New way to get naked?

npurdin

Weaksauce
It's late, I'm tired, but I think I got a sweet idea.. figured I'd throw it out there and see what yall think.

One of the biggest problems with removing the IHS on an A64 CPU is that the core is prone to cracking/chipping due to the pressure exerted by the HS.

If one were to leave the rim if the IHS intact and simply remove the top of the IHS, one could gain the cooling effects of going naked, but without such a high risk of damaging the CPU core. Now cutting the IHS at the top is out of the question.. but what about sanding it off?

How thick is the IHS? Could the surface be "lapped" off? (I use quotes cuz this is a lot more than just lapping)

If this was possible, simply sanding on the top till you get to the thermal grease from the IHS, then cleaning it up and lapping till the rim of the IHS is even with the core... seems like it would work.

I'm really not sure if this is too much work for not enough reward, but it seems like a good approach.. any suggestions? Has anyone done it yet? Am I retarded and not thinking straight?

Let the flood begin:

npurdin said:
If one were to leave the rim if the IHS intact and simply remove the top of the IHS, one could gain the cooling effects of going naked, but without such a high risk of damaging the CPU core. Now cutting the IHS at the top is out of the question.. but what about sanding it off?

It wouldn't work. The Die is under pretty far, so it wouldn't work.

How thick is the IHS? Could the surface be "lapped" off? (I use quotes cuz this is a lot more than just lapping)

5mm. The rim around the heatspreader is 1mm. The other 4mm is on top, between the die and the heatsink. Solid copper.

If this was possible, simply sanding on the top till you get to the thermal grease from the IHS, then cleaning it up and lapping till the rim of the IHS is even with the core... seems like it would work.

Nope.

I'm really not sure if this is too much work for not enough reward, but it seems like a good approach.. any suggestions? Has anyone done it yet? Am I retarded and not thinking straight?

Let the flood begin:[/QUOTE]

It's not a bad idea. But, why not just go with the Athlon XP pads, or make a shim Athlon-xp style?

npurdin said:

You aren't crazy. I have thought of this a few times too, with my old prescott. It will work, if you take your time...

If you do it with sandpaper you would have to start with something like 180grit until it got very thin, then go to 220 until it looked like the top of theheatspreader was about to fall off. Then you would have to progress to 400 until you touched the core. If the core has any "unflattness" to it, you would have to continue lapping with 800+ until the top of the core AND the remnants of the heatspreader were even with each other.

or just take a dremel to the outside of the IHS rim...this would effectively cut out the middle of the IHS

InorganicMatter said:
So what you're saying is, not 100% nude, just extremely thin see-though clothing? :D
Like cutting a hole around the fun parts...

Way too thick to sand through. Dremel is way more dangerous than a razor blade.

Stick to the razor blade... very safe if you take your time.

Absolute0 said:
Way too thick to sand through. Dremel is way more dangerous than a razor blade.

Stick to the razor blade... very safe if you take your time.

Not too thick to sand through... just very labor intensive.. :D

So you just want a CPU shim? Why not go find one for an older cpu and make it work with the a64 chip?

Haste266 said:
or just take a dremel to the outside of the IHS rim...this would effectively cut out the middle of the IHS

exactly what i was thinking.

cut around on the "top" of the HS area, so you just take the top off, the sand., save some time and i dont see it really being that hard if your careful enough and it would save you alot of time.

Ahhh I remember shims....

I had a few for my old Althlon Thunderbirds CPUs and AthlonXPs.. (early ones before bridges were on top.. like the 1600+ MMM... )

I think a better Idea is small pads like athlon XPs have.. or jsut be carefull and you wont need either...

I spose its not worth the time then... sounds like its gonna be more dangerous to the CPU than simply using the razor blade and adding some shims later.
I didn't realize the IHS was that thick... thought it was just a thin cover on the core.

BTW: what is the material on the outside of the IHS, if there's a bunch of copper in there? Would it be wise/useful to get rid of this layer, just to get down to a copper-on-copper connection between HS and IHS? Curious if anyone knows.

Back