New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

Gosh I wish I did not revisit this thread. At $199 I am so tempted to camp out and get a second one. Maybe not though. The bezel does not lend itself well to portrait mode (nor does the stand) and I normaly run one landscape one portrait. Still for $199, maybe the folks are getting an upgrade to their 19" for xmas.....

supavillain said:
wow really glad i found this site and this thread. guess i'm gonna be camping out for this. seein some of these pictures in here made me extremely giddy.

had one question though, will i be able to just plug in my regular a/v connections from my xbox/ps2? i plan on getting better cords but was just wondering.
Yes

LOL... I can't believe you guys are crazy enough to go for the BF deal on this... make sure you bring a face mask so you don't get welted in the face.

I would LOVE a deal like this, but to spend hours of my time to save $80 ain't worth it... remember, there will be tax on this, so you're probably paying $215ish... is it REALLY worth HOURS of waiting and having to drive to get it? Well, I can see for some ppl that make minimum wage, but not everyone!!

The monitor is 500 instore when I went the other day, so 300 dollars is quite the savings. I plan on being there around 5am, hopefully grab a monitor, a cheap 360 game and blow that pop stand (after waiting in line for an hour or so). I once I get inside and hopefully get my hands on the monitor im going to be inline within minutes and then to work for 10am.

you guys hoping to get there at 5 and get those kind of deals are out of your minds. I got to BB at 3-4 am last year, and the line already wrapped around the side of the building, and then around back. At least 100-150 people in front of me. BB employees were walking the line as early as 3 AM handing out vouchers for the amazing deals- they start at the front of the line, asking people what they're there for (if you're there for the $199 22" widescreen, you get a voucher for that, $379 laptop, you get a voucher for that, etc...). when all the vouchers are gone, everyone else is SOL. Once you get inside, plan an at least an hour or two just to get the item(s) you got a voucher for, and then the line, which wraps around every aisle in the store and will take you at least an hour to wait through.

So basically, by the time I was there before 4 AM, all of the cheapest laptops, cheapest desktops, cheapest flat panels, etc... had been gone for at least an hour, even though the doors didn't open for another 2 hours. Notice they say minimum 10 in stock for most of those items....they're advertised to get you into the store for other things, and they carry very low stock of those few items that everyone wants.

I plan on camping there this year....midnight or even before (and no, I don't make minimum wage). I'm going to buy one of every insane deal on PC hardware, along with a few other items- flip what I can, and keep the few things I want to keep (the $379 Core solo laptop, the 22" Westy monitor, etc...). Honestly, spending a night out in the cold to get these kind of prices is well worth it IMO. even if I only save $300 total on a few things I would have purchased anyway, I just made $50 an hour for sitting out in the cold for 6 hours. Bring a book, bundle up, and bring a folding chair.

So yeah...I'll hopefully have this monitor next Friday.

mynameisphunk said:
you guys hoping to get there at 5 and get those kind of deals are out of your minds. I got to BB at 3-4 am last year, and the line already wrapped around the side of the building, and then around back. At least 100-150 people in front of me. BB employees were walking the line as early as 3 AM handing out vouchers for the amazing deals- they start at the front of the line, asking people what they're there for (if you're there for the $199 22" widescreen, you get a voucher for that, $379 laptop, you get a voucher for that, etc...). when all the vouchers are gone, everyone else is SOL. Once you get inside, plan an at least an hour or two just to get the item(s) you got a voucher for, and then the line, which wraps around every aisle in the store and will take you at least an hour to wait through.

So basically, by the time I was there before 4 AM, all of the cheapest laptops, cheapest desktops, cheapest flat panels, etc... had been gone for at least an hour, even though the doors didn't open for another 2 hours. Notice they say minimum 10 in stock for most of those items....they're advertised to get you into the store for other things, and they carry very low stock of those few items that everyone wants.

I plan on camping there this year....midnight or even before (and no, I don't make minimum wage). I'm going to buy one of every insane deal on PC hardware, along with a few other items- flip what I can, and keep the few things I want to keep (the $379 Core solo laptop, the 22" Westy monitor, etc...). Honestly, spending a night out in the cold to get these kind of prices is well worth it IMO. even if I only save $300 total on a few things I would have purchased anyway, I just made $50 an hour for sitting out in the cold for 6 hours. Bring a book, bundle up, and bring a folding chair.

