new to WHS, all mac environment!?

theDeviL

Limp Gawd
So i was considering getting the HP mediasmart server 495, because it's finally fully compatible with mac OS X. but i cannot for the life of me justify $700 for 1.5tb installed.
so i was wondering... I have aquired a copy of WHS, if I build my own custom one (which i have more than enough hardware for) does it come with that nifty os x client or is this exclusive to HP?

thanks in advance! :)

If WHS can serve files over AFP then yes it will work quite easily. On the other hand, you can use time machine to backup to SMB shares though you cannot do a full system restore from these. Ive been using the SMB methods for several months now so if you have any questions about it let me know.

well I know i can use it for backup and files server solutions, but i'm referring to the OS X administration that is now possible on the 495 due to some sort of osx client that was not available before. You need at least one PC in the household to administrate before, now it can all be done from a mac (in the HP mediasmart 495 that is) I can't seem to be able to find if this is WHS or a device exclusive.

My server has it's own monitor, keyboard and mouse so I administer that way.

Or you could use parallels, or install windows in bootcamp, or any other virtualization option.

It's not something you need to log into often. I only need to once in a blue moon.

Ah, so originally you needed a windows pc to connect to the HP's admin interface and now your saying they have added the ability for macs to connect as well. Perhaps they moved the entire thing to a web ui. Anyway if you build your own and dont want a keyboar/monitor/mouse on it you can just use VNC to control it as macs have a built in VNC viewer.

EDIT:
Did a little more digging. the new "OSX administration" is the ability to do a restore from a network time machine backup. So in the event of total drive failure you just reinstall from the HP instead of reinstalling osx then restoring your data. Just 1 less step.

well thanks for the suggestions on available options! if anyone uses macs with WHS and had any info on weather this is available to DIY solutions, please shed some light.

thanks!

after much research, it appears to be an HP exclusive, I'm now on the hunt for this magic tool! anyone have an HP mediasmart?

Last edited:
Did a little more digging. the new "OSX administration" is the ability to do a restore from a network time machine backup. So in the event of total drive failure you just reinstall from the HP instead of reinstalling osx then restoring your data. Just 1 less step.

guess thats what they want the $700 for?! :|

I just use an external for my time machine backups.

My server houses all my videos, movies, pictures, music, documents, files etc.

You know, you can use the remote desktop connection to connect to the server and administer it that way. Then you don't have to have a windows or VM install to be able to install the console. You won't need it.

There are also ways to make time machine backup to WHS or any network share. Just google it.

I just use VNC to get to my WHS from my MBP. No need for a separate admin console. I connect with SMB. If you want a Time Machine backup, just create say a 500gb disk image on your server, mount it, and backup through that.

is an i7920 a powerhog? I know its probably too much cpu for a WHS but i was building a W7 rig and baught all these parts and never fully finished so now i have a some left over stuff.

here's what i have:
Q9550
i7920
EVGA X58
GA EP45 UD3

which mobo and cup is greener? this is the only part that is appealing from a HP MSS stand. I need a low footprint cuz I know I'll be using it extensively.

is an i7920 a powerhog? I know its probably too much cpu for a WHS but i was building a W7 rig and baught all these parts and never fully finished so now i have a some left over stuff.

here's what i have:
Q9550
i7920
EVGA X58
GA EP45 UD3

which mobo and cup is greener? this is the only part that is appealing from a HP MSS stand. I need a low footprint cuz I know I'll be using it extensively.

Q9550 = 95W
i7 920 = 130W

So since your trying to do a green whs pick the Q9550, but it would be better to pick up a slower lower wattage dual core.

Yup... a slower, low wattage dual core is perfectly fine for WHS. I have an Athlon II 240 in mine (2.8Ghz, 65w) and it rarely goes over the 800Mhz limit (lowest Cool 'n' Quiet will allow). The 4GB of RAM I have in the machine is 200% overkill too. I have yet to use more than 1GB of RAM.

a 780g board with GbE, and a 45w DC and a GB of RAM is more than sufficient for a WHS build LMK if you need a board. I happen to have one, and it's for sale.

Whoa....why do you need a quadcore fileserver?

ask Techfre@k. the tardbot just built a q6600/nforce9400/4gb whs. i have convinced to make it a VM, thank god...what a tard though

Whoa....why do you need a quadcore fileserver?

I don't need a Quad core WHS it's the hard ware I already have laying around but I don't wanna build a box thats gonna cost me more money on my monthly electric bill in the long run. for that i'll just blow the money on a HP MSS and call it a day.

well I was going to build but i just found a deal for $599 shipped which I've posted under the deals section and opted for that, I think its a good buy.

Q? it ships with a 1.5TB drive, I have a brand new 2TB drive. HOw easy is it to swap the main drive and restore the OS? i'd like to potentially expand to 8TB's.

thanks!

Not tough, put it in, press the button on the WHS to put it in WinPE mode and restore from another PC.

ok this HP MSS does not want to initiate the recovery mode so i can replace that main hard drive, it does not seem as simple. anyone have experience with this?

Back