous setup

Hi, FXDawg,

Check your BIOS to verify the ports are set to AHCI.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

You know, I cannot get into the bios.

I plug a hardwired keyboard in and it does not seem to recognize it in time for me to hit the DEL key and get into it...

Any suggestions there? And will that effect and data on the drive?

what keyboard, there are some BIOS issues with NKRO emulation over USB I know

thats probably not the problem then

really, you camp on the del key and it won't let you in BIOS?

try pulling all drives and see if it defaults in, then at least you could lengthen the keystroke window

Same issue with the Marvell controller but I have an older X58 board so no native SATA 3 for me. Glad you figured it out.

yea...I press it repeatedly and it just starts windows... It's like it isn't recognizing the keyboard. I'll try that. I am noticing rendering to be much slower than before...

I'm still only getting a 5.9 for the primary drive in WEI...
Which means exactly nothing. Don't bother to use it.

If you still can't enter the BIOS why not try a PS2 keyboard?

Try this procedure.

This will enable you to use a USB keyboard all the time.

Okay...i used the PS2 keyboard and got in. The SATA controller is set to AHCI...

It does seem as though the new configuration does not render as well...I just set it to OC genie II mode...I'll see if that helps

I wouldn't be OCing anything 'till I got everything else straight.

OCing does nothing for HD performance anyway.

I'd be changing to the Intel drivers.

Forget what winblows says, run crystaldiskmark or as ssd benchmark and post results.

I'm having trouble getting images to show so I gave a link to the image of the crystaldiskmark results

redir

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=40B3E415DE16DD99&resid=40B3E415DE16DD99%21112&authkey=AJ8gFus8te9sFWU" width="320" height="288" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=40B3E415DE16DD99!112

I guess it is doing what it is advertised to do...

Last edited:
Sure looks like it, write speed is even a little higher than the M4. The WEI is nonsense, sometimes it's not even updated properly.

I appreciate you guys going through this with me!! for some reason NavisWorks is reloading much faster!

Thanks everyone!

Possibly relevant little tidbit of info. I have an old k7 board that will only ever go into cmos setup when I press 'del' in two carefully offset moments. Like, I have to tap it once when POST begins and once right before the initial screen disappears. Then and only then it gets registered. Aside from that it's a perfectly fine board.
It's sometimes weird like that :D if you do get in, enable usb legacy support and such.

Oh man some stupid toolbar came down with crystaldiskmark called WhiteSmoke and I can't get rid of it. It doesn't show up in the remove programs list...

Any ideas?

Oh man some stupid toolbar came down with crystaldiskmark called WhiteSmoke and I can't get rid of it. It doesn't show up in the remove programs list...

Any ideas?

Hi, FXDawg,

Check this Guide and see if it helps?

Chuklr

Back