newer quad 1366 procs - when?

wheelsx45

n00b
I planning on building a x58/920 build in next two weeks. Should I build this now or wait a few months for newer motherboards and cpus?

I am thinking if I wait maybe 2 months there will be cheaper or better 1366 motherboards and newer quad cores around the same price as the 920.

There is the rumored i7 930 which will increase the clock speed to 2.8 GHz (meaning you'd have more overclocking potential with the higher multiplier), but per Intel's roadmaps (at least as of now) there will be no 32nm quad-core parts until Sandy Bridge. If rumors are correct, the 930 should be out in Q1 2010.

For motherboards, the X58 will probably be the exclusive northbridge until Sandy Bridge (haven't heard anything about this, but Intel's roadmaps do not mention new northbridges for LGA1366). Southbridges are a different story - Intel has historically released a new ICH every year, so hopefully we'll see an ICH11 within the next 6 months hopefully with SATA 6Gbit/s and USB 3.0 although there has been some discussion of Intel not adopting USB 3.0 until 2011.

Yeah that I was wondering. Since there will be no 32nm , may as well get a 920 with the new ASUS P6X58D Premium

No, don't bother paying extra for useless USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbit support. There is only one USB 3.0 and one SATA 6Gbit controller (from NEC and Marvell respectively).

ASUS has implemented SATA 6Gbit better than the others, but it still isn't perfect. That Marvell controller connects to the chipset with a single PCI Express (1.0 or 2.0) lane. ASUS is using a PLX bridge chip to bridge two PCIe 1.0 lanes into a single PCIe 2.0 lane. That offers double the bandwidth of competing implementations, but two SSDs or even a Micron RealSSD and a decent hard drive will probably saturate that link. It's not a good solution.

The best solution, of course, is for Intel to finally release the ICH11 with real SATA 6Gbit support. And I'm guessing that'll happen within 6 months judging by their historical release cycle on the ICH southbridges. If you need to build now I suggest a cheaper board such as the EVGA SLI LE or the ASUS P6T (the vanilla version, not Deluxe) as a temporary board until ICH11 is released and boards are available.

No, don't bother paying extra for useless USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbit support...

I am not sure that you would be paying more than $10 extra for this support, since both P6TD Deluxe and P6T Deluxe are both just $10 less.

At least, if we are solely talking ASUS boards.

...It's not a good solution...

Which is the current best ASUS 1366 solution?

I am not sure that you would be paying more than $10 extra for this support, since both P6TD Deluxe and P6T Deluxe are both just $10 less.

At least, if we are solely talking ASUS boards.

I did not realize the P6X58D was only $10 more. The P6X58D may be worth considering but not because of the SATA 6Gbit or USB 3.0 - but rather because it supports 3-way SLI or CrossFire (versus the P6T Deluxe only supporting 2-way; amazingly, the cheaper P6T supports 3-way SLI).

Which is the current best ASUS 1366 solution?

That's a difficult question. I'd suggest the three boards with 3-way SLI or CrossFire (keep in mind 3-way means three separate cards, and quad-GPU means two X2 cards like GTX 295 or 5970): P6T (vanilla), P6X58 (but not for the SATA 6Gbit which is useless IMO), or R2E. If I were to build using an ASUS board today I'd go with the P6T.

Sata 6Gbit useless? you mad mate. Ever heard of this thing called future proofing? I can sure as hell think that its probably AMAZINGLY useful! SSD's dropping in the next 12 months with i'm gonna bet all on the new SATA3 controllers. Why limit yourself. And who the heck uses tripple graphics cards in SLI/Crossfire? I believe the OP was on about processors, not GPU's so that should be the main concern.

What will the computer be used for? Since that might determine the expansion slots you'll need. No of PCI-E 16 (not just for graphics, raid cards too) 8, 4, 1, pci and pci-x.

Also if you intend to buy into SSDs then SATA3 is a good investment for the future and saves taking up slots on your motherboard with controller cards. USB3.0 is great for newer peripherals, external drive/raid arrays, transferring to (hopefully anyway) pmp's at much faster rates once faster memory becomes common.

