New Westinghouse 22" (LCM-@@W2)??

Gotenks326 said:
But when using the other inputs you can change the aspect ratio to the native 4:3 (I can play my Genesis/watch TV in 4:3 with black bars on the sides).

:confused:
heh, yea, sry i forgot to mention that, in component/s-video/video modes you can change between full (fills screen), normal (4:3) with black bars, or zoom (zooms it)

this option is in the monitor's osd settings

Chris9450 said:
got the PSP Plan for 24.99 (you *should* have 30 days to get it I believe if you didn't get it Friday)

What does this plan actually do? Does BestBuy replace your monitor if something goes wrong with it in 3 years or do they just try to fix it? What if they don't have it anymore?

And this is $25? I've heard that it was $50, but I might go and get it if it's $25...

xxkrnxstylezxx said:
What does this plan actually do? Does BestBuy replace your monitor if something goes wrong with it in 3 years or do they just try to fix it? What if they don't have it anymore?

And this is $25? I've heard that it was $50, but I might go and get it if it's $25...

Best Buy will first try to repair it (send it off to their service center) at no cost to you. If it is too costly or can't be fixed then they will replace the monitor. Their policy is to replace it with another monitor of similar technology. If they can't find something similar, then they will give you a $199 (price you paid on black friday, not original price) credit to put towards another monitor. They just won't exceed the price you paid for the monitor.

It is worth it on few items (laptops, cameras, camcorders, plasmas, LCD TV's and monitors, etc.). If it's $25 for 3 year coverage, that's not bad and worth it.

I use to work at Best Buy so I am aware of the Performance Service Plans. Hopefully this helps.

Which possibly means that they'll more likely than not just give us money instead of actually replacing the monitor, since it'd be cheaper for them to do that...

EDIT: and, yes, the plan was $24.99 when I got mine on Friday.

got mine on black friday and i'm likin it a lot. the dvi connection makes things look sooo much better, but they rip u off by charging $50 for it! thats y i returned mine and got a used one online, a working cable is a working cable right? Here are my favorite personal settings so far.

Brightness: 85
Contrast: 30
Red: 50
Green: 48
Blue: 46

sukurux said:
got mine on black friday and i'm likin it a lot. the dvi connection makes things look sooo much better, but they rip u off by charging $50 for it! thats y i returned mine and got a used one online, a working cable is a working cable right? Here are my favorite personal settings so far.

Brightness: 85
Contrast: 30
Green: 48
Blue: 46

Get a DVI cable online from Monoprice.com (very reputable company). $10 shipped and very good quality.

What resolution should I use if the game im playing doesnt support 1680/1050. For example I downloaded the Splinter Cell DA demo and the highest resolution it supports in 16:10 is 12**/9** something. What resolution will give me the best picture quality?

uB3rn00b3r said:
What resolution should I use if the game im playing doesnt support 1680/1050. For example I downloaded the Splinter Cell DA demo and the highest resolution it supports in 16:10 is 12**/9** something. What resolution will give me the best picture quality?
I'd just play it in the highest 16:10 resolution possible. It'd be great if it could do the monitor's native resolution (1680 x 1050), but if not then just use the next highest 16:10.

if you look in the manual it says it supports through component 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, & 1080i natively. nothing about 1080p. i don't have a 360 at the moment to test 1080p resolution to see what happens tho.

I camped out, got there at 10pm thursday night. We were 41, 42, and 43 in line (me, my wife, and her sister).

The bounty:

3 $250 toshiba laptops
1 $380 HP laptop
2 $199 22" LCD's
2 $129 19" LCD's
2 $189 Emachines desktops w/ 15" LCD and Canon Printer
1 $129 Advent 15" LCD TV/monitor
1 $49 Insignia MP3 CD Head unit w/ free pair of 6.5" speakers
1 $25 Battlefield 2142
miscellaneous flash drives, DVD burner, etc... as gifts

Have already sold the 2 19's for $180 each, 1 Toshiba laptop for $450, both desktops for $325, and both of the other laptops have tons of interest at $450. When all is said and done, the two major things we kept - a 22" for me and the $380 laptop for my wife (SWEET laptop btw), will be FREE, and i'm definitely not even trying hard to sell this stuff.

The monitor- oh, how I love it. I have my old Xbox hooked up (non-360), and yes, it doesn't look that great, but I didn't expect it to. It's playable- hooked up through composite, not component. I'm playing console games again that I haven't played in months because I didn't want to not have my wife be able to watch TV when I was playing my games! As a monitor- I only turned brightness down to 50, didn't play with color settings, and IMO it's seriously fantastic. I'm still using VGA too- didn't have a DVI cable on hand. Of course I was coming from an old Viewsonic 15" LCD that had faded recently VERY noticeably, so I can't express how vibrant and bright the Westy looks in comparison. I sit on the couch, and have the monitor a fair distance away, and the 22" w/ 1680x1050 makes all the text quite large and readable. At $199- an absolute steal. at $399...I would have probably waited and bought a 24" (as long as it had the same inputs- seriously, the amount of inputs this thing has is ridiculous).