So yeah...I'll hopefully have this monitor next Friday.
Now you're almost convincing me to do it when I always despised it... I'm not even joking, lol.

one thing I can say for it is it was pretty well organized. No fights AFAIK, just a lot of people, all cold, standing in line together. they did one item after another, handing vouchers out from the front of the line on down to the end. Once the vouchers for what they had in stock on that item were gone, they moved onto the next item, starting at the front of the line again.

They even handed out diagrams of the store layout, where all the deals were going to be to try to minimize the mayhem inside. Everything was extremely well organized, it just took a LONG time and you had to be there extremely early to get anything good.

you should do it, last year I was up at my wife's family's house for Thanksgiving about 2 hours away from where I work. I had to work Friday, so I just went to BB at 3ish, stood in line, got my stuff, and was out of there around 8am, then drove to work. It's an interesting experience, if nothing else.

I just said 5 a.m. since I didn't know exactly when the store would open and it seemed like a nice time to start.

So, they are guaranteed to open at 5 a.m. and people will be there earlier than that? What time do you recommend? I'm thinking 3 a.m. now...too bad I don't have anything to keep myself busy during that time (I'd buy a GBA or something...but if I'm buying at GBA at this time, I'd want to make sure to get it on Black Friday...) :(

Gotenks326 said:
So, they are guaranteed to open at 5 a.m. and people will be there earlier than that? What time do you recommend? I'm thinking 3 a.m. now...too bad I don't have anything to keep myself busy during that time (I'd buy a GBA or something...but if I'm buying at GBA at this time, I'd want to make sure to get it on Black Friday...) :(

They're open at 5 a.m. sharp. 3 a.m. is a reasonable time to stand in line unless you're looking to purchase one of the big doorbusters (i.e. computers, LCD TV's etc). In that case I would suggest going there at 2 a.m. since they're passing out the vouchers @ 4 a.m., as noted on their BF ad.

What's the horizontal/vertical viewable size of the monitor (Horizontal: 18.7"?, Vertical: 11.7"?)?

You probably won't get any of the computer doorbusters if you get there at 3am. As I said before, there were at least 150 people there when I got there at 3am last year.

Does this count as a computer doorbuster? So, is it still as hectic if they hand out brochures (Which I'm guessing act as "tickets" that guarantee that you get the item?)?

I have read many folks talking about camping out or arriving early at Best Buy for the 22” Westinghouse widescreen. Why not just purchase it today or tomorrow and then go back, Friday or Saturday, to have the price adjusted. You can skip the hectic shopping crowd. Use a credit card and simply have the price adjustment made as a credit back to your account. Several reps at Best Buy have told me it can be done. I have the monitor, as of today, and intend to do this very thing in a few days. :confused:

pchs said:
I have read many folks talking about camping out or arriving early at Best Buy for the 22” Westinghouse widescreen. Why not just purchase it today or tomorrow and then go back, Friday or Saturday, to have the price adjusted. You can skip the hectic shopping crowd. Use a credit card and simply have the price adjustment made as a credit back to your account. Several reps at Best Buy have told me it can be done. I have the monitor, as of today, and intend to do this very thing in a few days. :confused:
Dude, in charge at the customer service desk told me the same exact thing. I'll be pissed if it was a sham though. I may go camp out for the fun of it and see if i can get dual 22" monitors for less than the price of one regular priced one, LOL. I made a list of about 10 things I want from there on black friday anyways.

pchs said:

Are you 100% sure that'll work?

Because I might just do that.

Chris. said:
Are you 100% sure that'll work?

Because I might just do that.

You can't do this because all of the great deals are given different SKU numbers on BF so if you go to price match they will just tell you thats its a different item

I have a Dell 2005FPW right now. Is this going to be an ungrade? Will I be disapointed after being spoiled by the crystal clear Dell Ultra Sharp image? I'm having trouble deciding.

What do you lose if you try. I will post something on Friday or Saturday after my attempt. Those who could but don't try, to bad for you.

I have one question to ask because i am pretty sure i want this monitor and I plan to camp out for it on black friday.

Can anyone tell me if you have to play with this monitor in the native resolution for the screen to look good or can i play in other resolutions. I play various amounts of games such as counterstrike and for some i use 640 res or even 800 x 600 res. I want to know if it will look just as good as my crt in these resolutions or would i be confined only to its native resolution for a acceptable display.

i'm undecided if i should go for it or not. I'm pretty sure I would most certainly have to camp out for it. I called my local bestbuy and he said that the lines last year went around the back of the store, so ppl do care in my little town. Sucks. I don't wanna go there and ruin pretty much the rest of the day and be disappointed. Talk me out of it guys...

