Newegg no longer allows for memory refund. WTF

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
I guess I haven't bought memory lately, but when the hell did this happen. I just bought to sticks of Muskin that won't post at the rated speeds and I cannot refund or exchange for a different brand. If this is the case, see ya Newegg.

No the voltage should be at 1.9v it's around 2.0v at the moment. But it will not run at the rated 1600 @ 7 7 6 18. Maybe I need to up the voltage more. What's the max for DDR3?

The bigger question is how long has NE done this? Have I been asleep?

* mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996601 - Retail
* Qty:
* Not eligible
* $124.99

This item is non-refundable, and is therefore not eligible for a refund RMA.
Not sure this is the case for ALL memory, but it is for what I ordered and yes my board supports 1600.

From Newegg's site:

Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

I've noticed that with memory, at least the stuff I've been using, is that it usually doesn't detect the max settings. My default is pc800 5-5-5-15 1.8v but it says it can run at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v, but I have to manually set that. I tested that speed and it does run at that but there is no performance boost so I just leave it at default.

From Newegg's site:

Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

More and more items are having this appear, including motherboards and videocards.

More and more items are having this appear, including motherboards and videocards.

Gee, maybe because people have ABUSED THE SHIT out of Neweggs formerly liberal RMA policies? Spoiled ass children killed the goose again...

Gee, maybe because people have ABUSED THE SHIT out of Neweggs formerly liberal RMA policies? Spoiled ass children killed the goose again...

Will not debate that topic, but it sure curbs the loop hole for those that did. I don't know if I ever returned an item to newegg for refund, ie not an exact replacement, outside of open box that was DOA and they would not send you a replacement. However having an option to exchange for a different product, ie if you experienced a compatibility problem, was a good feature to have if you ever needed it.
I only noticed it recently a few months ago when I was looking at the warranty. The vast majority were this policy with only a few not. I could understand no-name brands, but Asus and big brands were included.
On that note there was one person bragging on the forums about how he buys items from newegg with the standard return policy and returns them after the items goes deactivated. Then newegg is forced to return the original ammount when he returns the item. He stated the item is now defective, when really it's not. He would then rinse and repeat essentially giving him a free upgrade every new release.

There's always the manufacturer. Do your research though. Some brands you should avoid. Others shouldn't lead you to wanting a refund anyway. Corsair has a great RMA process, and you're almost guaranteed a working kit. Newegg isn't going to test your replacement.

I don't think it's the memory having a problem, i'd be looking at the board. Reading through the user reviews that board seems to be a PITA.
I've used a couple of DDR2 DS3 boards and found that they were terribly flaky compared to the rock solid UD3 series.

Don't buy Mushkin. Seriously.
eh?

unfortunately if you cant get em to run, your only option is to factory RMA, and hope those work or sell to recoup as much as possible and go with another vendor. Good luck partner.

i would still try and speak with their customer service. if you havent had many events such as this in your past order history with them , they may be willing to help you out.

Newegg will RMA them with a restocking fee of course IF I order another brand from them. So my only choice was to order GSKill. I have some now PC10666 and they run great. I should not have gone with Muskin and I knew better, but the price looked good.

I definitely never return anything unless I just cannot get it to work as intended, but I 'always' order something else from them to replace it.

I guess I understand it somewhat especailly since there are those that abuse the system, but of course the ones that really 'need' to replace something can't, the a-holes (not Newegg).

Oh, my board is not a DDR2/DDR3 board. It's only DDR3 and it's a very good board for overclocking.

Mushkin has always been top notch about things.

RMA to them, they'll fix the problem.

There's always the manufacturer. Do your research though. Some brands you should avoid. Others shouldn't lead you to wanting a refund anyway. Corsair has a great RMA process, and you're almost guaranteed a working kit. Newegg isn't going to test your replacement.

I agree. I RMA'd my DDR1 XMS PC3200 Platinum 2x1gb sticks with them this winter. They sent me 2x2 gb sticks and said "thanks for being a loyal customer"!!! I freakin' love Corsair!

Damn! I'm loyal! They didn't send me more RAM than I sent in a few months ago. Feh.

It must've been they were getting rid of DDR400 stock... not sure. No complaints here though. I've put value corsair ram in customer's PC's and boxes that are 1-7 years old are still running with no issues! Corsair is the BMW of memory companies. I also hear their power supply's "rock the casbah" as well.

It must've been they were getting rid of DDR400 stock... not sure. No complaints here though. I've put value corsair ram in customer's PC's and boxes that are 1-7 years old are still running with no issues! Corsair is the BMW of memory companies. I also hear their power supply's "rock the casbah" as well.

Corsair is awesome about their warranties too. I had a corsair PSU I bought second hand on craiglist and all I Had was the PSU, and it was non-functional. So I RMAed it and they approved of the RMA. I sent it in a (very very) well paded box and got a BRAND NEW PSU a week later.

