New WC setup...is 1400gph too much?

IOmonkey

n00b
Ok, while relatively new to actually DOING watercooling, I have lurked a fair bit and read up. This will eventually be my photoshop/gaming box, so OC is a must. OC is more important than noise, but the less noise the better.

Flow: Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU -> NB -> Res(tube1->tube2->tube3)

My general setup will be:
DangerDen RBX CPU block/Intel chipset block/Maze4 GPU block (not yet bought, up to changes)
I'm getting an old (but new) truck heatercore (9.5 x 6 3/8 x 2") for my rad, along with 2 or possibly 4 120mm (quiet) fans to cool it.

Board will be an Abit IC7-G, with a p4 3.0C (Northwood), an ATI 9800xt and 2gb Kingston Value RAM :( (well for now anyways). Power supply Vantec Stealth 420w with one 36gb Raptor drive, as all of the main storage is a fileserver w. gigabit net. (Audigy for sound)

So, the big question is pump choice. I'd figure that I would need at least 300 gph...but have seen people recommend the Eheim 1060 @ 600gph....but what about:

this
EDIT: this same seller also has 1100, 850, 650, etc gph pumps....

1400gph too much? The rad is pretty thick.

Also, for the res I'm thinking of attaching a series of acrylic tubes together in series
ie: ---=====--=====--=====----- with fans blowing air across them for additional cooling.

Ideas, comments, questions all welcomed in advance!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would be concerned with noise and reliabilty. Also that is a pump that can be and probally should be submerged to keep it running cool. When submerged, the heat from running the pump motor is bled into you cooling water, not good, and it will probally run hot and have a short life if not submerged. I would suggest you stick with one of the tried and tested pumps widely used by the watercooling community.

The heat transfer properties of the plastic resevors is very low. What I am trying to say is that the acrylic tubes will not transfer heat to their surface (where the fans are blowing) from the water inside fast enough to make any difference in cooling the water. Waste of time. sorry. Now if they were nice polished copper or brass or even any other metal it might be worth the trouble.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Holy restictions, Batman... three res in a single loop? Why?

You're not going to gain anything by adding a whole mess of res to the same loop. Okay, maybe you'll gain .1 degree or something.

The point of a res in the loop is:
1) Airtrap (if set up correctly)
2) Easier filling/bleeding (depending on who you talk to)
3) Ability to check level of coolant and provide a reserve if needed
4) They look cool

Res, even if they're made out of really pretty polished copper or whatever, are not going to make much difference (unless you're pelier cooling them or something) in the temperature of the loop. It's going to be even less if you're using acrylic/glass/plexi/whatever since the thermal properties of those materials is not condusive to passing heat.

I made a four res set-up once:
Loop one: Pump > Rad > CPU > GPU > Res >
Loop two: Pump > Res2 > Res 3 > Res4 >
Loop two was strictly for appearance just because I wanted a couple extra res with water sloshing around in them.

Back