New XFX 8800 GT won't boot

daragon

Limp Gawd
I just purchased a XFX 8800 GT. When I put it in my computer I get a bios error message 1 long 2 short. I replaced my power supply with a 750W so I don't think it's a power problem.

I am running an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe with an AMD 4000+ and 2 gigs of RAM. Does anyone have any idea why this crazy thing won't boot? I've already replaced it once, so I don't think it's a faulty card.

I just purchased a XFX 8800 GT. When I put it in my computer I get a bios error message 1 long 2 short. I replaced my power supply with a 750W so I don't think it's a power problem.

I am running an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe with an AMD 4000+ and 2 gigs of RAM. Does anyone have any idea why this crazy thing won't boot? I've already replaced it once, so I don't think it's a faulty card.

Blame this on the incompatibility between the A8V-E's chipset (the VIA K8T890) and the GeForce 8xxx-series GPUs. I tried an 8400GS on an ECS motherboard with the same chipset (both belonging to a friend of mine), and it wouldn't even POST.

Is that documented somewhere because that's very useful information.

Edit: I was previously running a 6600 GT. I am running it again, since I can't get the 8800 GT running.

this is great, I put the old card in and the system seems to run fine. When I start up a game it starts to hang, then after a few minutes crashes. This is with the old video card. What is going on?

What are the chances that an ATI 3870 would work? If not what card can I use to get decent FPS in Bioshock?

There are some issues with the VIA chipsets and PCI-E 2.0 that I have noticed. If you have another system I can send you a BIOS what will put that video card to PCI-E 1.0 so it will work with the VIA chipset as a workaround.

Hey, if you can send me something to make the 8800GT I have work, then great!!

Are we talking BIOS for the motherboard or the card? I've already tried updating my BIOS to version 1012, I think that's the latest.

Its a BIOS for the video card so that it will work with the VIA chipset. The only problem is you will have to find a non VIA chipset system that you can use to flash the BIOS of the video card in so it will then work in the VIA chipset.

I can see if the micro center I got the card from will let me use a computer to flash the BIOS. Go ahead and give me the link to the update, or you can e-mail it to me.

PM me the Product number of the video card and your email address and I will get it sent out for you.

Now you know why I don't use Via chipsets. :D Fortunately for me, I went through this problem when the first Nvidia video cards came out with the Viper128. 10 years later, Via still has the same problems come up.

I returned the 8800GT and got an 8600GT. 1/3 the price, and runs Bioshock perfectly.

As a complete third-party observer of this thread, I just want to give massive kudos to an actual XFX rep replying in a thread and hopefully solving the problem by doing something extremely proactive. That's just cool.

As a complete third-party observer of this thread, I just want to give massive kudos to an actual XFX rep replying in a thread and hopefully solving the problem by doing something extremely proactive. That's just cool.

No doubt. On a holiday weekend, too! Kudos to XFX (aka PINE!)

MY MSI K8N NEO 4 mobo has nvidia nforce 4 chipset and does not work with the EVGA 8800 GT.I Can't even boot my system.MY 7800 gt works fine.

My brother has got a XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog edition and a new motherboard, an MSI K9VGM-V with VIA K8M890 chipset.

When he installs the card the motherboard beeps 7 times, pauses then another 7 times.

Same problem as you guys.

I though it may have been because he only had a 430 watt power supply so I told him to go get a new one. Now he has a 600W PSU, but is still having the same problems.

Please help as he's itching to get it working - they were both Christmas presents.

Could XFXSupport PM or email me the BIOS please?

MY MSI K8N NEO 4 mobo has nvidia nforce 4 chipset and does not work with the EVGA 8800 GT.I Can't even boot my system.MY 7800 gt works fine.

This means that any of the early PCI-E motherboards or chipsets -- nForce4, i915P, i925X, K8T890, K8M890 -- might have compatibility issues with the new PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards.

I forgot it was a holiday, that does make the fact that XFX responded to this thread even more amazing, they really impressed me.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know a good water block for the 8600GT? I have a generic koolance block that will fit on the card and work, but it doesn't cool the RAM chips. Since NVidia decided that the RAM chips get hot enough to need to be cooled by the stock heat sink, I figured I better see if I can find a water bock that cools them to.

This means that any of the early PCI-E motherboards or chipsets -- nForce4, i915P, i925X, K8T890, K8M890 -- might have compatibility issues with the new PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards.

I'm running the G92 8800GTS in a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (nForce4 SLI) and it works fine. I can also confirm it works in a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 which is a regular nForce4 board. Both BIOS are dated back to mid 2005.

If you have an 8800GT and need the BIOS because your motherboard has a VIA chipset, go ahead and PM me your email address and I will get it to ya.

Hey can I ask you a question?
I have the same damn VIA chipset(MSI version). Will it work with the 9600 GT?

Thank you.

XfXsupport, if you don't mind me asking, why don't you post the link to the bios in the thread? In theory, there should only be a few bios links needed for those having issues.

Actually I dont have a link to the BIOS , I simply have it on my system (actually many versions of the BIOS depending on the version of the video card) and email it when needed. This BIOS is not a fix but a work around, we recommend that customers check with their motehrboard manufactures to see if a motherboard BIOS has been created to fix the issue. And as to the question regarding the 9600GT, NVIDIA as ensured that the 9 series cards do not have any compatibility issues with the VIA chipsets.

Actually I dont have a link to the BIOS , I simply have it on my system (actually many versions of the BIOS depending on the version of the video card) and email it when needed. This BIOS is not a fix but a work around, we recommend that customers check with their motehrboard manufactures to see if a motherboard BIOS has been created to fix the issue. And as to the question regarding the 9600GT, NVIDIA as ensured that the 9 series cards do not have any compatibility issues with the VIA chipsets.

can you send it to [email protected]?
my card is a xfx 8800gt.
Are there instructions to flash the new bios?

my XFX 8800GT model is YDF4

email: [email protected]

thanks in advance :)

Back