I had an old pair of Corsair CMX512-2700LLPT modules that started giving me problems and errors in mem test 86+. They would not RMA them for me because i had lost the original receipt. OCZ and G-Skill will still honor their lifetime warranty without the receipt.

I had an old pair of Corsair CMX512-2700LLPT modules that started giving me problems and errors in mem test 86+. They would not RMA them for me because i had lost the original receipt. OCZ and G-Skill will still honor their lifetime warranty without the receipt.

Are you talking about your retailer? We do not require a receipt for RMAs.

Have you contacted customer support and explained your situation?

I just returned some OCZ RAM without a problem... but it was never opened.

I think this message may pop up because they mean that if the RAM is still under warrantee you will need to send it back to the manufacturer and not to NewEgg (?).

Hopefully you'll get your refund - good luck!

I'm curious as to 'why' they changed it. As we all know here there are certainly things in PC building that don't always work as intended. Memory, in my opinion is one of these cases. Memory is always dependent upon liking your motherboard. So, if you get sticks that don't want to work with your motherboard, and I know some will say 'check the compatibility list for your MB' yet we know that MB makers don't test 'that' much memory. One question, why doesn't 'all' memory work with every MB? Anyway, I think it's a bad move for Newegg to change the policy. I realize there are those who abuse the system, but if you can't get memory to work as stated then you should at least be able to return and try a different brand. At least that's my 2 cents.

I'm curious as to 'why' they changed it. As we all know here there are certainly things in PC building that don't always work as intended. Memory, in my opinion is one of these cases. Memory is always dependent upon liking your motherboard. So, if you get sticks that don't want to work with your motherboard, and I know some will say 'check the compatibility list for your MB' yet we know that MB makers don't test 'that' much memory. One question, why doesn't 'all' memory work with every MB? Anyway, I think it's a bad move for Newegg to change the policy. I realize there are those who abuse the system, but if you can't get memory to work as stated then you should at least be able to return and try a different brand. At least that's my 2 cents.

Like it was said above, it was likely abused. I'm sure a good chunk of people must of O/Ced (and over-volted) the ram too much and fried and it then RMAed it. Plus since almost all ram has a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer... its just easier to tell the customer to go thru them instead. I agree its wrong but it makes sense buisness-wise.
Where I work we don't accept returns on most parts unless we install them because we've had too many people damage them by improper installation.

meh, if I can and at good prices, I'll always buy at amazon instead of newegg. Amazon is the best. They give full funds without silly restocking fees and pay for you to ship back defective items to them. seriously, they are awesome.

amazon is on and off for me, sometimes it'll take 2 weeks to ship out something, other times 3 days, but theres always some ridiculous delay. That and their cs is so so. To me, they resemble wal mart but online, cheap, but at a cost, not too dissimilar with buy.com. Newegg on the other hand has always had good CS and ships next day, even with free shipping for me.

Amazon's CS isn't nearly on the same level as Newegg's, and they aren't going to credit you after price drops, but Amazon Prime is amazing.

why is there less and less customer service in the world? first costco, now newegg :(

To the people who are saying not to buy Mushkin RAM, I don't know about your experiences with Mushkin RAM but mine have been quite good.

My parents are still running a P4 that I built in 2001 using Mushkin RAM and it has not had a single problem. I have a Q6600 crunching WCG projects for the [H]orde and being used by my wife with 4GB DDR3-1600 Mushkin RAM. No problems with it either.

I can't speak for their return policy as I have never had to use it, but my experiences with their RAM has been truly exceptional.

Computer hardware is incredibly easy to damage by mishandling it or not knowing what you are doing. On top of that you have people intentionally pushing their hardware to the breaking point to only return it to Newegg at their expense. I don't blame Newegg at all. Still the best CS I've dealt with. I bought a case part from another site not reading the fine print "all sales are final" I couldn't even cancel the order before it shipped! and people wan't to complain about Newegg :rolleyes:

Don't buy Mushkin. Seriously.
My record with Mushkin is 0-2, and the error rate was so horrendous that I never bought any more. The stuff wasn't reliable at all unless I slowed the command time from 1T to 2T. Oddly, the SPD identified it as Kingston, and the part numbers on the chip looked sort of like those I had seen on some Kingstons (no brand).

Ever since UTT and house-sliced chips became the norm for the retail market, I've experienced such high defect rates that I'll buy only Crucial if I have to buy from a non-local dealer or a dealer that doesn't give a 100% money-back guarantee. It seems that only Crucial DRAM is always made with chip manufacturer branded chips any more.

Man, its hard to get all these brands in Aus, but there is no need, I pay for the Corsair memory and power supplies, and I will NEVER look back, although, my PSU does scream? I heard corsair will replace it, but i dont htink they are in australia :(, but yes their memory is awesome!

Back