I have a P6T Workstation Professional - its rock solid. mine runs 24/7 with a 920 and has done basically since I built it 10 months.

32nm chips wont be out till q1/2 at the earliest and from what ive read those will be i9 6 core chips. I wouldnt wait, grab a i7 920, overclock the tits out of it.

USB 3.0 is great, but let's get hard drives that can saturate SATA 1 before we get ahead of ourselves with "future proofing" for SATA 3.

USB 3.0 is great, but let's get hard drives that can saturate SATA 1 before we get ahead of ourselves with "future proofing" for SATA 3.

Uh, SSDs, supposedly the new OCZ Colossus doesn't have a problem saturating Sata 3 Gbit/s (SATA II). Crucial has new Sata 6 Gbit/s (SATA 3) drives announced, supposed to be shipping 1st quarter 2010.

I am kind of nervous going for the p6t because it is one of the oldest x58 motherboards. I am guessing the new Asus board will be up to date and mature. I am not getting it because of usb3/sata6 or sli/CF, just want something rock solid. Cause I dont plan on upgrading for at least 2 years. The sata 6 seems like itll be good for when I buy an SSD in 6 months.

hard drives that can saturate SATA 1 before we get ahead of ourselves with "future proofing" for SATA 3.

Hard drives that saturate SATA1 will probably come in 2010 if there is a new areal density achieved that packs more than 500GB on a single platter. There are single sata drives pushing 120 MB/s.

The big thing is SSDs. Current generation models push 250MB/s and are probably already held back by SATA2. The next generation SSDs will be over 300MB/s and thus need a new interface.

Sata 6Gbit useless?

I never said SATA 6Gbit itself was useless. Quite the contrary, in fact. It's that the current implementation of it is useless and will be bottlenecked by the PCIe upstream.

I would love a SATA 6Gbit board with a better controller that supports a faster (PCIe 2.0 x4 for instance) uplink. Or even better, an ICH11.

And who the heck uses tripple graphics cards in SLI/Crossfire? I believe the OP was on about processors, not GPU's so that should be the main concern.

That's called future proofing, actually. Some people who bought 8800s a few years ago choose to add one or two more 8800s rather than upgrading to the next generation. Even if you might never use it, I prefer to have the possibility open.

What will the computer be used for? Since that might determine the expansion slots you'll need. No of PCI-E 16 (not just for graphics, raid cards too) 8, 4, 1, pci and pci-x.

That's a good question, but the boards I suggested will be fine for the vast majority of users here. I doubt many people here have use for PCI-X.

Also if you intend to buy into SSDs then SATA3 is a good investment for the future and saves taking up slots on your motherboard with controller cards. USB3.0 is great for newer peripherals, external drive/raid arrays, transferring to (hopefully anyway) pmp's at much faster rates once faster memory becomes common.

Remember, it's not SATA 6Gbit that's useless, it's the current implementation that is. Wait for AMD's Leo (which will include SATA 6Gbit and USB 3.0 on the southbridge) or ICH11 which will hopefully have both, or even a better controller.

32nm chips wont be out till q1/2 at the earliest and from what ive read those will be i9 6 core chips. I wouldnt wait, grab a i7 920, overclock the tits out of it.

If you can wait I'll suggest grabbing an i7 930 assuming rumors are true. The higher multiplier (it's not much, but I'll take any extra MHz I can get) should offer higher overclocking potential, and the 930 should be around the same price as the 920.

But if you need to build now, by all means go with the 920. It's not a bad choice.

Whats the limit on the SATA3 implimentations just now? I thought they were fine from the reviews, along with the usb 3.0 :S

2 Cards in SLI yes thats perfectly acceptable but 3 just seems a bit drastic for older cards instead of just buying one new card, probably save buying a new psu too. But I do get where your coming from.

I can only speak from experience on my P6TWSPro - its on all the time, I do heafty photo editing on it, playback lots of 1080p video (cpu decoded, i have a G80 8800GTS 640 so no gpu decoding for me) - Mine has never reset on me, temps are all good and ive got my ICH10 loaded up as well as my SAS ports.