I'm still undecided on this one...I've got the money for this, the specs aren't bad, and I'm just crazy enough to try to get out there at oh-dark-thirty for it--but in my heart of hearts I still want a 24-incher more. I'm half tempted to suck it up and hold out until the new year...

Okay, so in general...is this a really good 6-bit display, then, or just fair? (Finding out that little detail definitely took the fun out of my wanting to hit up BB for it in the morning...if it's only fair, I probably will hold out for a 24-incher...)

Meow. said:
IMG_1482.jpg
I'm confused, how can this monitor do 1080i if it's maximum resolution is 1680x1050? Because it's interlaced do you only need a minimum horizontal resolution of 540 to do 1080i?

Redshirt #24 said:
Okay, so in general...is this a really good 6-bit display, then, or just fair? (Finding out that little detail definitely took the fun out of my wanting to hit up BB for it in the morning...if it's only fair, I probably will hold out for a 24-incher...)
I just drove by BB on my way home from my parents house and there were already over 100 people in line at 8:30pm... LOL. CompUSA had just as many.

Probably for the damn laptop and other things, though no doubt the monitors will be on somebody's watchlist. I don't think I'm that motivated for this sale...screw it, I'll go by Costco at a sane hour and pricecheck something a little higher-grade like the Viewsonic VX2235wm...

Naldo said:
It just downscales the image to fit on the display.
I don't understand, then what determines what HD resolutions a monitor can support? Why can't this just do 1080p and downscale it?

What happens when it downscales the 1080i image to its 1680x1050? Wouldn't all the proportions be messed up if it tries to downscale 1920x1080 to 1680x1050?

I read that this monitor leaves everything in widescreen mode (even 4:3 source material), is this correct? Why does it downscale for 1080i but won't downscale to 4:3?

Redshirt #24 said:
Probably for the damn laptop and other things, though no doubt the monitors will be on somebody's watchlist. I don't think I'm that motivated for this sale...screw it, I'll go by Costco at a sane hour and pricecheck something a little higher-grade like the Viewsonic VX2235wm...
I checked out that Viewsonic. The cheap looking shiny plastic frame makes it look like a kids toy. I think you'll agree when you see it in person. The Westinghouse frame is way oversized, but still beats the Viewsonic hands down.

I'm willing to put up with a little design-related weirdness for a better overall screen...well, okay, just a little. I really would like to see the Westy in action, though, before I write it completely off...but that ain't happening tonight, is it? :D

Well, I'm leaving for Best Buy at ~1:30 and doors open at 5, so I (And I'm guess others) should hopefully be able to post pictures/impressions at around ~7.

Is this an official "doorbuster" item or not? I know that there's a minimum of 10 per customer, and the website says limit 1 per customer, but how strict are they on this? Will I be able to check out with 2 of them, or will the scanner/clerk detect that it's 1 per customer?

I 'm not sure about best buy, but at the places I've worked the register usually wont ring up 2 of the same item on one transaction if its 1 per customer, you may be able to get them to do 2 seperate transactions, but chances are slim.

also, are you at best buy yet? Wont be any for you to get if you dont leave soon. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

So, I can't even do 2 separate transactions for the monitor?

Will this monitor really be in demand that much? It's not even a doorbuster item and isn't on the front/back page or anything (Even though it's a great deal). There's a minimum of 10 per store and I'm honestly betting that there aren't THAT many interested in it in Modesto, CA (At least not so many that I have to camp out ~6 hours in advance).

It's 10:47 p.m. here and I was planning on getting there at 1:30 a.m.

ah, I forgot not everyone is on the east coast.

Its really ymmv as to how many you will be able to get, they may be cool and let you go ahead and get 2, or they could make you go to the end of the line and wait to purchase the second one, or they could just say "nope, only one per customer". It really depends on how generous the manager\cashier is feeling.

Wait, they can actually make you go back to the END of the line if you have 2 with you (You can't just check out with one?)?

So, what do you think would be a good time to get there? We should be able to get there at about 1:00 a.m., but I don't know how many people will be there and what the demand will be. Are you hitting this or any other BB deal (And are you already there? If so, how's the line?)?

Back