here are the flaws i see on both devices currently

win 8 pro surface cons:
  • Lack of RT apps
  • possibly poor battery life
  • hotter/warmer device

win 8 pro surface pro:
  • proper desktop OS
  • Eevery app on RT is optimised for tablet
  • can connect millions of USB devices without rooting/using special software or cable
  • i5 quad core CPU and more RAM
  • Build quality

nexus 10 cons:
  • no lightroom alternative App
  • lack of usb connection to directly connect my camera or a ext hdd without rooting, buy special cables or apps
  • No micro sd slot
  • lack of tablet apps

nexus 10 pros:
  • Price
  • Can sync and use my google account
  • Screen resolution
  • Battery life

thoughts?

Win 8 Pro isn't RT. Not ARM, it's x86. Windows RT is only for tablets with ARM processors.

And all of the metro(modern) apps in the store should work on both.

Personally, i'm looking at a windows tablet with an Atom processor. It's x86, has better performance than ARM and similar battery life. Cost is the same as or close to many RT tablets but far below the Core pro tablets.

??? I thought all app from here on out developed for metro will work on both x86 and ARM (RT).

I believe you are correct. The whole point of Windows 8 is unifying the interface and ecosystem.

??? I thought all app from here on out developed for metro will work on both x86 and ARM (RT).

He means the lack of number of apps, not that they won't run. He know they will run. Read what he wrote.

What software were you planning on using to edit RAW files? You may not have a choice depending on what you want to use.

///Skripka hates running Photoshop or GIMP even on a laptop touchpad.

Surface RT!

I love the thing!

The form factor is absolutely perfect and even my GF loves it. I also have an HP touchpad with WebOS and Android on it. I was very disappointed by Android on a Tablet. The touch cover works better than I could imagine and I am very satisfied with my purchase :)

Last edited:
If you truly mean the Surface Pro, it will run x86 Windows 8 and not Windows RT. If this is what you mean then the question isn't even up for consideration in my mind. Go with the Surface Pro. It has a real x86 processor and even with embedded graphics it is superior.

If you mean Surface RT then it depends on what kind of real use you have for it. I'd probably put the edge towards the Nexus 10 in terms of processing horsepower for working with video files or playing graphically intense games. In terms of specs I can't see the Surface RT being able to touch the Nexus 10. It has double the resolution and probably more than double the GPU horsepower of the Surface RT, no contest.
The Surface RT does do things the Nexus does not such as having an SD card slot for your camera and full HDMI/USB ports. It also (for now) runs Office applications. I will say that my wife's Surface RT is possibly one of the most premium feeling pieces of technology I have ever felt. The kickstand and keyboard combination is superb.

He means the lack of number of apps, not that they won't run. He know they will run. Read what he wrote.

yea this si what i mean, RT apps are small compared to android and ios which has loads more apps.

yea this si what i mean, RT apps are small compared to android and ios which has loads more apps.

Not sure why this keeps being brought up as a "big deal". By this logic nobody ever should have bought any "app based device" when they first got released. The fact is a large majority of the most heavily used apps are already on the RT platform and the next wave is already coming in. I'm betting by end of November 95% of the top 100 apps will be on all three platforms. Secondarily, not sure how you can compare a $400 device vs more than likely $1k device. Furthermore...there are no app limitations with a Win8 pro tablets since you can use real editing programs.

If you truly mean the Surface Pro, it will run x86 Windows 8 and not Windows RT. If this is what you mean then the question isn't even up for consideration in my mind. Go with the Surface Pro. It has a real x86 processor and even with embedded graphics it is superior.

If you mean Surface RT then it depends on what kind of real use you have for it. I'd probably put the edge towards the Nexus 10 in terms of processing horsepower for working with video files or playing graphically intense games. In terms of specs I can't see the Surface RT being able to touch the Nexus 10. It has double the resolution and probably more than double the GPU horsepower of the Surface RT, no contest.
The Surface RT does do things the Nexus does not such as having an SD card slot for your camera and full HDMI/USB ports. It also (for now) runs Office applications. I will say that my wife's Surface RT is possibly one of the most premium feeling pieces of technology I have ever felt. The kickstand and keyboard combination is superb.

Wouldn't the extra GPU power be offset by the extra resolution?