What is it you want to use the rig for? In the end if you want it now you can always stick a PCI-E 4/8x card in the second 16x slot on the P6TWSPro for a SATA3 controller/raid card.

Workstation Revolution has 6 PCI-E 16x slots which you can use any 1,4,8 or 16x card in - although I'm not sure what speed all the slots run at though. I think it also has the SAS controller.

While SSDs can saturate SATA 2, they are also horribly expensive for their capacitty, and are really only useful when paired with a separate data-only drive (in short, the SSD replaces a Raaptor/Velociraptor as a boot drive). Worse, you will need an SSD for each OS you plan on running (OUCH!).

No, thank you! I'd rather stick with an all-WD tag-team (Caviar Black and Caviar GP, both of the 2 TB size) which, while not as fast as SSD, also doesn't cost like SSD, either.

Uh, SSDs, supposedly the new OCZ Colossus doesn't have a problem saturating Sata 3 Gbit/s (SATA II). Crucial has new Sata 6 Gbit/s (SATA 3) drives announced, supposed to be shipping 1st quarter 2010.
Doubt it, they are only 260/260MB/s and just a tad faster than a single Vertex, it takes 3 Vertex 128/250 to max it out and that is still not a big issue as when it is needed we have a better "new gen" CPU here and better (X68?)boards and as always there is nothing that is more "future proof" than other things when things go forward rapidly.
Besides you won't notice the difference unless you are a hardcore user of BIG files and need the speed but then only the bigger is of intreste and they are just expensive for storage, "Need" as casual user there is PCIe controllercard for you out when you really need it.

No, don't bother paying extra for useless USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbit support. There is only one USB 3.0 and one SATA 6Gbit controller (from NEC and Marvell respectively).

ASUS has implemented SATA 6Gbit better than the others, but it still isn't perfect. That Marvell controller connects to the chipset with a single PCI Express (1.0 or 2.0) lane. ASUS is using a PLX bridge chip to bridge two PCIe 1.0 lanes into a single PCIe 2.0 lane. That offers double the bandwidth of competing implementations, but two SSDs or even a Micron RealSSD and a decent hard drive will probably saturate that link. It's not a good solution.

The best solution, of course, is for Intel to finally release the ICH11 with real SATA 6Gbit support. And I'm guessing that'll happen within 6 months judging by their historical release cycle on the ICH southbridges. If you need to build now I suggest a cheaper board such as the EVGA SLI LE or the ASUS P6T (the vanilla version, not Deluxe) as a temporary board until ICH11 is released and boards are available.
I would not bother paying just for SATA III support. However I think faster USB is a must; even my 16GB Apacer can manage to max out the USB2 connection, and I have no doubt with flash drives becoming larger and faster, bigger drives from more reputable companies like Corsair and Kingston have no trouble saturating the USB2 connection. This is not to mention all the USB external hard drives (though I haven't actually seen a USB3 HDD yet, though I'm sure that this will come very quickly when USB3 support becomes more widespread).

If there was a faster USB then these flash drives could be much faster. They use the same flash (well maybe slower) chips as SSDs but with really dumb/slow controllers.

Workstation Revolution has 6 PCI-E 16x slots which you can use any 1,4,8 or 16x card in - although I'm not sure what speed all the slots run at though. I think it also has the SAS controller.

Don't bother with that board. It has the nForce 200 PCIe bridge on it which does nothing more than add latency. Ask yourself how they're managing to 'multiply' a PCIe x16 uplink into several PCIe 2.0 x16 downlinks. It's not possible. IIRC [H] tested one of these boards (might have been the Supercomputer) and found exactly what I'm stating: added latency, no added performance.

