*New* Viewsonic VX2255 wmb. 22" 1000:1 contrast ratio, 5ms response time

Klint

n00b
webcam_th01.jpg

Available in APRIL'07 - . Looks very good and a good fight to the Samsung 226BW and the LG L226WT.

Integrated 1.3 megapixel WebCam and microphone, 5ms video response, 1000:1 contrast ratio. VX 2255 wmb Windows Vista Certified , height, tilt, swivel adjustments.

VX 2255 wmb .pdf brochure

link: Viewsonic VX 2255 wmb

Have you guys seen any reviews or seen one yet?

Spew forth.
smile.gif

Nice, I may have to return one of my samsung226bw, and get one of these, just for the integrated webcam!!

Will be available in white or black, per Viewsonic website.
Thanks for the info.
Hope is has HDCP!

Will be available in white or black, per Viewsonic website.
Thanks for the info.
Hope is has HDCP!

Yes, it does have HDCP!.
biggrin.gif

The VX2255 wmb/wmh is Vista premium certified according to their website. Read at the bottom of the page.

"The premium level of certification means that the display will meet all of the features of Vista, including bi-directional DDC-CI communication and High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) support."

Whats bi-directional DDC-CI communication ??

Display Data Channel/Command Interface (DDC/CI) is an advanced display technology, an international industrial standard developed by VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association) to expand upon an existing DDC standard. This standard adds control functionality without the need for additional connections.

The main advantage of DDC/CI is its bi-directional communication structure between PC and monitor, without the need of another cable. All the data is transmitted in both directions via the video graphics card and the standard VGA or DVI signal cable. This capability allows for functions like monitor control, adjustments and diagnostics to be conducted via software using the mouse and keyboard.

Samsung's Magic Tune is based in this technology allowing you to calibrate and tune certain monitors using the mouse. It is one step above the OSD (On Screen Display) that we see in LCD's.

For DDC/CI to be enable, the video card has to be able to do it, not all video cards support this feature and the operating system has to support it as well. Windows Vista has full DDC/CI support and so is Windows XP. Windows 2000 does NOT provide support.

And of course, the monitor has to be DDC/CI enabled.

Height adjustable, webcam, seems to have good quality. Price?

might be worth waitng for this LCD....especially since the 226bw seems to be undergoing its own *panel lottery.*

retail price seems to be around that of the 226bw.

Let's wait for some site and user reviews first though.

If I read correctly, viewsonic website lists contrast at 700, thus not really a directly comparable competitor to Samsung 225BW or LG 226WT. I realize there are different ways of measuring contrast, though...what do folks thing the significance of this spec. diffwerence is (obviously real answer won't be till we can see/test the viewsonic)?

LW

Is there anymore info on this monitor besides what's on the VS website?

Just got email confirmation from Viewsonic...

Contrast ratio on this baby is 1000:1. :D

If it has as good of picture quality as the Samsung 226bw, then I think we've got a new winner in the 22" category. I can't wait to check this out.

Viewsonic Vx2255wmb Grades
1. Picture quality - ?
2. Styling - A+
3. Stand (tilts, swivals, & HEIGHT adjustable) - A
4. Extras: HDCP, Webcam, mic, & Speakers.
Only thing missing is HDMI input.

I myself am more interested in the vx205. same resolution on the 22" and the 20" means better quality :D

Personally I think the monitor looks very much like the VX2230. Same physiognomy and stand, even the bezel's ornament that encircles it looks the same. You say it's advertised at $700? For the webcam, mike and speakers? Ridiculous. Most of monitor built-in speakers are crap anyway, unusable for other than operating system sounds. Of course, I may completely be wrong, just that I've studied the 2230 a lot since I wanted to buy it. It's a very good monitor but it lacks HDCP so I nixed it.

I wouldn't get too excited over this monitor just yet...

All you need to do is check out that pdf file for the VX2255 linked in an earlier post.

The official PR buzz line says stuff like... 1000:1 Contrast Ratio! 300 cd/m2 Brightness levels! Gosh golly wowzers!

That's all very nice but the actual tech specs listed on page two of the pdf file are more telling...

Contrast Ratio - 700:1
Brightness - 280 cd/m2

These are the exact same stats for the VG2230 and VX2235 monitors. To be honest it looks like Viewsonic is simply releasing yet another variant of the VX22xx line. The VX2245 is simply a VX2235 with an iPod cradle and some USB ports. Basically the VX2255 is simply a VX2235 with built in webcam... whoopdeedoo... and an adjustable stand... hurray! *golf clap*

So if you're expecting the VX2255 to sport a fancy new panel with less backlight bleed and improved color accuracy I think you're going to be disappointed.

I asked the Viewsonic sales staff and they told me it was 1000:1 & 300 ccd. I don't know whether to believe them or the spec sheet. But it doesn't make sense for them to release a 20" version with those specs and not a 22." Also, like you mentioned, a 22" with lower specs would just be redux of an older model. Anyhow, I'm gonna let my eyes be the final judge.

bump from the past, is this monitor any good compared to the 226BW, i missed out on the insta save 20$ on the 226BW and this one has a insta save 140$ currently going on.

however which specs are right. every site is giving me either 700:1 contrast ratio or 1000:1 and 280cd/m^2 or 300cd/m^2

has anyone confirmed the stats debated above because it's been one month and they're still discrepancies?

just got this monitor and noticed that, when completely black, there is about 1cm of bleeding on all sides; would that be considered defective? should i get a replacement, or is this normal for LCDs 20" and over?

thanks in advance :)

However, as Spino and I said before, this monitor appears to be another vx2230 with its good and lesser qualities. I'd exchange it but getting less bleeding with TN monitors is lottery. Some have little, just like my HP w2207, others have it quite noticeable. Too, all of the spec pages on Viewsonic's site say that contrast ratio is 700:1 which hasn't changed since it was posted several months ago. This is why you should trust those specs and not what you're told by sales & marketing whose purpose is to sell. The VX2230 had 700:1. And virtually ALL specs of the VX2255 are those sported buy the VX2230. I don't want to be descouraging here. The VX2230 was quite a good monitor. I did not buy it because it was lacking HDCP.

Question: does the bleeding really bother you? After all 1cm is not that much. Is it intense? Does it influence dark color rendition much? If it does, exchange it.

i suppose its not really THAT bad, however, i have not noticed it on any of my previous LCDs. but if its just a 'lottery' as you put it, then it is perhaps not worth the hassle of exchanging it.

thanks for the reply :)

So what do people think of this display now that they've had it awhile? I've heard that it's a TN display. Can anyone confirm this?

long story short:
bought the VX2255 at costco.com.
shopping at best buy saw HP W2207.
fell in love.
returned VX2255 to costco.
buying HP W2207 at best buy soon.
VX2255 doesn't even compare to the HP W2207.
The End

P.S. costco.com has the VX2255 for $260 if anyone's interested.

I wanted to like this monitor as I like how tidy the built in web cam looks compared to the type that sit on your monitor.

For some reason I hate viewsonic bezels and this one is no different. It's a glosy fingerprint magnet. A concern as I find myself constantly adjusting TN panels for the best viewing angle.

There is also a line of incredibly cheap plasticy imitation chrome on the bottom that really detracts from the overall appearance.

Nice that it has a headset adapter on the side. Not nice that it offers no external microphone. Since the monitor only has USB it essentialy translates usb to analog 1/8th inch analog.

Hard to tell the PQ as the store was using VGA inputs. Did not look bad nor did it look great.

I think if I wanted a cheap bezel I'd go with the acer on sale at BB tomorow ($189?) and use the delta in cost for a decent web cam.....

Back