Newegg OEM HDD packaging hits all time low

you guys are barking up the wrong tree.

Take those pictures and send a well written e-mail to the manufacturer, and ask them politely if newegg's shipping methods are acceptable. If you ever RMA'ed a drive to the manufacturer, there are packaging standards on the form. No manufacturer would be happy to be getting back defective products because their wholesaler doesn't know how to package.

I bought 2 drives approx 2 weeks ago, both were in the new cardboard sleeves.

However, I have never had a bad hard drive packaging job from newegg. Most of mine have been static bag ->plastic clam -> Styrofoam surround -> bubble wrap.

Newegg has updated their packaging methods. They posted on Facebook today showing their new method; it looks fairly secure.

Those pictures are from amazon.com, not newegg.com.

The new packaging is apparently only being tried at newegg's CA warehouse.

Here is the newegg entry, with 3 pictures that do not show the packaging very well:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=223805&id=5585759167&ref=mf

It kind of looks like they just took a bubble-wrapped HDD and placed it in a cardboard sleeve. Unless there is more to it than that, it does not seem like a big improvement.

Are the people at newegg morons? The obvious way to ship HDDs has been amply demonstrated -- some sort of plastic or cardboard endcaps on the HDDs, and then fit the assembly into a larger box. As long as the endcaps can flex a little bit but not crush, this provides a great deal of shock absorption. And it is a common industry practice, so how can newegg not know about it?

Last edited:
Newegg doesn't want to deal with a special shipping process for harddrives, esp. one that doesn't work well for packing density for multiple drives.

That said, one of the comments on the facebook post really resonated with me. Fedex seems to treat things a lot better than UPS does. I never had a DOA on fedex shipped drives. Ah for the days when Fedex was the primary shipper for newegg...

It kind of looks like they just took a bubble-wrapped HDD and placed it in a cardboard sleeve. Unless there is more to it than that, it does not seem like a big improvement.

Wow, that's even worse than I thought. They had been shipping HDs wrapped in bubbles then into a sealed mini-box that fully closed.

That thing's open on two ends. That's a backwards step from what I've been receiving the Newegg lately.

Are the people at newegg morons?

Yes, and problem is: intentionally so.

I can only think these "new" boxes are less cardboard than what I've been seeing from then lately.

So, again, less expense for Newegg.

It only shows their bottom line is more important to them than not over-extending my credit line with returns and RMAs.

Back