Doubt it, they are only 260/260MB/s and just a tad faster than a single Vertex, it takes 3 Vertex 128/250 to max it out and that is still not a big issue as when it is needed we have a better "new gen" CPU here and better (X68?)boards and as always there is nothing that is more "future proof" than other things when things go forward rapidly.
Besides you won't notice the difference unless you are a hardcore user of BIG files and need the speed but then only the bigger is of intreste and they are just expensive for storage, "Need" as casual user there is PCIe controllercard for you out when you really need it.

You doubt what, that they can't saturate SATA II like I said? Those speeds are saturating SATA II, you think there's no overhead? Look at the z-drive's, they're already past SATA 3 speeds.

I was under the impression that they were created for the PCI-express 2.0 spec, which is why they are so fast. So why are you comparing this to an SSD on the SATA interface?

I think the point is if the SATA interface was fast enough OCZ would not need to have a PCIe version with builtin SCSI controller.

Yeah, I am starting to think I will just wait. Probably will just upgrade to a new video card. But I really do not know what I am waiting for, I guess when there are new affordable 32nm Quads?

You doubt what, that they can't saturate SATA II like I said? Those speeds are saturating SATA II, you think there's no overhead? Look at the z-drive's, they're already past SATA 3 speeds.
No it does not sature it, Colossus does only have about 70% of the capability of SATA2:s 3Gbit/s acording to there MAX specs that is only 260MB/s.. So i dont doubt it, they dont acording to the MAX specs that are just that MAX and is just low compared to 3xVertex that truley max out the specs of SATA2..

No it does not sature it, Colossus does only have about 70% of the capability of SATA2:s 3Gbit/s acording to there MAX specs that is only 260MB/s.. So i dont doubt it, they dont acording to the MAX specs that are just that MAX and is just low compared to 3xVertex that truley max out the specs of SATA2..

How are 3 Vertex's in RAID maxing out the specs of SATA II? They're attached to 3 separate sata connections, are you saying they saturate all 3 connections in RAID but if run as a single drive they can't saturate 1 connection?

As for the Colossus, it's sequential read and write speeds of 260 MB/s are approaching the theoretical max of 300 MB/s, it's close enough to say maxing it out, we'll never know if it's a hardware limit or not. Usually with MLC SSDs your reads are faster then your writes, in the colossus case, they're the same, which leads me to believe, it's maxing out the sata connection. Since the colossus is supposedly internally raided Vertex's, which do carry a higher read max then write max, why do you think that didn't hold true for the colossus?

How are 3 Vertex's in RAID maxing out the specs of SATA II? They're attached to 3 separate sata connections, are you saying they saturate all 3 connections in RAID but if run as a single drive they can't saturate 1 connection?

As for the Colossus, it's sequential read and write speeds of 260 MB/s are approaching the theoretical max of 300 MB/s, it's close enough to say maxing it out, we'll never know if it's a hardware limit or not. Usually with MLC SSDs your reads are faster then your writes, in the colossus case, they're the same, which leads me to believe, it's maxing out the sata connection. Since the colossus is supposedly internally raided Vertex's, which do carry a higher read max then write max, why do you think that didn't hold true for the colossus?
It is 375MB/s that is the max of SATA2 so 260MB/s is not even close, just almost there but not close enouth to call it anything special or say "we need SATA 3 now" and why 3 vertex is as good as it gets is because 4 dont make any inprovment over 3, actually it is slower in many instances but still have better controller than Colossus ever gonna get.

It is 375MB/s that is the max of SATA2 so 260MB/s is not even close, just almost there but not close enouth to call it anything special or say "we need SATA 3 now" and why 3 vertex is as good as it gets is because 4 dont make any inprovment over 3, actually it is slower in many instances but still have better controller than Colossus ever gonna get.

I'm not sure where you're getting a 375 MB/s number from, SATA Rev 2 only supports 300 MB/s because SATA uses 8b/10b encoding. 260MB/s is very close to the theoretical max that it provides, close enough to say it's there. As for RAIDed vertex's, if I'm going to spend that much, I'll just get a z-drive.

