New Voodoo laptop?

dudewth

[H]|G Minecraft Division Leader
Have there been any rumors of a new voodoo laptop? I really like the envy 133 and don't want to get one and then have a new model drop on me a month later.

HP has focused the remaining Voodoo team on their Black/Firebird line of gaming desktops. Unfortunately, the Black/Firebird line has been selling like crap (it's not even advertised on the HP site anymore), so I'd guess an HP/Voodoo laptop is unlikely at this point.

Too bad... I thought the new line of desktops looked incredible.

HP has focused the remaining Voodoo team on their Black/Firebird line of gaming desktops. Unfortunately, the Black/Firebird line has been selling like crap (it's not even advertised on the HP site anymore), so I'd guess an HP/Voodoo laptop is unlikely at this point.

Too bad... I thought the new line of desktops looked incredible.

Yea that's really unfortunate. I was originally looking at a netbook but I just can't stand the screen resolution and a few other small things. The Envy 133 is basically exactly what I want except that you can't get a 6-cell battery. The lowest cost SSD version is out of stock now too and I'm REALLY hoping that it's not a permanent OOS. I would just buy the HDD version but apparently changing out the drive (which also requires finding a compatible 1.8" SSD) apparently requires a complicated complete disassembly. It's never easy trying to find the "perfect" machine. That's why I build my own desktops! :mad:

honestly, when it comes to ultraportable 13" laptops, the Macbook air is a pretty damn good deal now. It comes with a 2.13ghz C2D, 9400m, and a 128GB SSD for $1800. I don't think you can do much better than it. Skip on the voodoo...that's if you like OSX

Last edited:
Actually if you get the refurbished last gen MBA from apple's website its around 1500 and it is actually faster than the new 2.13 in many cases.

You can get the Dell Studio XPS 13 with a P8600, 128GB SSD, 9500m + 9100m Hybrid SLI, 4GB RAM, and LED screen for about $1400. That seems to be the best deal for small notebooks right now.

vodoo is a HUGE ripoff
Everything's relative. I don't mind spending extra money for looks, build quality & getting everything I want.

Actually if you get the refurbished last gen MBA from apple's website its around 1500 and it is actually faster than the new 2.13 in many cases.
Really? In what ways?

You can get the Dell Studio XPS 13 with a P8600, 128GB SSD, 9500m + 9100m Hybrid SLI, 4GB RAM, and LED screen for about $1400. That seems to be the best deal for small notebooks right now.
Waaaay to heavy! I'm looking for something under 4 lbs and I really don't need an integrated CD/DVD drive on my laptop. Of course I won't get nearly as much power as the XPS13 but I'm ok with that. I have a desktop for gaming (which I rarely do) and use a flash drive much much more often for transfers.

macbook_air_mid09.html
Thats the review where it claims the difference.

http://www.macworld.com/article/141296/2009/06/macbook_air_mid09.html

The XPS 13" is to heavy? Someone really needs to hit the Gym lol :D. For that much money, you might as well get a full blown laptop & a nice backpack or carrying case. I simply don't see the benefit of an ultra portable laptop outsife of the better battery life. It falls in between a REAL laptop & a netbook & honestly, for $1800, I rather get a real laptop.

The XPS 13" is to heavy? Someone really needs to hit the Gym lol :D. For that much money, you might as well get a full blown laptop & a nice backpack or carrying case. I simply don't see the benefit of an ultra portable laptop outsife of the better battery life. It falls in between a REAL laptop & a netbook & honestly, for $1800, I rather get a real laptop.

Thats what YOU want. There are different things for different peoples wants.

I would love an Envy, does everything I need in an awesome form factor and great build quality. Too bad it came out after I got my T61.

Thats what YOU want. There are different things for different peoples wants.

I would love an Envy, does everything I need in an awesome form factor and great build quality. Too bad it came out after I got my T61.

I know, it's what separates the true [H]ard|OCP'ers from the wannabes :p

Voodoo is even more ridiculously overpriced than Alienware. 1/2 in the hardware and 1/2 for the name.. Sager all the way..

Voodoo is even more ridiculously overpriced than Alienware. 1/2 in the hardware and 1/2 for the name.. Sager all the way..

QFT

The new sager np9850 is insane for the price. 280M GPU in sli for the price of a single GPU laptop from every other laptop vendor.

I've had a Dell 15" laptop that weighed 7 pounds, an hp that weighed 6 and now an hp that weighs 5. I want to put something in a bag along with books and not feel like I'm AT the gym. I work out enough, don't need one every time I want to walk somewhere. I spend a lot of time in airports with my laptop.

I've used a few netbooks and my biggest complaint is the screen & resolution. 1366x768 is fine but on a 10" screen it's a bit ridiculous. I'll probably get a netbook for around the house as well.

I travel a lot myself but I carry my 10+ pound heavily modified inspiron 1720. I work out like hell though so the weight of the laptop doesn't phase me at all. I do get a kick out of the fact that macbook users constantly lean over to watch a Blu Ray movie with me in the airport:D. I have no issue with the air outside of the price. It's just the fact that you can get something far more useful cheaper. That's just me though =).

I really like the Adamo, Envy, and Macbook Air but in the end I chose the Sony Vaio Z540.

If you're interested I'll find the page where I ordered mine. It's really great bang for buck. The specs blow the others out of the water. It's a 13.1" laptop but is not as thin overall but lighter. It's less than 3 lbs.

I would not get the Adamo or Envy at these prices. The Envy looks pretty good but has no heart. HP is not doing well with Voodoo and it looks like they're going to die off. I would rather go with the Macbook Air at this point. But I wish it had more than 1 usb and had a HDMI like the Vaio Z.

I really like the Adamo, Envy, and Macbook Air but in the end I chose the Sony Vaio Z540.

If you're interested I'll find the page where I ordered mine. It's really great bang for buck. The specs blow the others out of the water. It's a 13.1" laptop but is not as thin overall but lighter. It's less than 3 lbs.

I would not get the Adamo or Envy at these prices. The Envy looks pretty good but has no heart. HP is not doing well with Voodoo and it looks like they're going to die off. I would rather go with the Macbook Air at this point. But I wish it had more than 1 usb and had a HDMI like the Vaio Z.

Would you please? I am interested in getting one as well. :cool:

Back