Next Car Game: Wreckfest

ryang

Gawd
Anyone playing the early release?
http://nextcargame.com/

I've been hooked, more so than Spintires. This is from the same devs as Flatout, just newer and better. The MP is solid too.

Being an early release has it's problems but they've been on a pretty good update schedule.

Never even heard of it until now, I have been looking for a fun car game.

Its pretty fun. Lots of memories of Destruction Derby while playing it.

I've been playing it for months now but went ahead and bought it last night because of the update. The only thing I miss about a game like this is it lacks an announcer , characters & a Soundtrack like the DD games had. It makes it seem kind of hollow.

That being said though, it is a blast to play Multiplayer!

Last edited:
Heh... When is the game coming out? "Sometime in 2014" You can get in on early access before the game is release in Spring 2014....

They might want to update that....

So why exactly are they charging VAT, if the price is in USD and I don't live in Finland??

Did they finally release the new build with working MP? I noticed the name changed to Wreckfest but sort of shrugged it off.

I picked this up over the summer, been fun to dick around in, but not much to do in the builds I've played.

Hotwheels stunt track driver was my favorite racing game =) That game was a blast

MP works fine. Occasional lag spikes since there is no dedicated server option at this point. I've hosted a 16 player game and it was great. Car parts everywhere.

I'm looking forward to custom maps and more physics based maps.

This is a last desperate kick of a dying breed. A racing / car crashing game that still uses rigid body physics. I just can't get excited for this, ever since RoR and it's offspring BeamNG. Granted Beamng is still very far from being anything near a completed game, it's not much more than a tech demo at this point.

Update 2016-04-20: Modding Support!
Bugbear Entertainment presents Next Car Game | Update 2016-04-20: Modding Support!

April 20, 2016/11 Comments/in News /by Team Bugbear

We’re back with a bang and you read it right: the latest update to Wreckfest adds an official vehicle modding support for both single and multiplayer, something that obviously many of you have requested to make Wreckfest an even more thrilling, unique experience. A recipe for awesomeness!

We’re providing you all the tools you need to export your vehicle model from Autodesk 3ds Max and then set it up correctly. The provided TGA to BMAP texture compiler can be used for other modding purposes as well, not just for vehicles. Be aware that since this is the first time ever that mods are officially support by the game it’s very likely that there will be quite a few hiccups along the way to make Wreckfest a robust platform for modding. Please also note that many things will still change and there is no guarantee that your mod will not break in a future update (or every update!).

To create a new mod first you should create a folder under “mods” that will contain your mod data. You can name the folder as you wish, for example ‘mods/MikesPowerMod’, ‘mods/SamsVehiclePack’, and so on are all valid names. You can create as many mod folders as you wish, so it’s definitely a good idea to create an own folder for each mod. The mod folders should have the same structure as the game’s main data folder (so first subfolder will be ‘data’), but only contain edited or new files. After you’ve created your car, you can enable in in the in-game mod manager found in the garage and it will appear in the in-game marketplace (price can be set to 0).

More instructions can be found in the game’s ‘tools’ folder.

Things to note:

• Provided tools allow exporting car models from 3ds Max and converting them to the game’s format.
  • TGA to BMAP texture compiler is also provided for texture modding.
  • Use included BagEdit editor to modify car’s parts and paramaters.
  • An example Wwise project and a guide for creating your own vehicle sounds can be found in tools/wreckfest_vehicle_audio_tools.zip.
  • Mod cars give no rewards and are not allowed on leaderboards.
  • You should not edit stuff inside the original ‘data’ folder, rather copy the files you want to edit to your mod folder.
  • Multiplayer requires that server and clients have the same mods enabled (though some things like car skins are excluded as before).
  • Dedicated server can also require mods by configuring mods=some_mod,other_mod.
Other changes and new stuff in the update:

• Parts no longer wear in multiplayer. As a consequence, multiplayer gives no crew experience and much less money reward.
  • Multiplayer now offers “rental cars” which cost nothing but also give no rewards at all.
  • You can now view server’s welcome message before joining, in the server browser. Feel free to list your required mods there.
  • You can now bring your favorite car to the front of the list by clicking the star icon.
  • Added lobby context menu options to show Steam profile page and open Steam chat for selected player.
  • Fixed Asian 1 shadow.
  • Fixed derby scoring sometimes stopping.
  • Fixed incorrectly set aero drag/torque.
As always, thanks for sticking with us!

I tried this game a year ago and it wasn't a wreckfest...it was a fucking lagfest on my 7970s. Single digits PER MINUTE. Don't know wtf was going on but I'm guessing it's better now :D

I wouldn't recommend buying this at the moment. Looks like they are trying throw the game together quickly now with bankruptcy looming and it's looking to be yet another early access failure.

Bugbear Entertainment filed for bankruptcy :: Next Car Game: Wreckfest General Discussions

BugbearEntertainment on Twitter

What really killed this game was the engine overhaul they tried to do which made it look, play and run worse then it did originally. They should have just built upon what they had which was great and saved the engine upgrade for a sequel.

is finally out of Early Access!
This game has been on my wishlist forever. Was hoping to pick it up for less than $45 though, so I'll wait for a sale.

