new WD6400AAKS in stock @ NE

Sata1 is 1.5Gbps or 187MB/s

I doubt you're maxing out read/write speeds on sata1

For comparison I ran HD Tune on my WD740GD here at work, here are the read results:

Min. 14.3 MB/s
Max. 68.6
Avg. 59.2
access time 8.5ms
burst rate 106.5 MB/s
cpu usage 1.8%

I ordered the 320 AAKS (The single platter version of this)

Well HOPEFULLY I get the single-platter version... it's been 5+ weeks since they switched over to that revision, I hope newegg cleared out old stock...

I received a single-platter AAKS, and I ordered the day after the Anandtech article came out. I wouldn't worry about getting an old one, but you never know.

HD Tune: WDC WD3200AAKS-00B3A Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 52.1 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 109.3 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 88.2 MB/sec
Access Time : 16.7 ms
Burst Rate : 125.3 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 5.7%

So these are a good bit quicker than my WD7500AAKS eh?

I'm running the 750 on a IP35, Vista SP1, AHCI w/ latest matrix storage driver... HD TUNE results:

min: 46.6
max: 96.4
avg: 73.9

access: 13.9
burst: 121
cpu: 4.4

....and I thought these were king of SATA hill lol, worth upgrading or faster drives to come soon?

So these are a good bit quicker than my WD7500AAKS eh?

I'm running the 750 on a IP35, Vista SP1, AHCI w/ latest matrix storage driver... HD TUNE results:

min: 46.6
max: 96.4
avg: 73.9

access: 13.9
burst: 121
cpu: 4.4

....and I thought these were king of SATA hill lol, worth upgrading or faster drives to come soon?

Not that much faster, and your access times are lower than these. I'd be happy with your results.

Um, compare it to the 640, not the 320. Bop's results:

+22MB/s max
+15MB/s avg

1ms faster access
+18MB/s burst
1.2% CPU

And this is on top of the 2 platter vs. 4 platter (less noise, less heat) factors.

is there any place else to buy this? I don't want to buy from newegg because i heard stories about bad shipping of hard drives from them. also i live in canada and shipping would probably be more.

Well I don't know what you have heard but I have ordered 20+ hard drives from them in the last 5 years or so and NOT one has ever had a problem. In fact any drive I have ordered from them have out lived my use.

Well I don't know what you have heard but I have ordered 20+ hard drives from them in the last 5 years or so and NOT one has ever had a problem. Inf act any drive I have ordered from them has out lived my use.

I've had the same experience with Newegg having ordered 100+ drives from them, think I've had one bad drive and that didn't seem to be because of shipping. Although I've heard the occasional horror story it hasn't been my experience. I think they must have figured out who the idiot packager was and fired him.

Same here - I've ordered 10+ drives from Newegg, I've only had 1 fail (Raptor tisk tisk) and i was able to RMA is without issue.

newegg is great.

Just because you receive something DOA from Newegg, doesn't mean it's neweggs fault. I received 2 x 2x1gb memory kits from ClubIT and one of the dimms was physically damaged, but I didn't notice it for a couple months after I bought it (was on the shelf). Even though I was 2 months beyond the return policy, they STILL took it back w/o me even having to ask. These companies WANT your business by proving it with good CS. And I actually talked to Frank, not Akmed.

I bought 3 Samsung F1 750GB drives from NewEgg. Two of them were bad (bad sectors). Not sure I blame NewEgg for that though, the packing seemed very good.

I am in the process of returning those three. I just received 3 Western Digital SE16 640GB drives. All three are working great, and they are faster and lower access times. I'm much happier now with the WD drives.

HDTune_Benchmark_WDC_WD6400AAKS-00A7B.png

HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD753LJ.png

That 320 model is tuned for entry level machines so its seeks are slower to bring the noise level down a bit. I think this was confirmed in AnandTech's review of the 640 drive.

Dang I wish they'd put this platter in a Raptor. I'd buy 3 n RAID0 'em.

a bit off topic but are these new WD640AAKS faster than the new SG 7200.11 32mb cache? if it is my brother and I will consider putting it into his new pc.

That 320 model is tuned for entry level machines so its seeks are slower to bring the noise level down a bit. I think this was confirmed in AnandTech's review of the 640 drive.

So lets say I want the fastest 250-320GB drive I can get my hands on. If the 320GB version of the 6400AAKS is crippled, what is the best performing 7200 RPM drive? The RE2 320GB?

So lets say I want the fastest 250-320GB drive I can get my hands on. If the 320GB version of the 6400AAKS is crippled, what is the best performing 7200 RPM drive? The RE2 320GB?

The 320GB single-platter drive is still the fastest in that size range. Seek time matters almost zero in a normal single-user machine. Your drive heads simply don't spend enough time jumping to random places across the entire disc for it to make a difference. (You can see this in IOMeter benches, as the number of concurrent IO requests increase the drives with the fastest seek pull WAY ahead.) To say it is crippled is a huge exaggeration. Yes a few sacrifices have been made to keep noise and heat levels down, but its not anything that matters for a desktop system.

Is the Raptor 150GB still the fastest boot drive? Thinking of grabbing of these as my storage drive and keep the Raptor as a boot drive unless these are faster.

I'm thinking about buying one of these to replace my 80gb IDE 7200rpm 8mb cache hdd:

HD Tune:
Minimum- 29.0mb/sec
Maximum- 56.4mb/sec
Average- 48.9mb/sec

Access Time- 13.6 ms
Burst Rate- 77.0mb/sec
CPU Usage 2.2%

Am I going to notice in real world performance with the system in my sig only running the 640gb as a single drive? All I do is game and surf the web

thanks

I can only speak for my system. I was running a single seagte 400gb 16mb hdd. When I went with a Areca 1210 RAID controller(RAID5) w 3 Wd6400's I noticed a huge increase in my gaming.. web surfing and overall system performance. Maybe mines has to do alot with the RAID setup but I can tell you these hdd's are very nice. Without any facts I think you will see a huge improvement.

I ran HD tune and my numbers scream lol.

Is the Raptor 150GB still the fastest boot drive? Thinking of grabbing of these as my storage drive and keep the Raptor as a boot drive unless these are faster.

XP boots faster off of my WD6400AAKS, but I have no hard numbers for you. Keep in mind, the Raptor install is over 2 years old (been too lazy to reinstall, lol), and the XP installation is brand new on the 640GB.

a bit off topic but are these new WD640AAKS faster than the new SG 7200.11 32mb cache? if it is my brother and I will consider putting it into his new pc.

The higher platter density of the cav.se16 drive will affect speed more than the extra 16MB of cache of the 'cuda.11.

BTW - they are back in stock at the Egg - picked 1 up myself

... and cheaper, too, lol.

So does anyone know of a place that sells the WD6400AAKS that consistently ships it in a well-protected manner, unlike Newegg's recent shoddy packaging?

I have bought 4 of those drives from newegg and not one of the drives has any problems booting up the first time. You should be fine. Plus Neweggs customer service is fantastic if you do have any problems!

Back