Next Gen or Small Step?

Funky_Junk said:
I saw this:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28227

The card they're talking about in this article, is that the next generation card (ie GeForce 8800) or is it a lesser ugrade similar to the jump between the 7800GTX and the 7800GTX 512MB?

There talking about

G70 = 7800GTX 256 and 512

G71 = 7900Ultra? (90nm G70 refresh with higher core/mem clock? :eek: )

G80 = 8XXX Series? (32 pipes and even higher core/mem clock :eek: :eek: )

From the looks of it looks like a good jump from the G70 to the G71 and the G80 just sounds killer.. :D cant wait

'Ya know what I noticed? When I found out that the 7800 series is basicly a refinement of the 6800 series, I waited for ATI to release a refined X800. It didn't happen. ATI (kinda) built form the ground up, but their product is (pretty much) inferior. I predict that nVidia's next step will be a new chip while ATI refines their X1800, thus grabbing the market again. Hopefully this cycle will continue, as this gives consumers better and better product choices.

Well, I am personally skipping the 7800GTX 512's and I'll see what's comming down the line when it gets here.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Well, I am personally skipping the 7800GTX 512's and I'll see what's comming down the line when it gets here.
Think Im gonna skip the G71 and start saving for a pair of G80s lol
:D

lee63 said:
Think Im gonna skip the G71 and start saving for a pair of G80s lol
:D

I am torn between that and saving for a new car. I can buy video cards with very little saving time. However cars I have to save up quite a bit. I enjoy buying them often. :)

I am thinking about grabbing a GTO in late 06 when they go discontinued. Of course, I may not depending on what they bring out to replace it.

when ati gets around to r600 level of chips it will regain the crown undisputedly again.

ATI has much more R and D invovled i nthe r600 type cores, heck they're building the r500( really r600 features ) for the xbox 360.

Gonna be fun seeing ati kick nvidia's ass

Unoid said:
when ati gets around to r600 level of chips it will regain the crown undisputedly again.

ATI has much more R and D invovled i nthe r600 type cores, heck they're building the r500( really r600 features ) for the xbox 360.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yes like how the R520 kicked nvidia's ass :D

Unoid said:

opps double post..

the 7800gtx 512 is nvidia's refresh of the g70, right? r580 is supposed to be ati's refresh, its not out yet, but how much of a performance jump do you think we'll see from r520 -> r580 -> r600?

Unoid said:

So your declaring a winner on a product that has no specs released, and is more than a year away?

I'll do the smart thing and see what's out the next time I am in the mood to buy video cards. I'll compare options, prices and then get the fastest cards available in my desired price range.

Unoid said:

Either this guy is psychic and can see in to the future... or he's a complete dick. Believe me, you don't have to be psychic to guess which one I'm thinking ;)

is there any rumor or ETA on these chips(R580,G71,G80)? Just kinda trying to figure out if I should wait for these bad boys or go SLI.

Jasonx82 said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yes like how the R520 kicked nvidia's ass :D

To be fair, the R520 is a competitive product and although most compare it to the GTX 512mb the prices are extremely different. Apparantly the refresh R580 will be what R520 'should of been'

tornadotsunamilife said:
To be fair, the R520 is a competitive product and although most compare it to the GTX 512mb the prices are extremely different. Apparantly the refresh R580 will be what R520 'should of been'

That may be true. That doesn't mean that it will pwn any nVidia card. Who knows? They haven't been released yet.

MetalStorm said:
Either this guy is psychic and can see in to the future... or he's a complete dick. Believe me, you don't have to be psychic to guess which one I'm thinking ;)

priceless and sigable

MetalStorm said:
he's a psychic!!1

M4rk said:
'Ya know what I noticed? When I found out that the 7800 series is basicly a refinement of the 6800 series, I waited for ATI to release a refined X800. It didn't happen. ATI (kinda) built form the ground up, but their product is (pretty much) inferior. I predict that nVidia's next step will be a new chip while ATI refines their X1800, thus grabbing the market again. Hopefully this cycle will continue, as this gives consumers better and better product choices.

um...how is it inferior? It offers the same and even a little more (16fp HDR + AA)

and what the fuck is "Kind of build up" it's a whole new core. :rolleyes:

Back