Newegg Shellshocker: OCZ Vertex 60GB $164 after MIR (plus free 4GB USB flash drive)

wish this had popped up earlier. bought up an agility already. maybe i should just get one of these too. lol.

holy christ

i want

but having debit card problems, need to go by bank after class!!

Does this have trim support? I don't know what trim does, but I've read you only want drives that have this.

It has TRIM support.

I'd like to bite on this one, but OCZ pulled a rebate scam on me. They approved the rebate but NEVER sent it to me. Over a month and a half after them approving the rebate, I have yet to see anything and they do not respond to my emails.

Nice deal, even at $169 though. Wish I could pick two up.

It has TRIM support.

I'd like to bite on this one, but OCZ pulled a rebate scam on me. They approved the rebate but NEVER sent it to me. Over a month and a half after them approving the rebate, I have yet to see anything and they do not respond to my emails.

Some of my OCZ rebates took 3 months, but I've always received them eventually.

Amazon has a $20 MIR, so their drive is $149 after MIR. Just in case you want to pick up two of them. Or you can get one Agility ($169 - $40MIR) and one Vertex ($194 - $40MIR)...

It has TRIM support.

Most MIR's take 3-4 months until you get the money back. Hell I think I've had one go 5, almost 6 months.

So why has Newegg changed the price on this thing about 4 times this morning? Seems pretty damn shady.

NewEgg's always shady as far as price goes. Remember the crap they pulled with the X25-M?

yeah wow i remember that x25-m debacle, they jacked their prices up like what, 150 percent over MSRP??

I have both the Vertex and Agility drives. Here are my CrystalDiskMark numbers I just took right now from both on 1.4 firmware with TRIM support. I have not reformatted in about 4 months. All these drives are in the same computer.

7200 rpm HDD:
------------------
Sequential Read : 77.707 MB/s
Sequential Write : 75.666 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 37.942 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 36.734 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 0.580 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 1.194 MB/s

Agility 60
--------------------------------------------------
Sequential Read : 183.668 MB/s
Sequential Write : 116.213 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 120.824 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 65.139 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 26.838 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 7.813 MB/s

Vertex 120:
--------------------------------------------------
Sequential Read : 224.979 MB/s
Sequential Write : 141.551 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 164.707 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 126.477 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 29.023 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 16.354 MB/s

Here's the numbers on my Agility 120, FW 1.4, no format for 2 months:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sequential Read: 178.6 MB/s
Sequential Write: 163.2 MB/s
Random Read 512KB: 121.6 MB/s
Random Write 512KB: 112.2 MB/s
Random Read 4KB: 11.36 MB/s
Random Write 4KB: 7.232 MB/s

It used to be a bit faster I think....pretty soon I'm going to upgrade to FW 1.5 so these numbers will probably get a bit better.

^ Wow the Vertex is significantly faster than the Agility. I knew it was, but that's bordering on noticeable.

Oh thanks, that makes me feel better :p.

For what it is worth, it is still light years ahead of a mechanical drive.

Considering that write speeds on my drive are pretty darn close the read speeds on the sequential and 512KB tests, I have a sneaking suspicion that a format would help. I'm going to try and dig up my old performance numbers.

Oh thanks, that makes me feel better :p.

For what it is worth, it is still light years ahead of a mechanical drive.

Considering that write speeds on my drive are pretty darn close the read speeds on the sequential and 512KB tests, I have a sneaking suspicion that a format would help. I'm going to try and dig up my old performance numbers.

You spent less, though ;) I was just making an observation. I'm sure the Agility is a great drive, especially for what you pay.

You spent less, though ;) I was just making an observation. I'm sure the Agility is a great drive, especially for what you pay.

Bingo. I got it when it was on a firesale @ NewEgg, and will end up paying only about $250 once I my rebate back.

I, personally, cannot justify the cost of a Vertex when the Agility is right there...for $129. I want two of these so badly, I might just have to figure out how to cover it. Has anyone had any luck getting two rebates during a single promotion?

Bingo. I got it when it was on a firesale @ NewEgg, and will end up paying only about $250 once I my rebate back.

I, personally, cannot justify the cost of a Vertex when the Agility is right there...for $129. I want two of these so badly, I might just have to figure out how to cover it. Has anyone had any luck getting two rebates during a single promotion?

Got a friend/family in a different household nearby?

I wouldn't call it nearby, but it might work. My grandmother lives about 3 hours from here :p. Either that or have my wife order one, but have it delivered to the main office for our apartment complex. Different names, different addresses, but a small chance we'll have issues getting either the drive or the rebate.

Or just...order one from Amazon and end up paying $20 more...to avoid future hassles.

IDEA: Wait...there are two rebate forms listed, each a different promotion, for the Agility or Vertex. Why not just order to Agility drives and use different rebates? Crap...the 2nd rebate is still only $20. Hmmm...

Last edited:
My bad...Amazon's MIR expired a while ago. Sneaky of them to still list in on the Agility's main page :mad:...

^ Wow the Vertex is significantly faster than the Agility. I knew it was, but that's bordering on noticeable.

For both Agility and Vertex, the 120GB drives are 15% faster than the smaller versions (30GB and 60GB). IIRC, Agility drives are 5-10% slower than Vertex due to the slower flash used. So, comparing a 120GB Vertex to a 60GB Agility isn't the best idea. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong.

For both Agility and Vertex, the 120GB drives are 15% faster than the smaller versions (30GB and 60GB). IIRC, Agility drives are 5-10% slower than Vertex due to the slower flash used. So, comparing a 120GB Vertex to a 60GB Agility isn't the best idea. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong.

wait...so 120gb vertex>60gb vertex in terms of speed? i'm seriously considering selling my 60gb agility i bought last week and replacing it with this.

wow. i have two of these, and paid $200 ea only 2 months ago. they are damned nice in RAID-0, now that 1.5 firmware has TRIM + GC. Very fast. sonuva bitch they're getting cheap.

wow. i have two of these, and paid $200 ea only 2 months ago. they are damned nice in RAID-0, now that 1.5 firmware has TRIM + GC. Very fast. sonuva bitch they're getting cheap.

Not cheap enough...yet.

Back