Newegg.com "Secret Deals" AKA the real Black Friday stuff

HUGE difference. Zero tweaking, though on my laptop with an OCZ Agility I had to manually disable disk defrag. IIRC my desktop with an Intel X25M had it disabled by default.

Hmm

think some kind of deal will pop up in a few months? I honestly don't think I can dish out another $200 lol.

Grrr IDK

You won't notice a tremendous difference in gaming, Zake, so don't worry about getting an SSD just for that.

The real difference would be a dramatically faster boot time, and when you click to open a folder / start a program it'd start in <1 second instead of taking maybe like 2-10 seconds. It's a really nice upgrade, but if you're super strapped for cash you probably don't need a 120GB SSD.

You won't notice a tremendous difference in gaming, Zake, so don't worry about getting an SSD just for that.

The real difference would be a dramatically faster boot time, and when you click to open a folder / start a program it'd start in <1 second instead of taking maybe like 2-10 seconds. It's a really nice upgrade, but if you're super strapped for cash you probably don't need a 120GB SSD.

Ah yea...

How much would it benefit a game like WOW or just a FPS for instance?

I usually just browse/game etc. Nothing extreme.

I think I'll have to sit this deal out. Hopefully SSD go down soon, I want one but I don't want to eat that much of my savings away on something that may not be needed atm.

Ah yea...

I think I'll have to sit this deal out. Hopefully SSD go down soon, I want one but I don't want to eat that much of my savings away on something that may not be needed atm.

Games load a bit faster, but it doesn't matter since you're stuck waiting for everyone with slow computers to load the map anyway.

Ah yea...

Fps wont change in wow it is the loading. When my gskill 60gb ssd died I had to play wow off my mechanical drive, and when I was playing I noticed some textures looked like crap and I thought my video card was messed up but about 5 seconds latter a high detail texture loaded. Wow likes to stream data from the drive while you are playing and with a ssd you won't notice that some stuff loads way after the loading screen because it will already be loaded.

Games load a bit faster, but it doesn't matter since you're stuck waiting for everyone with slow computers to load the map anyway.

Good point.

So a SSD is mainly to speed up OS use?

Think prices will drop off quicker this next year with them?

Is that MSI 470 the best deal we are going to see? I really need to know if I should jump on this or not. Will there be better deals on Cyber Monday?

Good point.

So a SSD is mainly to speed up OS use?

Think prices will drop off quicker this next year with them?

Intel ssds have held there price for a year now, which is why this is such a hot deal on this one. But the sandforce drives just keep dropping in price, but I honestly cannot recommend a sandforce drive to any one. Next year they should get cheaper but I doubt any cheaper than $1/gb.

Wow it charged then another order popped up, I guess the first one did go through....

It wont cancel instantly either. It better not charge twice.

Is that MSI 470 the best deal we are going to see? I really need to know if I should jump on this or not. Will there be better deals on Cyber Monday?

I would say cyber Monday would be equal if they have a deal but I doubt any lower.

Wow it charged then another order popped up, I guess the first one did go through....

It wont cancel instantly either. It better not charge twice.

For some reason you cannot cancel until they charge you, at least that was my experience and you don't get a refund for like 2 days. It's kind of lame because they charge you pretty much in 5 min.

No one can really say.

I know there have been some hot deals on 470's lately. This is the lowest I've seen it, and at $180 it's hard to beat.

My buddy picked up the PNY 460 for $150 after MIR. He can OC near or at 470speeds and I can probably OC the 470 to near or at 480 speeds.

At least those are the two cards I see dropping a lot. Also, some 5850 and 5870 deals. Though, the one sapphire 5870 didn't seem to have much OC room, and that was $215. So I jumped on this 470 deal.

For some reason you cannot cancel until they charge you, at least that was my experience and you don't get a refund for like 2 days. It's kind of lame because they charge you pretty much in 5 min.

Wow I used a debit card and don't have that much in the account. It should just get denied the second time though but it says charged already and they didnt take anything out of my account.

EDIT: Great now they both say charged....

Wow I used a debit card and don't have that much in the account. It should just get denied the second time though but it says charged already and they didnt take anything out of my account.

I don't know how your bank is. Mine won't let me overdraw my account, but yours might let you and charge you. So you might want to call newegg to get that sorted out. I bought the mushkin ram but it didn't say I bought it till 45 min later.

I would say cyber Monday would be equal if they have a deal but I doubt any lower.

I'm so nervous to press that Submit Order button...

The only thing holding me back is that a lot say it runs quite hot, but is that true of all the 470s that are reference?

I don't know how your bank is. Mine won't let me overdraw my account, but yours might let you and charge you. So you might want to call newegg to get that sorted out.

There call center is not open right now, I have mine set up to deny the card if it is going to overdraw though so I should be okay.

The only thing holding me back is that a lot say it runs quite hot, but is that true of all the 470s that are reference?

if you plan to do it try now.

