New virus has taken over

illuminate

[H]ard|Gawd
My mom just got this bloody aweful virus on her laptop. It has delted most of the start menu shortcuts... its just everywhere in her PC...

Im trying to boot from her system restore disk.. but i think that the virus has messed with the BIOS.. or something.. so, i dont even get the option to boot from CD, or even that loading screen anymore... i need some help... where do i start with this? Thanks

Illuminate

can you get into the bios and edit the settings? usually it's the delete key to get in. sometimes it's f2. try that for a start to get the cd to boot first.

it didnt mess with the bios, what kind of pc is it? you just need the right key... or take it to the geek squad.

F10 is another possibility to enter BIOS on some laptops.

I personally would try to boot it into a live Linux CD and run ClamAV to disinfect it.

backtrack is awesome if you want to make an image of someone's hard drive without them knowing it, you can copy it over the network to a remote location easily and do a bit by bit analysis of it.

I haven't looked at the software yet, but I sure would hope that you at least need a login to the PC in question. otherwise, that would be a huge security hole. so, at least then they'd know you have a login, but maybe not that you're copying the hard drive.

I haven't looked at the software yet, but I sure would hope that you at least need a login to the PC in question. otherwise, that would be a huge security hole. so, at least then they'd know you have a login, but maybe not that you're copying the hard drive.
A security hole is having physical access. Once that's achieved, everything else is cake.

To create a physical image you don't need anything but physical access to the hard drive. It can all be done from a bootable disk.

Common BIOS entry keys: F1, F2, F10, del, esc - del and f2 are the most common these days but I have had at least one computer that used any of those.

To create a physical image you don't need anything but physical access to the hard drive. It can all be done from a bootable disk.

i see what it does now. i thought brons was saying that you can remotely pull an image from someone's hard drive without them knowing; not that you can push an image remotely from someone's PC that you have physical access to.

you don't need to enter the bios, just press F9 or F12 to get into the menu and select the proper CD-rom... I used to always go in and change the bios, but its a lot fast the use the boot menu there is a reason why they have it...

Back