New Win 7 install - 22 out of 37 gigs left?

BronxBartoni

Limp Gawd
Brand new install, only things installed are coretemp, gpuz, chrome and prime. Ive read that windows 7 is as small as 7 gigs installed, what gives?

I was able to chop W7 down to about 4.5gb for my netbook but anything beyond that and you start losing stuff and end up having to get it put back via windowsupdate.

Ok, so no vLite then, what is the next best way to trim down the size? First time 7 user here, Can I uninstall the features and shit in the cp still?

Turn off hibernation if you are never going to use it. powercfg -h off That should also delete the hiberfil.sys file and free up some space. Then go into control panel > programs and features > Turn windows features on or off. Ditch games you are never going to play and Media center etc if you never plan to use it.

I don't recommend it but if so desire you can also turn off system restore. That will delete all your restore points and free up some more space. If you turn it back on it will create one restore point and then build from there as time goes on. Other options are to run disk cleanup and look though the options in there. I think you can delete log files and other clutter in there.

Last week, I cleaned my system restore points up from the last 2 months and gained back 10GB. Handy little tool.

Back