new to WC, need help in design

guilTy

Limp Gawd
Alright guys, so far i havent bought anything but i was looking at these parts(keep in mind i am trying to keep this whole setup self contained in the case):
-DD 12volt pump
-athlon64 rbx block
-10 ft 1/2 inch tygon tubing
-dual 5 1/4 bay resevior
-maze4 chipset block
-geforce 6800 block* (hehe, i want it but cant justify paying that much for one right now)
-dual 80mm black ice radiator* (may change to a dual 120mm if a)i can afford it and b)if i can mod my case enough)
-various connectors and fittings

i have one of those alienware clone cases, y'know the ones just before those predetor looking cases came out, so i have a bit of room.

also, i have a bit of a OCD thing with cables, and i actually like to SEE my mobo, so cable routing is important(not water tubing, that i can understand being routed above my mobo)

oops, also forgot the routing sequence. is there a disadvantage to having the pump "pull" the water such as this:
res>rad>cpu>gpu>nb>pump>res(etc)

your help is greatly appreciated

guilTy said:
Alright guys, so far i havent bought anything but i was looking at these parts(keep in mind i am trying to keep this whole setup self contained in the case):
-DD 12volt pump
-athlon64 rbx block
-10 ft 1/2 inch tygon tubing
-dual 5 1/4 bay resevior
-maze4 chipset block
-geforce 6800 block* (hehe, i want it but cant justify paying that much for one right now)
-dual 80mm black ice radiator* (may change to a dual 120mm if a)i can afford it and b)if i can mod my case enough)
-various connectors and fittings

i have one of those alienware clone cases, y'know the ones just before those predetor looking cases came out, so i have a bit of room.

also, i have a bit of a OCD thing with cables, and i actually like to SEE my mobo, so cable routing is important(not water tubing, that i can understand being routed above my mobo)

oops, also forgot the routing sequence. is there a disadvantage to having the pump "pull" the water such as this:
res>rad>cpu>gpu>nb>pump>res(etc)

your help is greatly appreciated

Get the TDX insted of the RBX. It's a better designed block that has only one outlet, and it gives the same temps as the RBX.

You also don't need a dual bayres. Bayreservoirs (and all reservoirs that fit in cases in general) do not add additional cooling power, and are bulky and unnecessary. Get a single bayres and leave yourself some more room in your drive bays.

You really do want a dual 120mm radiator like the XtremeII, or even better yet, a dangerden dual heatercore. The heatercores cool very well, and have very low flow restriction which is good for a multiblock system like you will have. There are many places you can put it in your casem so dont worry about that. Just don't worry about modding because if you are ambitious enough to try watercooling, then you have the will power and most likely the skills to dremel out some 120mm fan holes and some mounting holes.

Is there a disadvantage to going pump->reservoir->radiator->blocks->pump ???

YES!

Don't ever go that way with a pump. Pumps are made to push water through a system. This is also how head and pressure rates are maintined. Pulling water through a system will basically kill flow to where it would be close to 0, so don't do it.

Go either pump->radiator->blocks->res->pump OR pump->blocks->radiator->res->pump. Do whichever gives you the shortest tubing lengths.

Good luck!

-OMP

well, whats the point of DD selling the RBX if it offers no diff in performance? crazy little salespeople...

maybe it would help if you had the specs of what all is inside my bays(total4 51/4 and 2 31/2 visible):
plextor dvd+_r/w
SB audigy w/ break out box(seemed like a good idea at the time ;) )
FDDrive

hmmm, now where should i put those 120's? i already have a blow hole, should i mod that further and put it there? i was kinda going to use the dual 80's to double up as an exhaust out the back, and to put dual 120's in in the same spot would destroy the pci card brackets and part of the PS :)
im almost inclined to take out my 3 1/2 bays and toss it (the rad) in that area, but that was where i was going to put the pump (kinda out of sight).
also, can one mount one of those DD12v pumps into 5 1/4 screw-holes on the side or would running it horizontally hut the pump(i wouldnt think so but i havent the slightest)

also on the heatercores, are they "fan-Ready" and "tube-ready" to where all i have to do is connect the hoses and fans and get to blastin'?

thanks

guilTy said:
well, whats the point of DD selling the RBX if it offers no diff in performance? crazy little salespeople...

maybe it would help if you had the specs of what all is inside my bays(total4 51/4 and 2 31/2 visible):
plextor dvd+_r/w
SB audigy w/ break out box(seemed like a good idea at the time ;) )
FDDrive

hmmm, now where should i put those 120's? i already have a blow hole, should i mod that further and put it there? i was kinda going to use the dual 80's to double up as an exhaust out the back, and to put dual 120's in in the same spot would destroy the pci card brackets and part of the PS :)
im almost inclined to take out my 3 1/2 bays and toss it (the rad) in that area, but that was where i was going to put the pump (kinda out of sight).
also, can one mount one of those DD12v pumps into 5 1/4 screw-holes on the side or would running it horizontally hut the pump(i wouldnt think so but i havent the slightest)

also on the heatercores, are they "fan-Ready" and "tube-ready" to where all i have to do is connect the hoses and fans and get to blastin'?

thanks

Well, the RBX was the first design of that type, but people complained about the dual outlet blocks and said they were more interested in using a single outlet block, hence the newer and improved TDX. Performance is about the same, but with one outlet.

Popular places to mount 120mm radiators (especially dual ones) are on top of the case where the top (or top two) 5.25 bays are. You would have to dremel out some 120mm exaust holes on the top of your case though as well as some fan holes. Another option is like you said, in front of the case and remove your 3.5 drives. I believe that a dual heatercore will fit there if you remove the mounting brackets from both 3.5 cages. Then you would have to find a place for your FDD and HDD(s). I would suggest going with the front of the case if you can fit it, but keep the top of the case in mind as well. Check out some pics in the watercooling sticky gallery to get some ideas.

Yes, you can mount the DD pump on the mounting holes sideways and it won't hurt performance or functionallity. You do want to make sure there is some vibration dampening becase if you dont dampen the pump, it will vibrate the case and be very very very noisy. An old mouse pad or some neoprene or something will do nicely. Just put the anti vibration layer between the pump and the case and you are all set.

The heatercores are tubing and fan ready. Dangerden gives you the bolts and screws to mount to the heatercore, and you just slip tubing over the barbs of the heatercore. Pretty easy.

-OMP

ok, that pretty much wraps things up, but one more question:
block circuit first, or rad THEN blocks?

ooh, wait one more:
can god microwave a burrito SO hot, He can't even eat it?
couldn't resist :D

guilTy said:
ok, that pretty much wraps things up, but one more question:
block circuit first, or rad THEN blocks?

ooh, wait one more:
can god microwave a burrito SO hot, He can't even eat it?
couldn't resist :D

Go whichever has the cleanest and shortest tubing route. That way you keep flowrates up and temps low.

-OMP

P.S. Hm..... Don't care.

ok, i have decided to put rad(youve convinced me, dual 120mm) in the top of my case and just mod the blowhole a little further. put the pump in the general vicinity of the 3 1/2 bays, and the single 5 1/4 bay res just above my dvd burner(2nd from bottom).

the single res kinda comes from not having room now that i am putting heatercore in top-blowhole area...

in this config:
res>pump>blocks>rad>res

once again, correct me if i am wrong

Back