Newegg hard drive packaging

Currently, I'm waiting for Zipzoomfly to stock the drives I want. Why ZZF? Because they are the only online vendor I know of who consistently follows the manufacturers' instructions for shipping hard drives!

Is this still true? The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to buy a new Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ (single drive) and NewEgg, ZZF, and Directron all have it. I've used Directron in the past for PSUs and the packaging was excellent, but I've not gotten anything from them lately, and I've never ordered from ZZF. And I've used NewEgg a lot but never for a hard drive.

The last hard drive I purchased online was a Seagate 250GB from TigerDirect about 4 years ago. The packaging was horrendous. Just the drive in its plastic box inside a larger box with no packaging materials or cushioning of any kind at all. Just loose in the box! I'm surprised it has worked for 4 years (or at all) but it is now failing, so I'm replacing with the Samsung. I swore I would never get another hard drive online after that. But now I'm reconsidering.

Since NewEgg has the best deal on this drive right now, and since, from the looks of this thread, it looks like their packaging of drives is good, I'll probably go with NewEgg on this.

Is this still true? The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to buy a new Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ (single drive) and NewEgg, ZZF, and Directron all have it. I've used Directron in the past for PSUs and the packaging was excellent, but I've not gotten anything from them lately, and I've never ordered from ZZF. And I've used NewEgg a lot but never for a hard drive.
It seems to be. I agree, Newegg is good for everything else, but I'm still very hesitate to order hard drives from them. I've ordered from Directron twice. Neither order included a drive, but one had a CPU heatsink and a case, and the sink was placed bare and unsecured inside the case to bang around all the way here. That was years ago, and it might have been an isolated incident, but of the three you mentioned, I'd still go with ZZF for a drive

I bought a refurbished drive from Mwave a few years back and it came wrapped in about 3" of bubble wrap - enough to meet WD's standards. I don't think they sell Samsung HD's, though.

Does it sound odd that my drives came from Newegg's RMA Warehouse in Whittier, CA? Did anyone else who ordered HDD from Newegg notice there drives were shipped from the RMA warehouse?
One wonders if the drives were shipped from the RMA warehouse because someone else didn't like the way they were packed and sent them back.

I did some nosing around and found this.
http://forums.pcper.com/showpost.php?p=4403639&postcount=5
Newegg Support on forums.pcper.com said:
Anytime a customer refuses an order it comes directly back to our RMA warehouse or if a customer gets an order and returns the item without opening the item it also comes back to our RMA warehouse. We then either ship the item from our RMA warehouse or send it to the appropriate warehouse where that item is stocked for shipping. So you are actually getting a new retail item. Unless ofcourse, there was an error by our shipping department and they shipped you a used item. Which usually does not happen because we do have our quality control department check the order before it is shipped. If for some reason you need further assistance in this issue, please contact me at [email protected] or by telephone at 800-390-1119 ext 25040.

Newegg Customer Support
--"Once You Know, You Newegg."
So, apparently, if you order hard drives from Newegg and send them back unused because they weren't packed properly, Newegg will go ahead and ship them as new to someone else. And the battered drives might ship from a new-merchandise warehouse so that the second customer will never know.

I think nearly any retailer would do this, and I don't think that it's a dishonest practice in general. Most computer hardware is solid state and so it's either damaged in shipment or not, and it's usually fairly easy to tell. But this is not true for hard drives, and when the reason for the return is abysmal packaging, selling the drive again as new is egregious.

I don't believe that Newegg is being deliberately dishonest, but they (and many other vendors) need to start treating hard drives as the relatively fragile electro-mechanical contraptions they are.

I know that when I recently purchased 3 WD 1.5TB Green drives, I placed 3 separate orders rather than selecting a quantity of 3 in a single order. I got emails for 3 separate UPS shipping numbers.

If Newegg would properly package drives, I would not hesitate to place a single order for 3 drives. But after reading how some orders for multiple drives were shipped, this practice is warranted to ensure the drives aren't banging into each other inside the shipping box. :rolleyes:

I just noticed that Directron has an option to "double box" OEM drives for $3. Anyone know what you get for that?

I know that when I recently purchased 3 WD 1.5TB Green drives, I placed 3 separate orders rather than selecting a quantity of 3 in a single order. I got emails for 3 separate UPS shipping numbers.

