[Newegg] Velociraptor $290, FAR $25 Visa card

novadude

[H]ard|Gawd
If you don't have a BB in your area for tomorrow's sale, get a $25 Visa card with the Velociraptor drive from Newegg

VERY good deal, but I just can't order HDDs through Newegg. It's the only hardware I avoid from them, too many failures with their bubble wrapped drives.

if you dont need 300gb for your boot drive, their is a guy selling the 80gb velociraptors (dell oem pulls) over on the fs/ft forum for around $130. he has benchmarks posted and they seem to perform a decent amount better than the 300gb. i am in for 2. nice raid 0 array. btw, these are able to be used with the standard sata hot-swap racks, un like the 300gb.

Someone bought his drive and it turned out it wasn't any better. I got all excited over it and was going to buy a 80GB for my OS.

even if its "only" as good,
a) i dont need 300gb boot drive
b) 2 in raid 0 is faster/cheaper than 1 300gb
c) can use my sata backplane
d) $250 - $300 too much for me to spend to use it as a data drive

so for me it works out a little better.

I agree 100% with this only I'm a newb when it comes to setting up raid drives, guess ll just wait for a smaller cheaper drive to show up.

just remember that those drives from FLECOM have no warranty since they've been pulled from Dells, otherwise it's a great deal.

The Bestbuy deal is a little more expensive after tax if you use a 10% off coupon but you get it that day and don't have to wait on the rebate

VERY good deal, but I just can't order HDDs through Newegg. It's the only hardware I avoid from them, too many failures with their bubble wrapped drives.

You got that right!! They suck with too many hard drive failures... STAY AWAY!!

Back