New Video Card

Koreanzulu

Weaksauce
I just built a new rig, and my video card is slowing it down massively. I am currenty using a Leadtek Ti-4800SE. I am thinking about buying a MSI 6600GT. Is it bad that is has only 128bit memory? I was also considering a 9800 Pro or 9600XT. What would be the best option out there for the 200ish price range i am in. Thanks in advance.

the best option in the 200 dollar price range is the GeForce 6600GT, probably the MSI one for 200 dollars.

6600GT is a great choice, however with all the "enthusiasts" moving to PCIE, you might wanna check the forums for some really nice deals on x800 pros, or 6800gts, assuming your rig is AGP,

nothing will be in the the 200 range im pretty sure, but you might stetch your dollar alot further towards a beefier card,

enjoy the new rig,
-P

id strongly recommend a 6800 non ultra and if you cant afford 30 to 60 bucks more then a 6600 Gt will be good too

yea i was looking into that, i was a little confused about why the 6800nu's don't have as high as core speed and memory speeds, but more pipes. I don't know much about video cards though, could someone please explain about pipes and the memory like ddr3

6600 Gt's have

500 mhz core
900 to 1000 mhz effective Ram DDR3
8 Textre pipelines
4 Vertex Shaders ( correct me if im wrong)
128 bit Memory Bus

6800 Non ultra's have :

325 mhz core
700 mhz DDR 1 ram
12 texture pipelines *****these can be unlocked sometimes to 16 pipes if the manufacture didnt damage the extra pipes so you wouldnt get those extra pipes****
5 vertex pipelines ( i cant remember )
and a 256 bit Memoory Bus

basically the 6800 non ultra looks slower than the 6600 Gt until you notice that it has 4 more texture pipelines, 1 more vertex shader, and a wider 256 bit Memory Bus.

Hell, if you're looking at clock speed, the 6600 GT is clocked faster than the 6800 Ultra. The 6800 NU is better than the 6600 GT and well worth the extra money. Besides, you can unlock & OC to 6800 GT speeds.

Intel_Hydralisk said:
you can unlock & OC to 6800 GT speeds.

Let's not go that far ;) (memory won't go that far)

My vote is for the 6600GT or if you have the cash the 6800NU is GREAT and well worth it.

If you don't have around 200$(at which point you could prolly stretch it 50$ more) then 6600gt's sell for like 180$ on newegg. I like my msi 6600gt agp, but when I bought it Leadtek had been out of stock for a couple weeks and it was roughly the same price as everything. That's not the case now

Pci-e should be around the same or a little less if you're changing mobo too.

If you can, I would wait a few months. Nexgen cards hopefully will be coming out soon and prices will drop.

Instead of a 6800nu for 250$ you might beable to get the 6800gt for 275$(o that would be nice if prices droped that much)

I have a geforce 4 mx440se :( and I dont have the money for a new card, but if I did, I would probalbly wait. Sure its very temping to just upgrade now, but a 6800gt and something else worth 50-100$(sound card, speakers, etc...) in a few months is much more temping.

First post, yay me.

I think im going to go with the EVGA 6800 nu Thanks for the help guys. What does unlocking the extra pipes involve? And has anyone had any major problems or issues with this card?

shoes said:
the best option in the 200 dollar price range is the GeForce 6600GT, probably the MSI one for 200 dollars.

I agree on the GPU selection, but the MSI cards do not have temperature sensors. If you aren't going to overclock that's not really a problem, but for me it would be.

I have extended my price range to aronud 250ish :D i waas loooking at the EVGA card. It looks nice but doesn't come with many extras but im not too interested in playing crappy games. Does it look like a nice card, or should i wait and save for a GT?

you know, i saw a BFG 6800nu OC for 250 a while ago... dont know if that still happens

Id prefer not to drop over 250 (max) on a video card since im only running an athlon xpa and 512 ram. Has anyone had any success or troubles unlcoking the pipes on the eVGA?

as far as i know it doesnt matter where you get the card........ just luck of the draw if it unlocks

Back