Looks like it's sold out otherwise...

If so don't get mad though. Based on what I've seen another 470 or even a 460 deal should pop up pretty quick.

And yes to anwser your question. They run hot and suck in a lot of power, but they are built to work with high temps. I know a lot of people run the 470 and 480 and reach 80c easily under full load. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your case is vented well.

I would just get it, I got a 6850 and its good but the gtx 460 is cheaper and performs the same, and the drivers aren't great on the 6850. Also on cyber monday if it is cheaper I would say only by $20 at most if you are extremely lucky. So I would get it now so you get the deal and if there is a deal on cyber monday you lost out on $20 at most if you even had an opportunity to buy the card. Right now most of the great deals at stores and online have come before actual sale days this year, it's weird.

if you plan to do it try now.

Looks like it's sold out otherwise...

If so don't get mad though. Based on what I've seen another 470 or even a 460 deal should pop up pretty quick.

And yes to anwser your question. They run hot and suck in a lot of power, but they are built to work with high temps. I know a lot of people run the 470 and 480 and reach 80c easily under full load. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your case is vented well.

lol, well I clicked it and it seemed to go through. Lets see what happens.

If you can handle the card with your system, and it's what you've been looking for, it's a hell of a deal. I even considered it myself but I'm forcing myself to wait for the 6900 series to come out. But for $180, if you're even considering it at all, why would you be nervous?!? It's a great card at a phenomenal price. If you're worried it might have a few $ cheaper deal on monday... You'll never be happy because there's ALWAYS a better sale "next week". Buy it (if there are even any left) and enjoy it. You got it at a great price. Maybe not the absolute best price but so freakin what. It's $100 cheaper than many people already paid for them. Enjoy it.

Ah yea...

If you bought this drive, you'd notice that when you first start up WoW and login, it'd take significantly less time in the loading screen. After that, you'd get virtually 0 benefit out of the SSD (except when you went to another loading screen for an instance). It's convenient and pretty nice, but by no means is it essential.

You would notice that Firefox/Chrome would open up a lot faster when you clicked on them, though ^^ And the OS in general would feel a lot snappier and more responsive when you clicked on stuff.

Just for that, SSDs are pretty awesome. Once you use one you can't go back :p

Care to elaborate?
Lol just saying that we here at hardforum encourage spending lots of money on pc parts that we probably don't really need. I don't need a 120gb hard drive because I have two 60gb drives but I am going to sell one and put the other in my laptop.

Lol just saying that we here at hardforum encourage spending lots of money on pc parts that we probably don't really need. I don't need a 120gb hard drive because I have two 60gb drives but I am going to sell one and put the other in my laptop.

Do you see the 6600GT I am running now? I would say a new card falls under the "need" category? :p Well, as much as someone "needs" to play games anyway.

And I didn't get it. Got an OOS e-mail. Oh well, I'm sure there will be another sale on Monday on some.

Lesson learned: If its a good deal...don't hesitate. lol

Either people don't think the intel is a good deal or they got a boat load of them. I would expect that thing to sell out quick.

Either people don't think the intel is a good deal or they got a boat load of them. I would expect that thing to sell out quick.

Was also a similar deal at frys for a 120gb Patriot inferno. I'm sure the crowd has been split between the drives, lol.

The deal is great...if you're into the SSD right now. (Quite honestly I want one too but would rather wait until the price per gig drops some more).
Really though, everyone wants that 2TB deal back. It's storage that everyone is looking for.

Man now I feel like I didn't get a great deal on the 120gb intel drive, if it had sold out in like 5 min yeah. It's nice to be part of the I got this crazy cheap in like 3 seconds that it was up club. :p

The deal for the 120GB gskill from yesterday is still up. Fact is $185+ shipped is not that hot for a BF deal, let alone AR. May as well wait for the next gen if that's all they can bring.

Hopefully there real and not a slug of aluminum with a picture of a hd stuck on it. lol

I just can't justify spending 185 on a drive when I'll have all my programs and such on a second drive anyway. If I had the money to blow, sure but as it is I could build a nice little machine for 350 with those deals... I just have no idea what I'd use it for or who else could use it either.

I want to spend the money, I just don't know why.

used the 25% off promo code to get a new Black ink cartridge for my Epson printer :p

I am pissed at myself. I forgot about my credit card validation on newegg because it was so early and by the time my I got to it the Gskill RAM was sold out.

Do you see the 6600GT I am running now? I would say a new card falls under the "need" category? :p Well, as much as someone "needs" to play games anyway.

And I didn't get it. Got an OOS e-mail. Oh well, I'm sure there will be another sale on Monday on some.

Lesson learned: If its a good deal...don't hesitate. lol

LOL! You were going to buy the 470 and put it with your XP 3000+ :eek: It's a good thing it was OOS and you didn't waste your money

The MSI GTX 470 came back in stock for a bit, just picked it up and an Antec Truepower New 750... SLI should be fun.

Back