Terrific game. :) I need to fire it up and see what they changed in the last month.

Just fired this game up last night after about 4 months, its great now! Was able to connect to one of the dedicated servers and play the muliplayer seamlessly. It was a very fun experience. It seems the engine has gotten a facelift also. It feels way better optimized & the new damage system is pretty fantastic.

Also the credits you earn in single player transfer to single player as well. Glad to see this game starting to shine after being in development hell for so long.

I finally picked this up recently when Fanatical had it for $20. It's great!

To me it's like FlatOut and Destruction Derby 2 had a baby. Plus lawnmowers. :D

20190325220418_1.jpg

20190325224049_1.jpg

I'm working my way through the career mode and having a blast.

Probably going to violate my "Never buy Early Access games" policy and pick up BeamNG.drive, also. It looks like a fun time waster and reviews are very positive, so if it gets out of EA that's just a bonus. I love sandboxy vehicle games and they are so few and far between.

Probably going to violate my "Never buy Early Access games" policy and pick up BeamNG.drive, also. It looks like a fun time waster and reviews are very positive, so if it gets out of EA that's just a bonus. I love sandboxy vehicle games and they are so few and far between.

I would recommend against BeamNG. That's not to say I haven't had a few hours of fun from it, but as a game, it's woefully thin on content. Don't buy it unless the idea of driving around a map by yourself and crashing a few times sounds extremely exciting to you. The included scenarios are razor thin and can be played through in a flash.

I really, really like the physics tech they have in it, they just need to work on adding ways to actually play it like a game. I mean, even if all they did was add some AI cars that just drive around the roads in the freeroam maps and some police cars that chase you if you speed or something, that would add so much.

I would recommend against BeamNG. That's not to say I haven't had a few hours of fun from it, but as a game, it's woefully thin on content. Don't buy it unless the idea of driving around a map by yourself and crashing a few times sounds extremely exciting to you. The included scenarios are razor thin and can be played through in a flash.

I really, really like the physics tech they have in it, they just need to work on adding ways to actually play it like a game. I mean, even if all they did was add some AI cars that just drive around the roads in the freeroam maps and some police cars that chase you if you speed or something, that would add so much.

Ahhh...I appreciate the insight, but I had already purchased it by the time that you posted. But, I am still within the refund period since I had to break for dinner. And, in my brief time with the game so far, I can agree with much of what you said.

Here's what I was hoping to get after looking at the screenshots on the Steam page: a sandboxy vehicle game that would let me goof off in a variety of environments with the inclusion of realistic physics and damage. To be honest, I'm more interested in trying to navigate some really fun terrain -- often using vehicles that probably would never be there in real life -- than actually racing (which I can get from a plethora of other car games, although I agree that the inclusion of some AI would be a welcome addition!). I want to send my heaps of junk off of spectacularly fun jumps, ramps, cliffs, etc. and do some rock crawling. If the game offers most or all of that, I'll be happy with it for the price. Mixed terrain and physics/damage modeling in a game like this offers way more possibilities for shenanigans than a track-based game where you can only bang, dent, and scrape your car up.

I haven't even begun checking out mods yet but it looks like there are a plethora of user created vehicles, scenarios, and terrains to download. I don't know how active the mod community is at this point in time, but that should add significant life to the game.

Here are some of the ones that stood out to me as being potentially worth checking out:

upload_2019-3-27_19-24-43.png

upload_2019-3-27_19-25-51.png

upload_2019-3-27_19-25-1.png

Anyway, I know that this thread isn't about BeamNG but given the fact that it hasn't been incredibly active, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. :p

Thanks again for your input friend, and as always I appreciate any other feedback you might have in case I'm way off base regarding my expectations vs. the actual game.

Wreckfest is clearly more polished, but I can see myself potentially enjoying both of these very much. I was trying to wait for BeamNG to go on sale, but it rarely ever does.

I'm going to second this. BeamNG is fun, but it's a lot closer to Garry's Mod than Wreckfest. If a physics playground that happens to revolve around cars interests you, you will probably enjoy it. If you're interested because you like driving/racing games,you'll likely be disappointed.

Good grief, I didn't know Wreckfest was going for $45. I don't even think I paid $20 for it back in '14.

Fun game though.

I'm going to second this. BeamNG is fun, but it's a lot closer to Garry's Mod than Wreckfest. If a physics playground that happens to revolve around cars interests you, you will probably enjoy it. If you're interested because you like driving/racing games,you'll likely be disappointed.

Pretty good summary. I don't reget my purchase - it's fun as long as you know what you're getting into. Those expecting a polished racing game will probably be disappointed.

Some of the scenarios are really fun! And I got my rock crawling wish. :)

20190328211259_1.jpg

20190328211730_1.jpg

20190328211843_1.jpg

Back