If Newegg would properly package drives, I would not hesitate to place a single order for 3 drives. But after reading how some orders for multiple drives were shipped, this practice is warranted to ensure the drives aren't banging into each other inside the shipping box. :rolleyes:

I just ordered two as well. This time the drives came individually wrapped in bubble wrap. Then they were individually placed in small white boxes. Then those boxes were put in an overstuffed box of peanuts with the other item I ordered. They seemed quite secure.

I just ordered two as well. This time the drives came individually wrapped in bubble wrap. Then they were individually placed in small white boxes. Then those boxes were put in an overstuffed box of peanuts with the other item I ordered. They seemed quite secure.

Thats exactly how all 3 of my drives came except it was filled with paper. No movement what-so-ever. Almost in line with ZZF and their great HDD containers.

Well, it sounds good, but read through this thread and you'll see not everyone got the "white box" packaging service. Or if they did, only one of the drives were in the white box or the box wasn't "stuffed" with peanuts or the amount of bubble wrap was insufficient or... etc., etc. I took no chances but still I worry. Why not use those clam shell thingies and tape the suckers in foam and then bubble wrap em?

Same here, ordered 3 1tb wd green drives. Drives in bubblewrap, in 3 white boxes, in a bigger box full of peanuts. I guess the egg finally got tired of the complaints.

just got a drive from newegg from the tn warehouse. came wrapped in bubble wrap and in the white box. white box was taped shut and then had brown shipping paper packed around it. not movement and drive is working perfectly

Well, they've reverted back to their old ways. Ordered two Western Digital WD1002FBYS 1 TB drives and they came in bubble-wrap only. One drive is damaged through the mylar packaging, smashing the controller plastic housing and cracking it. the other has no padding in the corner. I'm sending both back.

Which warehouse? I received a WD15EADS yesterday from the RMA warehouse (new purchase though) in California and it came in it's static bag, wrapped in bubble wrap and put into a small box maybe 3 times the volume of the drive. This box was wrapped in packing paper and then put in the shipping box.

Yikes, so long story short, don't order hard drives from Newegg. How about Amazon? Does anyone know if their shipping is any good for HDD's?

well I don't know what's going on with Newegg but about 2 month ago I order a WD caviar black it came package in a bubblewrap and little box and then another big box with paper in it. that's fine for me. Last week I order a WD Green 1.5 and it came in one bigbox with little white things in it and the hard drive in bubblewrap. (they both came from the same warehouse in NJ.)

Don't know what to think about this.

However I currently have hard drives that I bought in newegg about 5 years ago and they still working fine. Lucky me I guess:p

Just got a drive from the NJ warehouse, packed in anti-static bag, bblack foam, bubble wrap, small box inside larger box, surrounded by air babags. This was Tuesday.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I've bought HDs from NewEgg without issue. I don't think their brick rate is any higher than the other places.

I decided to buy my last HDD from new egg since it came with the black x dock. The price was enough to make me do it even though I usually never buy them from new egg. It came it wrapped in 3 layers of bubble wrap in a box full of peanuts, so I was satisfied, and its working just fine.

It came from the CA warehouse.

It came it wrapped in 3 layers of bubble wrap in a box full of peanuts, so I was satisfied, and its working just fine.

It came from the CA warehouse.
Thanks for the heads up, because this is the packing we don't want, though 3 layers is certainly better than 1 or 2.

From the horse's mouth: The right ways to pack a drive

Unfortunately i'd probably still order a hard drive from them if the deal was hot enough.

Thanks for the heads up, because this is the packing we don't want, though 3 layers is certainly better than 1 or 2.

From the horse's mouth: The right ways to pack a drive

Unfortunately i'd probably still order a hard drive from them if the deal was hot enough.

Agreed, but it seems to be working fine, so I'm satisfied. I normally don't buy from new egg period, but the deal was worth it to me. I still just buy em locally or from ZZF

I also can confirm, I ordered a replacement seagate from egg for a job I am doing.

500gb drive (single) was in the usual static bag.
the bag was wrapped in bubble wrap and placed inside a small white folding locking cardboard box, identical to some pictured here.

that box was then shipped in the usual brown shipping egg cardboard box with the brown paper wrap shipping material as stuffing.

A definitive improvement when compared to previous shipping methods.

I live in S. FL. The box came from CA.

K, the shipping box is large enough for printer. The retail box itself has 2 layers of bubble wrap and then a shitton of peanuts.... so overkill.

This one was from the CA warehouse.

Back