Newegg: Open box Velociraptor $200, QUICK BEFORE OOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
as much as I'd want to jump on this, I'm leery of buying a brand new hard drive from them, much less an Open Box one.

This item is covered by Newegg.com's Open Box Item Return Policy.

* Return for refund within: 15 days
* Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

><

as much as I'd want to jump on this, I'm leery of buying a brand new hard drive from them, much less an Open Box one.

Aren't most drives from newegg OEM? Newegg is a reputable company and its unlikely that the products they sell are defective. I am not saying that all of them are perfect, its just unlikely to find a defective hard drive. In the event the product is defective, WD is also a very good company and requesting a replacemenet from them would be the next course of action. Atleast thats what ive heard every time I see a thread on this item on here or slickdeals.net.

I'm defending the item simply because I remember times when I saw this item and, fearing the product would be defective, gave the deal some thought. A few minutes later (literally 10-20 min later), the produce was OOS. Now if the product had high rates of defectiveness, then every time this deal was posted by another member on this forum or slickdeals, we should see various posts by disgruntled individuals denouncing this deal, but if I remember correctly, have never seen such a thing (if you have, please link me to the post). In short, I don't wana anyone to miss out on a great deal like I had.

Aren't most drives from newegg OEM? Newegg is a reputable company and its unlikely that the products they sell are defective. I am not saying that all of them are perfect, its just unlikely to find a defective hard drive. In the event the product is defective, WD is also a very good company and requesting a replacemenet from them would be the next course of action. Atleast thats what ive heard every time I see a thread on this item on here or slickdeals.net.

I'm defending the item simply because I remember times when I saw this item and, fearing the product would be defective, gave the deal some thought. A few minutes later (literally 10-20 min later), the produce was OOS. Now if the product had high rates of defectiveness, then every time this deal was posted by another member on this forum or slickdeals, we should see various posts by disgruntled individuals denouncing this deal, but if I remember correctly, have never seen such a thing (if you have, please link me to the post). In short, I don't wana anyone to miss out on a great deal like I had.

I've just read a LOT of threads about how shitty Newegg's is when shipping hard drive shipping. $70 is one thing, $200 is another.

I know everyone complains about the hard drive packing, but the 10+ drives I've ordered over the years have been wrapped and packed properly in bubble wrap. I live in California, maybe the warehouse here is better?

I ordered it last time it was in stock and it was delivered today. Packaging was fine. Lots of shipping popcorn and the HD itself was wrapped in 4ft of large bubble wrap. Just finished installing vista 64bit and everything runs fine.

Love the extra space compared to the raptor x and the additional speed is also a nice benefit.

Not worth it for me.. Minimal gains in gaming load times and *just* 300GB :X

I've just read a LOT of threads about how shitty Newegg's is when shipping hard drive shipping. $70 is one thing, $200 is another.

newegg shipping hard drive shipping is perfectly fine. ordered a hard drive from them and it came in an antistatic bag and plenty of peanuts in the box. the drive works fine.

ZZF wins it for hard drive shipping - they packed mine into its personal foam container that was almost an inch thick on each side.

ZZF wins it for hard drive shipping - they packed mine into its personal foam container that was almost an inch thick on each side.

my second to last HD form them came crushed.....just like borat would say too good to be true and I will crush you!.

RMA provided a Refurb raptor thats has worked since but I still have had better luck from newegg than ZZF.....Last 1TB HD I ordered from ZZF came in an oversized box with air filling itlooked like it could have bounced around if I was not in CA.

I live in Cali

OOS allready = FAIL I was in the market too....

I have had zero issues with hard drives from the egg. I order 1-5 a week from them, all OEM, all come wrapped in like a damn foot thick of bubble wrap (OK, more like 3-6") and a zillion peanuts in the box. I practically have to use a chainsaw to cut thru the wrap. If you people wanted a drive wrapped in a foam cocoon or the like, guess what, you'll probably have to start ponying up some more $$$ for shipping/packaging. Then you'd B&M about that...

The big question, is 300gb of Velociraptor worth even $200 when you can get 640gb of WD6400AAKS for $80...

Fewer and fewer people are doing serious work on desktops these days, preferring instead laptops. I'd easily spend $300 for that level of performance in a laptop, but since I only really game with my desktop (and the servers get that performance through raid)... I don't see the value.

Oh look, a troll...

Seriously dude you might be the troll. For most people even $200 for a 300GB Raptor is too much when more than twice the storage can be had for less than half the open box price.. The guy posted a legitimate argument.

Seriously dude you might be the troll. For most people even $200 for a 300GB Raptor is too much when more than twice the storage can be had for less than half the open box price.. The guy posted a legitimate argument.

People considering these are not buying them for the storage size. Its a completely different purpose for Raptors and standard SATA 7200 drives. Its like going into a laptop deal thread and being like "But look, you can get this desktop for half the price and its faster!". This is a hot deal forum, and the VRaptor / 6400AAKS argument is out of place here.

