News Flash: Toshiba L25-S119 (BF Deal) can take Pentium Ms

xavier184 said:
Also...
What kind of performance gain are we talking about from:
1) 1.6GHz Celeron 400FSB --> 1.6GHz Pentium M 400FSB?
2) 1.6GHz Celeron 400FSB --> 1.6GHz Pentium M 533FSB?
3) 1.6GHz Celeron 400FSB --> Overclocked 1.6 Pentium M w/500 FSB?

:rolleyes:
The celeronM to Pentium M is a very small performance gain, as i think you know by the roll-eye face, but the major gain we're getting here is battery life. It almost doubles :)

Besides, we need a little [H] spirit. If it ain't broke, mod it 'til it dies!

Edit: Y/w jared, i'm glad to hear you got it working!

Is it just mine, or is the memory bandwidth really low on these things? I got around 1800 MB/sec on SiSoftware SANDRA's memory benchmark. Granted it is DDR2 with high latencies, plus I added a gig stick, hurting bandwidth, but it still seems like PC-4200 should outperform PC-2100 memory. :(

FYI - Purchased "Transcend, 1GB DDR2 533 SO-DIMM Memory (TS533N2-1024)" from NewEgg (~$70) and it works great with the L25-S119. :D

In lieu of doing the Pentium D swap/mod for ~$150, I'm leaning towards a $101 8-cell battery if the performance difference is negligible. Though cj2600's article on dis-assembly and modding the existing Celeron CPU sounds tempting, but probably not until after the warranty runs out, then I'll see if Pentium M processors are even cheaper then too...

But regarding cj2600's article, what is the perceived performance change for that mod?

I didn't do the 'roll eyes' :rolleyes: because I know, I'm just like incorporating these faces! :p

I just put in the 1GB stick of Transcend as well, its working great. However I am having issues with 3dmark (they don't really matter but I <3 synthetic benchmarks).

3dmark9ro.png

Doesn't Show up in 01 either.

Top was done with Omega 5.11
Bottom was done with default drivers.

Overclocking was done with ATITool.

Is anybody else having the same issue? If you aren't, what BIOS/Drivers are you using?

Thanks.

Also has anyone found a successful temperature monitoring program? Speedfan does the HD, and finds another sensor, but that sensor doesn't change.

Also ignore the AIM stuff, whoops ;)

I've tried all sorts of drivers, they either won't install, or don't show up either. Think I could install the HP xpress 200m GRAPHICS drivers, that are intended for the sempron/a64 platform?

Interesting... I have the same issues, but I can only get 500 3dmarks even with a pinmodded Celly at 2.0 Ghz and omega drivers and an extra gig of G.Skill Ram, on a fresh XP install. Not a huge issue, but just annoying.

And as for my earlier comment on memory bandwidth, pin-modding to a 533mhz FSB did not help too much, from ~1850 MB/sec to ~2250MB/sec.

Also, does anyone else have the issue when the fan turns off 90% of the time, but then spins up loudly only to decelerate and eventually turn off again? I think it is some fan controlling bug; it is so much less annoying the fan spins quietly but steadily.

Edit: Oh never mind, I missed that you overclocked the GPU.

Yea the GPU is overclocked. I score 484 @ stock GPU settings.

That's too bad that pinmod didn't make that big of a diference, the memory bandwidth is definitely very low.

I have the issue with the fan too, it spins up full for only about 2 seconds then turns off.
Have you found a working monitor program?

Thanks

Back