Newb question

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
I have 4 computers, and my laptop.

I need to install/uninstall applications across all 5 computers using my laptop as the main source for the application.

How can I do this? I use Remote Connection via XP to usually log into the other machines from my laptop, but I need some way to automate the install/uninstall so that all computers have the latest version each time we update our application.

Any help?

you'll have to get automation help from the app vendor.
You havn't provided enough information.

So, I understand these are for your personal use and not for business use?

No it is for work. I have four machines that run Visual Basic applications that my team develops and deploys for testing of our product. But our whole automation lab is fairly new and I am building it from the ground up. The problem I am having is that sometimes the applications get changes made, so we go from rev 1, to rev 1.1. Most of the time people forget to install the updated app on each machine, so one machine winds up running rev 1.1, while the rest still run rev 1. So I was looking for a way to solve this, I have a drive that all four machines have mapped, its where our log files get written to, and I was hoping to be able to use it to deploy the applications to each of the four machines.

Does that make more sense? Each application has an msi install file. I know I could do this if I had an active directory running, but I do not on in this situation, so I was hoping there was another way.

Since you are doing MSI installs, you could easily do that with Active Directory, but as you said that you don't have AD, I am out of ideas for the moment.

You could try writing a batchfile that will check if the version installed is greater than the version on the network drive. Then stick it in the startup folder for all users.

Back