Newegg TV: Sandy Bridge Design Issue Explanation & Workaround

I wish he wouldn't say you will "need" to swap out the motherboard when the revised ones are out.

Because you don't need to replace it unless you need to use the affected ports. Using only the 6Gbps ports, perhaps with an add-on card for more ports, is an acceptable solution IMHO for those that don't want to tear down their systems. Yes, I understand that some people will want to get it replaced anyway, and that's fine. But, the board will work without issue as long as you avoid those problem ports.

I think you may be missing a very important point to most of us and thats 'Resale Value' I take meticulous care of my gear incuding saving the boxes, packing ect. so when I change parts or upgrade my current gear can bring top dollar on the used market. I want to make sure that I have a 'Documented' fixed version of my P67 board. I don't think people will have short memories on this issue and will ask the questions when these boards show up on the used market in the future.

I think you may be missing a very important point to most of us and thats 'Resale Value' I take meticulous care of my gear incuding saving the boxes, packing ect. so when I change parts or upgrade my current gear can bring top dollar on the used market. I want to make sure that I have a 'Documented' fixed version of my P67 board. I don't think people will have short memories on this issue and will ask the questions when these boards show up on the used market in the future.

Yes, I understand, and I was including those in the people that will want to get it replaced.

I have never had a computer that I have resold. I keep em till they are done or give them away to friends and family. If your computer is working fine you may as well not be in a hurry to be without a motherboard. Just wait until the new boards are out, read some reviews on them see if they have issues and then move forward with the RMA if you want the newer features.

And since you recycle the boards out to someone else later, it would be an even better idea to make sure everything on it is going to remain working. Who's to say you'll remember that the ports aren't reliable? Or that the next poor soul stuck trying to fix it will know either. Better to get it replaced now and save the headaches down the line.

Back