New Zune: More Ads, Less Hype

HardOCP News

[H] News
In case you’ve missed it, Microsoft has launched the new Zune, and with considerably less fanfare this time around. It seems the new Zune is a big improvement over the old Zune. As the owner of a Halo 3 Zune and iPod Touch, I can honestly say I like the new direction the Zune has taken. What do you think?

The company is throwing three times the advertising dollars at the Zune this year according to the New York Post, to the tune of $27 million. Time will tell if this move pays off for Microsoft. Jason Reindorp, director of marketing for Zune, stated it most clearly: "Our No. 1 business priority this year is we want to be the clear alternative to the iPod."

It would be nice if they came out with a workable driver for Vista so that the Zune would work correctly.

I do like the new look for them, seems more refined

I really wish there was one popular MP3 player with a compact flash adapter or at least a dongle cable to my camera. Most photographers prefer to have a portable HD as opposed to a laptop on the field.

Yes, I know about some of the Archos and Creative products, I would much rather have a Zune instead.

It looks like MS has made some very nice improvements to the Zune, both hardware and software. I am also pleased that MS is not abandoning the original Zune by providing a updated firmware.

upgraded my 30GB this morning and I like the new interface. Not too fond of the new Zune software but I'll get used to it.

Running 64-bit Vista Ultimate with no issues.

upgraded my 30GB this morning and I like the new interface. Not too fond of the new Zune software but I'll get used to it.

Running 64-bit Vista Ultimate with no issues.

I just got mine updated. Woot for built-in podcast support!

Why don't you F*&%in support your zunes on your own god damn operating system! The Zune has been out for a year+ now, and still there is no Windows XP 64-bit support.

They used a half ass Microsoft Media player as their GUI for the zune for a year, and yesterday released the new and improved version (which still lacks xp 64-bit support).

Thumbs Down, avoid at all costs.

Why don't you F*&%in support your zunes on your own god damn operating system! The Zune has been out for a year+ now, and still there is no Windows XP 64-bit support.

They used a half ass Microsoft Media player as their GUI for the zune for a year, and yesterday released the new and improved version (which still lacks xp 64-bit support).

Thumbs Down, avoid at all costs.

do you look at the support web ...
or try this?
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=7313339

Oooh, forgot its updatin' time for my 1G Zune; will have to do when I get home now.

No problems here on Vista 64-bit btw. I just don't like the software that much (why does EVERY player insist on creating its own fucking library? Just agree on one standard or something ffs, I'm not digging up my album art over and over and fucking over), and I wish there was some way for it to "Hey, there's one .jpg in the same dir as that album...could it be...the album art?!

Ahem, anyways, free stuff that adds functionality, whee!

I love the wireless sync on my 1g zune! I just hit a button on my zune and it updates just like that!

I like the zune hardware does great things... but how about putting a little of that 26 million for making some good software.... I mean come on at leat dump the money into media player 12 and add support for the zune there

billions for vista, pennies for bad hack of media player zune, not wanting to smash my zune when uploading the songs... priceless

I really wish there was one popular MP3 player with a compact flash adapter or at least a dongle cable to my camera. Most photographers prefer to have a portable HD as opposed to a laptop on the field.

Yes, I know about some of the Archos and Creative products, I would much rather have a Zune instead.

Apple has an adapter just for that.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories&nplm=M9861G/B

Never tried it though so don't know if it works well or not. Looks like you can't plug in an SD card, just the usb cable for your camera.

That adapter sounds like view only. Not offload the mem card to the iPod (which all the photographers I know want).

zunewifi.png

finally got my zune 30gb hooked up with wireless sync. w00t! :)

Back