I mean heck, look at JBrinley's post, you can get a 320 drive for $32! :eek:

Maybe if we were discussing it's merits in "Storage", but in "Hot Deals", I consider him a Troll.

People considering these are not buying them for the storage size. Its a completely different purpose for Raptors and standard SATA 7200 drives. Its like going into a laptop deal thread and being like "But look, you can get this desktop for half the price and its faster!". This is a hot deal forum, and the VRaptor / 6400AAKS argument is out of place here.

I mean heck, look at JBrinley's post, you can get a 320 drive for $32! :eek:

Maybe if we were discussing it's merits in "Storage", but in "Hot Deals", I consider him a Troll.

How is this trolling? What I posted is a legitimate consideration to if this is a hot deal or not. And it's been shown time and again that the difference between the Velociraptor and the 6400AAKS is barely perceptible in regular use (gaming, etc).

How does that not belong in the "Hot Deals" forum? Maybe someone who didn't realize how closely the performance of the two drives is would google it and save themselves some cash on a "Hot Deal" because of my post.

I would love to have a Velociraptor, but the difference is just so marginal that this is not a hot deal for me... hence the post. This is not even considering that the drive is double the size... that's just a perk.

$100 off a $300 HD is pretty nice. Regardless of storage space this is a nice deal.

I would love to have a Velociraptor, but the difference is just so marginal that this is not a hot deal for me... hence the post.

OK, then I consider it thread crapping. :D

I hope it comes back...

The deal comes back from time to time but it seems to be on a weekly basis, every 2-3 weeks for so. Ive been looking out for this deal back in late July and ive only scene it 3 times (including this time). The previous 2 times it was posted here and on slickdeals.net and it was gone in seconds and before I could put an order. Honestly, I suggest you putting a link to the item on your toolbar and check it everytime you are on the comp, all times of the day, its just a quick click and it will in stock or not.

With that said, I think the discussion about the VR and the WD6400AAKS is focused on the wrong thing; as this is a hot deals thread, instead of price/performance it should be focused on current price/regular price. The current price of the VR is around $300 (with Free shipping). The open box price is $200 ($8-10 shipping) representing a 25%-30% discount, although not a hot deal by itself, I have yet to see a VR less than $250 anywhere else, open box or not, ever since it came out.

With that said, I think the discussion about the VR and the WD6400AAKS is focused on the wrong thing; as this is a hot deals thread, instead of price/performance it should be focused on current price/regular price. The current price of the VR is around $300 (with Free shipping). The open box price is $200 ($8-10 shipping) representing a 25%-30% discount, although not a hot deal by itself, I have yet to see a VR less than $250 anywhere else, open box or not, ever since it came out.

The best price I saw on the Velociraptor was some cheap eBay auctions paired with the 35% cashback from the live.com promotion. That's when I almost bought one but instead started researching them further.

Every thread in hot deals that pertains to the raptor/velociraptor line degenerates into an argument over cost vs. storage space. Anyone who is considering this drive is well aware that you can get alot more storage for cheaper. If you want it, buy it. If you don't want it, don't buy it. We don't need links to cheaper drives. Debate the merits/shortcomings of these drives in the storage forum. And $100 bucks off this drive is definately a hot deal.

Not for me they dont....sent me 2 crushed Raptors a few years back......then gave me the runaround on an exchange.......said I damaged the drives......I had to do a CC chargeback on those assholes.....

haven't ordered from them since, and never will again.

Fuck ZZF...

Anyway, back on Topic.....Its a great deal if you ask me.....and if I didnt already have an 80 Gb Velociraptor, I would grab the 300..but I only use it for a boot drive and dont need that much space....

all HDD i ordered from newegg came wrapped in plenty of bubblewrap and o lot of packing peanuts in the box.Always arrived next day.The one i ordered last from ZZF came in a "coffin" with nothin else than air in an oversized box . The coffin with the drive in it was basically falling around in the box.Took 10 days to get here.Good luck it still worked.

Every thread in hot deals that pertains to the raptor/velociraptor line degenerates into an argument over cost vs. storage space. Anyone who is considering this drive is well aware that you can get alot more storage for cheaper. If you want it, buy it. If you don't want it, don't buy it. We don't need links to cheaper drives. Debate the merits/shortcomings of these drives in the storage forum. And $100 bucks off this drive is definately a hot deal.[/IMG][/URL]

You obviously didn't read my posts. I said the extra storage was just a bonus.

In real tests, the speed of the drive doesn't make more than a fraction of a second difference in most applications. I will go out on a limb and say that most people who purchase this drive, if you swap it with another drive after the fact they wouldn't even notice they reran benchmark tests.

damn I missed it again. I wanna replace my raptor 150 with this one...I need a little moer space for my OS drive even...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back