Newb question: JMicron controller on Asus P5B. Necessary?

Biggles604

Weaksauce
So I'm unclear on the use of the JMicron controller outside of a RAID setup. If you aren't running a RAID array, is there any reason to keep the driver enabled in the BIOS? or can it just be disabled (Running 2 non raid SATA drives).

Nothing to do with raid or not, if you are using any SATA ports connected to that chipset, then leave it enabled. If you are only using ports connected to your southbridge chipset, then you can disable it. Lets say your southbridge supports 4 and the JMicron adds 2 more, connect the drives to the primary 4 and u can disable it.
Jason

I have it disabled on my P5K-E, b/c I just have 2 SATA drives attached. (to port 1 & 2)

It will save 1-2 seconds off your boot time.

so if you disable it in bios, and boot up 86,400 times, you will have saved enough time to take your girlfriend for a weekend in vegas. where she saves up her 172,800 seconds is her problem.

Nothing to do with raid or not, if you are using any SATA ports connected to that chipset, then leave it enabled. If you are only using ports connected to your southbridge chipset, then you can disable it. Lets say your southbridge supports 4 and the JMicron adds 2 more, connect the drives to the primary 4 and u can disable it.
Jason

Cool, thanks. That's pretty much what I figured, but didn't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

Doesn't the JMicron controller support the IDE input on this MB?

On the Abit Pro, it supports the eSATA ports and the IDE input.

It's the same on the P5B, but since I'm not using any IDE or eSATA, I wanted to know if it was still being used.

The JMicron controller on my P5B Deluxe wifi is used by: 1) eSATA; 2) The one internal SATA connector near the backplane; and 3) the IDE slots.

As long as you don't use any of those connectors, you're ok to disable it.

Back