I too purchased the $25 3-year service plan for the 1 22" that i'm keeping - cheap insurance, especially for a brand with a relatively unknown reliability record.

Next year i'll be outside of BB at 5pm. It was absolutely worth it if you plan to buy a ton of stuff to resell to cover what you actually want to keep.

Hey guys, new to this place but this thread caught my eye. I too bought this on Friday and seem to be having similar problems mentioned earlier. In particular the so-called "backlight bleeding." It's quite a nuisance and don't know if it's normal for new LCD's or a defect of some sort. Thing is, sometimes it's not so visible, other times it is. Here's an example of when it is:

lcm22backlight.jpg

Sure it's not totally killer, but it's still distracting. Should that really be as visible as it is there? Another issue I'm having is with the 720p/1080i settings when I have my Xbox 360 hooked up. It's hooked up via component, but when I set it to either of those settings I get this:

Xbox 360 in 1080i

360in1080i.jpg

Xbox 360 in 720p

360in720p.jpg

You can obviously tell the image gets cropped, more so when it's in 720p mode. I borrowed some cables from work and the same thing occured so now I'm not sure if it's my Xbox 360 or the monitor itself. What's weird is that when I connect my regular Xbox through component and play a game in 720p, everythings seems to run fine with no cropping. Example:

Xbox in 480p

Xboxin480p.jpg

Xbox in 720p

Xboxin720p-1.jpg

Here you can clearly see that in 720p, instead of being cropped the image is expanded, as it should be. So this just complicates matters more for me. Is it my cable? My 360? Incompatible monitor? Sorry for the long, long rant, but I'm just trying to get as much help from all sides as possible. Microsoft sure is taking their sweet time in e-mailing back with a solution.

Well I am thinking of selling this monitor and getting something else. I really cant stand the back light bleed as I play a lot of dark games. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like a 1680/1050 monitor and the samsung monitor in the holidays buyer guide looks nice.

204b

Any other reccomendations or ways to get rid of this horrible back light bleed? I am looking for a high quality panel and not so much size. I would like to able to play some xbox360 on it too. How much do you think the westy would go for on ebay. I assume it will go for a little more than what i paid for it.

NotoriousNeo,

I have more backlight bleeding on the top than you do, but less on the bottom. It is rather a lot. For 200 bucks I can live with it. If I'd have paid full price for this monitor I'd take it back with the amount of backlight bleed yours and my monitor has. Thing is, pretty much all of these Westinghouse monitors have some degree of bleed so it's not likely an exchange will do much for you.

Someone else asked but it didn't get answered, the Line-In port, what the hell would I connect this to?

I suppose it would allow me to use my computer speakers instead of the monitor speakers, which suck btw, but I'm not sure on that fact.

So far I'm pretty happy with mine. But it does flicker sometimes. Might be due to interference or the computer desk shaking. I have a DVI cable coming in from Newegg though, so hopefully that will fix it.

It seems as if this high pitch buzzing sound occurs with this monitor when the brightness is turned down after 96 or so (my friends also have the same problem and people on this forum are also complaining about this). My favorite settings are:
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 0
Red: 100
Green: 94
Blue: 96

However it makes this annoying buzzing sound and I just simply cannot concentrate on anything. So now I have:
Brightness: 99
Contrast: 20
Green: 50
Blue: 50

The buzzing sound is gone but now my eyes get tired and I feel as if it is too bright.

I am wondering if there is anything I could do to fix this buzzing sound or if anyone has any better settings that are no so bright (so that there is not a buzzing sound). This buzzing has been pissing me off since I thought I could ignore it, but I have now realized I can't. I am almost about to return this monitor but because it is such a good deal ($200 BF) I am trying to fix this buzzing sound somehow. I have even tweaked with my graphics card management but whenever I lower the brightness a little, it seems to darken the color too much. Anyone else have the same problem and found a soultion?

Kuros said:
Someone else asked but it didn't get answered, the Line-In port, what the hell would I connect this to?

I think you use the supplied line-in speaker cable (the cable with the two green plugs on the ends) and plug one end it into your monitor and the other end into your pc sound card. The speakers are not very good but they are fine for windows sounds.

xxkrnxstylezxx said:
Thanks, I think I also need a splitter to split the wire from the sub to the soundcard.

PIP is cool, but I wish I could make a bit bigger.

And I'll leave the other questions to the experts, but I took off the protective cover. :p

Can someone provide a photo of what this looks like?

