Next significant jump in HD capacities?

Othersider

Gawd
I want to upgrade to the highest capacity drives I can (don't tell me about price/capacity ration, this is for a SFF, I can't fit in more drives). Right now I'm looking at the Seagate 500GB 7200.9.

I've been checking press releases, and no one seems to have anything significantly larger coming out soon. Is this true? Will my 500GB probably be top-of-the-line for at least a few months?

Don't worry about top of the line. Figure out how much space you will need now and a decent time frame into the future and get as close as you can.

Probably be smarter not to mention more cost effective to go with a 400gb drive atm. Got my SE 16 WD400 at zip zoom fly for a little under 200$. The 500 GB (unless you get a VERY good deal on it) are still 300+ for just another 100gb of space....
But if you can afford it and want it, go all out.... :D

Honestly unless your into storeing massive amounts of video on your computer I just dont see why ne1 really needs more than 80-120 gb of storage. I think most people forget that after setting up windows you must adjust your properties of your recyle bin and system restore... auto settings will take a % of your hard drive no matter the total storage for example system restore by default will take up 10% of your hard drive now why in the hell if you got a 80 gb hd for ex. would you need 8 gb dedicated just for a recyle bin ? thats crazy and your system restore will take up another 10% just rediculous. So if you had a 400 bg hd my lord thats like 80bg resevered just for your recycle bin and system restore just bs. Fact is windows xp install with 1% adjusted to your recycle bin and system restore ( which I turn off system restore ) wil only take up about 4-5 gb of hd space. Btw with my 80bg raid 0 config with xp pro everquest, diablo 2, cod 2, bf2, nfsu, ut2003, ut2004, and more also around 30 music videos, and about 2000 music mp3 on my drive I still have around 55% storage left on the drive oh and far cry, and painkiller hehe

500GB is going to be top of the line for some time. All of the makers stretched to reach it (Hitachi with five platters, Seagate sacrificed seek performance, and Maxtor went under trying to reach the 500GB point). Now that they have reached the 500GB plateau, it will probably require significant advances in perpindicular recording before the makers advance to 7-800GB capacity.

Imagine the amount of time it takes to back up all the stuff on those large drives or when the drive dies and takes your data with it.
I've got 40gigs free out of 2 terabytes, it just takes forever to put stuff on data DVD's.

DougLite said:
500GB is going to be top of the line for some time. All of the makers stretched to reach it (Hitachi with five platters, Seagate sacrificed seek performance, and Maxtor went under trying to reach the 500GB point). Now that they have reached the 500GB plateau, it will probably require significant advances in perpindicular recording before the makers advance to 7-800GB capacity.

Seagate is currently working on a 650 GB drive which will be the next capacity jump. Their plans are to hold onto it for a while though, as they need to milk the 500GB for a while. No doubt they will be the first to market on this one though.

Shane said:
Honestly unless your into storeing massive amounts of video on your computer I just dont see why ne1 really needs more than 80-120 gb of storage. I think most people forget that after setting up windows you must adjust your properties of your recyle bin and system restore... auto settings will take a % of your hard drive no matter the total storage for example system restore by default will take up 10% of your hard drive now why in the hell if you got a 80 gb hd for ex. would you need 8 gb dedicated just for a recyle bin ? thats crazy and your system restore will take up another 10% just rediculous. So if you had a 400 bg hd my lord thats like 80bg resevered just for your recycle bin and system restore just bs. Fact is windows xp install with 1% adjusted to your recycle bin and system restore ( which I turn off system restore ) wil only take up about 4-5 gb of hd space. Btw with my 80bg raid 0 config with xp pro everquest, diablo 2, cod 2, bf2, nfsu, ut2003, ut2004, and more also around 30 music videos, and about 2000 music mp3 on my drive I still have around 55% storage left on the drive oh and far cry, and painkiller hehe

They didn't build the 500GB drive (or the 400GB for that matter) for the PC market. It's main home is in the low end enterprise market in FC-SATA and SCSI - SATA RAIDs and JBODs. Getting 12TB in 3U is pretty sweet, but still not enough for some applications, so capacity has no where to go but up.

Back