NEWEGG: Crucial M4 256 $180 or Sandisk Extreme 240 180

damn im waiting for prices to go down but i need one for my boot drive!!!
crucial m4?
more space lol

when i think about it I'll buy mine at staples
bought cheap giftcards there lol

God fucking dammit... I JUST bought the M4 yesterday from Newegg for $214.... bastards.

I want the SanDisk Extreme -- 180 is a great price.

I told myself I need to wait till its 160ish. I'm getting along just fine with my 64GB kingston + 10TB hdd space :-p

I figure I got another month or two before we see another 20 dollars knocked off.

I want the SanDisk Extreme -- 180 is a great price.

I told myself I need to wait till its 160ish. I'm getting along just fine with my 64GB kingston + 10TB hdd space :-p

I figure I got another month or two before we see another 20 dollars knocked off.

any reason why instead of crucial?

Want, but want 7mm more. Finding it hard to convince myself to pull the trigger until refinance goes through early next week.

Noobish question here, but I assume you have to buy an adapter bracket to fit an M4 into a typical 3.5" HDD bay? (i.e. does it come with what you need for that or do you need to purchase it seperately?)

Noobish question here, but I assume you have to buy an adapter bracket to fit an M4 into a typical 3.5" HDD bay? (i.e. does it come with what you need for that or do you need to purchase it seperately?)

It doesn't come with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, but I wouldn't say it's 100% required either. SSD's have no moving parts, are very light, and are encased in a non-conductive plastic shell. You can tape it to the floor of your case or behind a drive cage without worry.

So... which is the better SSD? I've heard good things about both.

My understanding of it is that both are equally reliable, but Sandisk's performs slightly better, however you lose a little bit of space, which I think is negligent at this point.

It really comes down to what your preference is -- I doubt you could go wrong either way. Personally, I'm holding out for Sandisk.

Another question...

How good will this deal be in about 3 monthes? Still in Afghanistan, not building my system until September, but this price seams really good right now. Have SSDs been trending downward in price, and can I expect a better or similar price come September or should I bite on this now?

I'm definitely considering getting the Sandisk and giving it a go. I've heard some good things about these ssds, so I might just have to try her out.

damn the prices are the same for me on amazon with my discount so I won't be buying yet

chat with them

Rachel: Hi, my name is Rachel. How may I help you?
Me: I just bought this Crucial M4 256GB SSD two days ago for $214.99 and now you have it for $180 with promo code EMCYTZT1768 ... I was wondering if I could get store credit for the difference.
Rachel: I'd be happy to help you with that. May I please have a moment to look into this for you?

Me: Sure!
Me: Order number is XXXXXXXX
Me: Customer number XXXXX
Rachel: Thank you for waiting. I show your order was placed as of 6/14, but the promo code is valid from 6/16 to 6/17. In this case, you are ineligible for it.
Rachel: However, as you are our valued customer, I can make an exception and offer a $20 credit to you.
Me: I would appreciate that very much.
Rachel: You are welcome. I have issued you a $20 credit into your account to honor this. It will take 3-5 business days for the funds to be posted onto your original payment method.

Me: OK, thank you very much, I appreciate your assistance, Rachel
Rachel: You are welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Me: No, that is all... thank you very much for your help!
Rachel: You are welcome. Thank you for contacting Newegg. I hope you have an Eggcellent day!

Rachel has disconnected.

So it wasn't the $35 difference but I wasn't about to be greedy... lol. Kinda still feel a bit shafted because most stores will not only give you the difference in full, but like 10% of the difference just for your trouble.

So it wasn't the $35 difference but I wasn't about to be greedy... lol. Kinda still feel a bit shafted because most stores will not only give you the difference in full, but like 10% of the difference just for your trouble.

Order the one for $180
Refuse shipping on the original one
Keep the $20 credit
/Profit

Edit: Btw the m4 is only $169.99 over at buy.com if you haven't used their $10 off coupon before

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-256gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/221150375.html?ro=&&
http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=82955137&&

Order the one for $180
Refuse shipping on the original one
Keep the $20 credit
/Profit

Edit: Btw the m4 is only $169.99 over at buy.com if you haven't used their $10 off coupon before

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-256gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/221150375.html?ro=&&
http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=82955137&&

If you RMA something that was given a credit, they subtract the credit from the refund.

Thanks for the buy link, forgot about that. Just made a new account with an other email.

Another question...

How good will this deal be in about 3 monthes? Still in Afghanistan, not building my system until September, but this price seams really good right now. Have SSDs been trending downward in price, and can I expect a better or similar price come September or should I bite on this now?

I would bet that in 3 months it would be an even more amazing deal. Not trying to be sarcastic. I would guess in 3 months you could pick up a 256GB SSD for 150 without any fancy coupon codes or special sales.

I've been rocking my 64B SSD for a while and it's getting harder and harder to resist buying one of these awesome deals. The buy.com code pushing this down to 169 has me seriously tempted to jump on it today. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I don't "need" it anytime soon.

Yes the prices of SSD's (and all flash-based storage devices) are well on their way South...... in fact I read an article somewhere recently that the industry leaders admitted that it was time for a PRICE WAR amongst themselves to spur competition, increase the end-user adoption rate, and ultimately, increase sales for them so they could continue to fund new fab plants and more innovation.

If tech history is any indicator, we can look forward to continued price drops and ever increasing capacities and speeds, as this is a win-win for the consumer AND the mfgr's too......

with regards to getting the credit at newegg, their customer service ROCKS ! and has for a L O N G time :D Over the past 10 years, I have been fortunate to have only a few minor cs-related issues with them, but every single 1 of them were handled just as eggcellently as the conversation above indicates......

As a side note though, I can say exactly the same thing about Buy.com & Tiger Direct too ;)

Gah - I'm sitting here at work (yes on a sat) and for the past hour I just about convinced myself I need to jump on the M4 or Sandisk extreme deal this weekend, However there is still that voice in my head saying "wait one more month, you really don't need it.

170-180 dollars for 256GB is a smoking hot deal. I think I can hold out for one more month and snag one for 160 shipped :)

I have been running on a Samsung p810 256gb for about a year and got it for 180. I can't wait till these turn to 150 each or lower cus I am going to have to buy two!

However there is still that voice in my head saying "wait one more month, you really don't need it.

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I'm "assuming" there might be some better deals during July 4th. So I can't decide whether to jump now and buy one for a new gaming build or wait a couple more weeks.

I just bought yesterday an intel 330 180gb from amazon (139 after rebate, 75c/gig)... is this drive better or just comparable? I'm tempted to change to this drive... but would then have to pay to return to amazon... :-/

Another question...

I would say hold off until you are back state-side and completed your thankless job of protecting us. If I had to bet on prices and such...by the time you are actually ready to build...the new Sata 4 stuff should be out and that should push the prices of the current tech down a bit more. BTW, In case nobody has told you lately...THANK YOU (and tell your buddies) for your service.

Thanks! Ordered when the deal went live on the Sandisk and it's already shipped out for a tomorrow delivery. Please Newegg don't ever charge tax to NY like Amazon :)

I'm with the others in that I'm waiting for ~$150 price range to buy. I have 160 GB worth of SSDs right now and I'm not exactly hurting for space.

Hey guys,

I'm interested in the Sandisk but am unsure of any bottlenecks with my current mobo

ABIT IP35-Pro

I believe it is just SATA and am not up to date on SATA I,II,III compatibility

Thanks

Newegg is telling me the promo code is expired,but the price is still only 184.99 on the Crucial drive.

Back