I'm not sure where you're getting a 375 MB/s number from, SATA Rev 2 only supports 300 MB/s because SATA uses 8b/10b encoding. 260MB/s is very close to the theoretical max that it provides, close enough to say it's there. As for RAIDed vertex's, if I'm going to spend that much, I'll just get a z-drive.
No max is 375MB/s by using simpe math, no way around that so 300 is just plain wrong.
SATA 2 would then only be called 2.4gbit and 260 cant be called close to nothing of 300 or the correct 375 because it is not close to anything, just tio far away to everthing, it is just a way to give some e-penis and "the need" of something they dont need or even know they miss.

No max is 375MB/s by using simpe math, no way around that so 300 is just plain wrong.
SATA 2 would then only be called 2.4gbit and 260 cant be called close to nothing of 300 or the correct 375 because it is not close to anything, just tio far away to everthing, it is just a way to give some e-penis and "the need" of something they dont need or even know they miss.

Do you have any idea how the SATA standard works? Go do some research and when you figure out that your simple math is wrong, come back and we can continue this conversation.

so the P6X58D is the best SATA 6 board available now?...better then the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7?

Actually, upon further reading, their implementations are similar, although my opinion (don't bother paying extra for this support still remains.

There is the rumored i7 930 which will increase the clock speed to 2.8 GHz (meaning you'd have more overclocking potential with the higher multiplier), but per Intel's roadmaps (at least as of now) there will be no 32nm quad-core parts until Sandy Bridge. If rumors are correct, the 930 should be out in Q1 2010.

I asked someone I know who works at Intel, and the 930 will be coming out around that time. (I don't have any other proof, but just saying - my source's information corresponds with bit-tech.)

I don't have any information regarding 32nm quad-core Nehalem parts.

Do you have any idea how the SATA standard works? Go do some research and when you figure out that your simple math is wrong, come back and we can continue this conversation.

Why?
I know what i need to and 260 IS NOT close to max of anything, period. Just a way to give some longer e-pen and call the "need of" something we dont need today period. When we realy need it controllercard is out to fix that very small issue.

Why?
I know what i need to and 260 IS NOT close to max of anything, period. Just a way to give some longer e-pen and call the "need of" something we dont need today period. When we realy need it controllercard is out to fix that very small issue.

You're the only one talking about an e-peen as you like to call it. The rest of us are talking about new processors, motherboards and new features that they have coming out. So, while we discuss these new features and what devices take advantage of them, read up on SATA and theorectical maxes and you'll see why 260 MB/s is close to 300 MB/s and why the need for a faster standard is there.

You're the only one talking about an e-peen as you like to call it. The rest of us are talking about new processors, motherboards and new features that they have coming out. So, while we discuss these new features and what devices take advantage of them, read up on SATA and theorectical maxes and you'll see why 260 MB/s is close to 300 MB/s and why the need for a faster standard is there.

i dont "need to read" anything as i know what i need to and it is you that think "we need" something that there is no need for yet exept the e-pen small child gets from having a P55-board with to many fetaures that looks cool but their is no use for exept raise the price. all i am saying is that right now we dont need something that we cant use anyway, perhaps with gen 3 of SSD we might need it and might even notice the difference if we pay close attention to the speed/time.
And once againg 260 is NOT "close" to 300 nomatter how you do it or think about it, its just regular 260 and nothing fancy exept just numbers that dont do nothing, come back with that claim WHEN we have something that is OVER 300 and really needs it and then controllercard is the best way to do it until next upgrade of MB for next gen CPU.

E.R, let me help you out here, since you seem to be horribly misinformed.

Subsequently, a 3 Gbit/s signaling rate was added to the physical layer (PHY layer), effectively doubling maximum data throughput from 150 MB/s to 300 MB/s.

Maximum data throughput of 300MB/s

So, a drive that maxes out at ~260MB/s is actually pretty danged close to the Maximum throughput of Sata II.

Now, back on topic:

I, myself, was looking at upgrading around April, depending on how some investments pan out, lol. The new i7's to hit around then should be pretty awesome, and I'm definitely excited about going from my C2D to a 6-core, 12-threaded beast with Sata 6Gb and USB3!

I have seen the future, and it's exciting!

Back