[Newegg]XFX R9 FURY X 275usd (AR+discount)

darn - I got rid of my amex card when Costco phased them out.

I'm looking at a pair of these Fury X cards and a eyerfinity display of HP Omen 32 from Costco for $275 each. ($25 off coupon of $250 purchases available on ebay)

$300 AR is still a great deal on a Fury X. I love my current card.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
If you are thinking about going with that HP Omen display then good luck with a 1070 and all of its frameskipping glory. For people that have a Freesync display this is a great option.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Yes indeed, FreeSync makes a very huge difference in smoothness. In other words a 40fps+ Fury on FreeSync feels better then 50fps 1070 non free sync. One thing I do like about the 1070 or Nvidia I should say is adaptive vertical sync - if you can keep the frame rate up it is extremely smooth and without noticeable mouse lag. Only Vsync I've ever used that I liked. Now sometimes I shift my monitor to 50hz just for that reason to keep that FreeSync/GSync smoothness using adaptive sync.

The biggest limit I see with the Fiji line is the 4gb of memory, while in most cases the reduce settings are not that different in IQ or gaming experience. Still a $300 Fury and a FreeSync monitor will be one hell of a good gaming setup.

Last edited:
Yup. Freesync is one of the best reasons to buy a AMD card right now.

The "GSync tax" on top of the cost of a new decent monitor makes the total cost of a new mid-high range NV card + monitor hard to justify IMO. Especially when you consider that your monitor will likely have to last across a few video card upgrades.

Unless you've got money to burn of course then yeah who cares do what you want.

Yes indeed, FreeSync makes a very huge difference in smoothness. In other words a 40fps+ Fury on FreeSync feels better then 50fps 1070 non free sync. One thing I do like about the 1070 or Nvidia I should say is adaptive vertical sync - if you can keep the frame rate up it is extremely smooth and without noticeable mouse lag. Only Vsync I've ever used that I liked. Now sometimes I shift my monitor to 50hz just for that reason to keep that FreeSync/GSync smoothness using adaptive sync.

The biggest limit I see with the Fiji line is the 4gb of memory, while in most cases the reduce settings are not that different in IQ or gaming experience. Still a $300 Fury and a FreeSync monitor will be one hell of a good gaming setup.

4gb HBM VRAM isn't the limitation you'd guess.

Check out a 4GB Fury X crossfire setup vs Titan X 12 GB SLI setup at an eyefinity resolution of 11520x2160. (Three 4K monitors). All the traditional thought about 4GB of VRAM not being enough for high resolution gaming isn't very applicable against AMDs HBM memory on the Fury cards. I hope people will latch on to this concept!

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7...dia-geforce-gtx-titan-11-520-2160/index5.html

Last edited:
Reactions: T-Bob
like this
4gb HBM isn't the limitation you'd guess.

Check out a 4GB Fury X crossfire setup vs Titan X 12 GB SLI setup at an eyefinity resolution of 11520x2160. (Three 4K monitors). All the traditional thought about 4K not being enough for high resolution gaming isn't very applicable with AMDs HBM memory on the Fury cards. I hope people will latch on to this concept!

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7...dia-geforce-gtx-titan-11-520-2160/index5.html

I just picked up a second one for my 4k HTPC, that is definitely an interesting test!

Back