New version of DX9 (2/2/07)

Not able to find one as of yet, but I have a feeling this may have something to do with Vista (take that with a grain of salt).

Not able to find one as of yet, but I have a feeling this may have something to do with Vista (take that with a grain of salt).
:p Yeah, and almost every other supported version of Windows.

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition ; Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003 x64 editions; Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for 64-Bit Itanium-Based Systems; Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Web Edition; Windows Small Business Server 2003 ; Windows Vista; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Business N; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic; Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic N; Windows Vista Home Premium; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Starter; Windows Vista Starter N; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Home Edition N; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional N; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

It's just a usual update of DX. It happens several times per year. The December update also had Vista listed.

Those updates are meant for developers aren't they? I never heard anything on if they actually helped performance or reliability.

It's just a usual update of DX. It happens several times per year. The December update also had Vista listed.
I don't understand that "usual update" thing. I would love to know why I should update.

well isnt the actually dx9c just the library? they may have some minor bugfixes or optimizations in this

For some reason or another I recall updating DX a pain in the azz. I am scared .... do I use driver cleaner ? lolz

This Feb release is a library of files for developers. The EXE simply unzips the files into a user-specified folder. It's not an installation per se.

^^ yes it is. cuz after you unzip into the user specified folder you have to go into that folder and click setup.exe, which will update your dx accordingly.

There was a Dec 2006 User Runtime on the DirectX site. Are we supposed to grab that, or was it only for Devs to include with thier products?

I downloaded the december release about a week ago and it has a few cabs that say DX10. Chances are these DX releases are for win2k_xp_vista, and support up to dx10 (for vista only of course).

Typical new games usually require the latest build of DX. So can't hurt to have it installed ahead of time.

Download the 2-2-2007 redist, which is the full install.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0c-5e44-4864-93cd-464ef59da050&DisplayLang=en

DirectX is updated quarterly. Generally, the updates are for developers.

DirectX is updated quarterly. Generally, the updates are for developers.

Actually it's every over month :p
If the developer uses new functionality from the update, the end-user will need the corresponding runtimes or it won't work.

When I run setup, I get the following message:

DXSETUP.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Although I get this error, when I click the OK button, the installation proceeds and I get a the normal message saying components have been installed and ready to use. If I run Setup again, the same error is displayed.

Any idea what this is and how I may correct it?

Thanks.

The DX 2006 update actually had some relevant end-user updates - some game that I installed last month required them (don't remember which one). I'd like to know what the changes are for this one, too, although I'm sure if a game needs them the update will be included with the install. Generally speaking, I don't hop on the upgrade train unless it's a security update or provides new functionality/bug fixes to something I am specifically using. I wait for the major rollups and do it all then. Everyone should, of course, update according to their own needs; I prefer not to beta test hotfixes unless I absolutely have to do so.

Caffeinated, i don't think many people understand that philosophy of updating when you need to, unless you hose your machine a few times for it or are a developer. I just got out of college and have spent many long nights wonder wtf happened then you start to release sometimes the updates break things that aren't obvious.

What's New in the February 2007 DirectX SDK

This version of the DirectX SDK contains the following new features, tools, and documentation.

PIX 64-bit Support

A new version of PIX runs natively on 64-bit editions of Windows Vista and Windows XP. It also captures data on 64-bit target programs. The capture files that are created by the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are compatible, and can be played back on either operating system.

PIX Vista Limited User Account Support

PIX now runs with user accounts on Windows Vista that do not have administrator privileges.

PIX Direct3D 10 Frame Counters

PIX includes new frame counters for Direct3D 10 API usage that are similar to the frame counters available for Direct3D 9 in previous releases.

DirectSound Header Updated with Windows Vista Specific Speaker Configurations

The DirectSound header has been updated with new configurations and capabilities that are specific to Windows Vista. For details, see What's New in DirectSound.

Documentation for DirectX 9 for Windows Vista

Documentation for Windows Vista's Direct3D9Ex interface is included in this release. The headers, libraries, and samples that are related to Direct3D9Ex are available as part of the Windows SDK, also known as the Platform SDK for Windows Vista.

New Technical Article: Installation Best Practices for Massively Multiplayer Online Games

The Installation Best Practices for Massively Multiplayer Online Games article discusses how to create a chain of trust design for MMOG client installation and custom game update systems that works well with the Windows operating system and with the new Windows Vista security model. The approach is designed to enable patching of MMOG titles, while supporting standard user accounts that have restricted access to the hard drive and system registry.

Samples

This release includes two new samples.

* The DDSWithoutD3DX sample demonstrates loading a DDS file without taking a D3DX dependency.
* The MultiMon10 sample demonstrates driving multiple monitors with D3D10.

For the end user basically nothing gets added. The only thing that changes is the extensions DLL which a game would include if needed. That's about the only thing that possibly could make a difference to an end user. It's just the typical documentation and sample update that they always release. The updates might occasionaly include an update or new extension but that's about it.

ya you would think it would include the needed files to run the game inthe disk no need for me to update this till a game does it for me on install! thanks for updates tho

Back