So I'm plugging in the R and L cable into this splitter, then plugging this via another cable to the LINE IN on my Audio card? The Sound will come out through my PC speakers whether playing on the PS2 that's hooked up to the Monitor or using the PC?

Astral Abyss said:
NotoriousNeo,

I have more backlight bleeding on the top than you do, but less on the bottom. It is rather a lot. For 200 bucks I can live with it. If I'd have paid full price for this monitor I'd take it back with the amount of backlight bleed yours and my monitor has. Thing is, pretty much all of these Westinghouse monitors have some degree of bleed so it's not likely an exchange will do much for you.

Still, I went with it because it was cheap, but like $75 more could've gotten a Samsung that doesn't seem to have the backlight bleeding issue. It's werid 'cause sometimes it's not so bad (or not there at all) and other times it's like a white border permanently set there. I've made up my mind and I'm going to return it (Best Buy doesn't charge restocking fees on monitors, right?) and just save a lil' longer for a Samsung or Sony.

Not that this monitor was crap or anything, in fact I was quite satisfied, but the backlight and resolution problems have made me think twice. Damn Black Friday and the intoxicating buzz it creates!!

actually if you bring it back and say there was a problem with it bestbuy should return it and give you a new one . You still have a 14 day return / exchange and they should stand by not selling lemons . MIne has very slight bleeding at the bottom and none at the top so i'm happy

Don't be fooled that the Samsung 22in panels don't have the backlight bleed problem. I have tried 6 different Samsung panels from a couple different stores and all had bleed to the degree that I could not deal with it. These were both the older brown box units and the newer white box revision. I was very suprised to get this Westy 22 on Friday and find it has less bleed than the dozen or so 22inch panels that I have tried. For 200 dollars I think I have a keeper.

On a different subject, has anyone mounted this panel to a lcd arm or stand? Manual says you have to remove the back cover over the screws. Thinking about getting a Ergotron Neo-Flex stand, and just wandered if it was a pain to install on this monitor?

I know BB had the 22 inch westy for 199, what is the price usually when they go on sale ?
Is it the 399 I read on the forum back in july posts?? would anyone know?
I have limited funds and need to know which LCD has the better picture without the bleading......Thanks!

Mine looks great. Small bit of bleeding along the bottom, and 1 stuck pixel that went away as soon as I touched it lightly. I am very happy :) For $199 It's quite a steal.

dahman said:
On a different subject, has anyone mounted this panel to a lcd arm or stand? Manual says you have to remove the back cover over the screws. Thinking about getting a Ergotron Neo-Flex stand, and just wandered if it was a pain to install on this monitor?
The back panel that covers the vesa mounts just pops off. Start pulling it off from the bottom first, doing the left and right side evenly, then work your way to the top. I could've put mine on in 3 minutes but took 15 instead because I didn't read the instructions.

Thanks for the info Calpis. Doesn't sound too bad. As far as pricing on this monitor goes, I saw is for 349.99 with a 50$ MIR a month or so back, but it has been 499 now for quite awile at BB around here. Problem is they never seem to be in stock.

I have VERY minimal back light bleeding, camera makes it look worse than it is.
but for $199, I think it was a steal.
Sorry, my camera really blows.

bbleed2.JPG

bleed2.JPG

bleed4.JPG

Random

westy1.jpg

Would you guys return a monitor if it had 1 dead pixel? it just bothers me that i found one.

ITSTHINKING said:
Would you guys return a monitor if it had 1 dead pixel? it just bothers me that i found one.
You should be lucky that you only found one. One dead pixel is no big deal considering how big the monitor is. If you are really bothered by it then I suggest you go back to CRT.

crt, nah I'll pass, I just thought I'd see what you would do, if you say keep it then hell I'll keep it. Besides knowing that it's there I'll get used to it and stop trying to find it lol

ITSTHINKING said:
crt, nah I'll pass, I just thought I'd see what you would do, if you say keep it then hell I'll keep it. Besides knowing that it's there I'll get used to it and stop trying to find it lol
I've got a stuck red subpixel on mine. It's over in the upper right corner and doesn't really bother me. Sometimes I notice it when the screen is all white, but usually I forget it's there. I don't think it's worth worrying about unless you've got one right in the middle of the screen and it's distracting.

settings are currently at
70 for brightness
0 for contrast
and a 100 for rgb

looks pretty damn good with the dvi, any other settings u guys wanna recommend?

Seizure said:
Can someone provide a photo of what this looks like?

So I'm plugging in the R and L cable into this splitter, then plugging this via another cable to the LINE IN on my Audio card? The Sound will come out through my PC speakers whether playing on the PS2 that's hooked up to the Monitor or using the PC?

That's the question I have. I wanna use my PC speakers for my 360.

hey guys

does anyone know where or how to get my sound to work on my westy 22 using the vga cable and its red/white plugs for my xbox 360

thanks

Back