I know on my ipad 3 the resolution and gpu was all the rave but it performed like crap compared to my ipad 2 in a lot of scenarios.

Also tablet apps suck on android and the surface is the smoothest tablet I owned besides the ipad. iPad, Surface, Playbook, GalaxyTab, Touchpad, and finally Archos 7 as far as smoothness goes but honestly the iPad and Surface are in a whole different league.

Also Windows 8 and RT don't close apps without you knowing, webpages don't ever refresh, background downloads actually finish, the file system is not throwing ads at you. It already feels like W8 has more tablet apps than Android.

Not sure why this keeps being brought up as a "big deal". By this logic nobody ever should have bought any "app based device" when they first got released. The fact is a large majority of the most heavily used apps are already on the RT platform and the next wave is already coming in.

It's a big deal because low numbers results in fewer quality choices. If you read any WinRT reviews that mention apps, the will often mention that there are few apps, and of the apps that exist, many are incomplete/buggy.

I also think the apps deal is blown out of proportion. I look at it as a launch similar to a video game system. Wii U for example.

It's a big deal because low numbers results in fewer quality choices. If you read any WinRT reviews that mention apps, the will often mention that there are few apps, and of the apps that exist, many are incomplete/buggy.

WinRT not equal Win 8 pro. They are not even in the same league. Furthermore, you can't get a Surface pro yet. So comparing app availability on a device that won't even be out in 3 months (at best) doesn't make sense.

WinRT not equal Win 8 pro. They are not even in the same league. Furthermore, you can't get a Surface pro yet. So comparing app availability on a device that won't even be out in 3 months (at best) doesn't make sense.

It looked like you were saying App totals don't matter on any platform when you said:

"Not sure why this keeps being brought up as a "big deal". By this logic nobody ever should have bought any "app based device" when they first got released. "

But sure in the special case of Window 8, where you have 4 million real applications, Metro Apps are kind of irrelevant.

Not sure why this keeps being brought up as a "big deal". By this logic nobody ever should have bought any "app based device" when they first got released.

Yeah, why do you think no one bought the HP TouchPad? Or the Blackberry Playbook?

Tablets just aren't designed for photo editing RAW files. It's the wrong tool for the problem at hand.

Can you drive a nail with a socket wrench... well, yes, you could, but why? You'd end up bending a lot of nails and it'll take a lot longer and the finished results would be sub par.

Tablets totally suck at this kind of task. Underpowered with limited processing power and RAM, crappy i-face as to fine manipulation, small screen, limited storage space, etc. For the other purposes you list they do OK and the portability aspect is great and all, but raw pic workflow handling... really? Ahhhh... no thanks.

yup this is the situation at hand but i would give MS time to try and get a good variety of apps in there store but as of now, android and ios has more apps

I also think the apps deal is blown out of proportion. I look at it as a launch similar to a video game system. Wii U for example.

Many people including me dont buy a new gaming console at launch due to lack of games/chocices.

Tablets just aren't designed for photo editing RAW files. It's the wrong tool for the problem at hand.

Can you drive a nail with a socket wrench... well, yes, you could, but why? You'd end up bending a lot of nails and it'll take a lot longer and the finished results would be sub par.

Tablets totally suck at this kind of task. Underpowered with limited processing power and RAM, crappy i-face as to fine manipulation, small screen, limited storage space, etc. For the other purposes you list they do OK and the portability aspect is

great and all, but raw pic workflow handling... really? Ahhhh... no thanks.

Its not really. MOST pp working is usually for cropping, colour levels, white balances and noise reductions just to name a few.

if you know how to shoot correctly first time you wont need to do much pp if any and just use your tablet to convert and publish. done

Many people including me dont buy a new gaming console at launch due to lack of games/chocices.

Yes but you expect it right? The console/tablet just launched a brand new generation of products. What did people expect? Personally, I will roll my eyes when reviewers criticize the Wii U for not having as much software as the Xbox or the new Xbox not having as much software as the PS3.

Windows RT is well behind the curve but expect new RT apps to be launched right in line iOS and Android in the coming months, the new Angry Birds game is launching on Windows 8 day one next and that's just going to happen more and more over time as millions and millions of Windows 8/RT machines enter the market place. By time next year there should be as many Windows 8/RT machines as iPads even if sales of Windows 8/RT upgrades and devices is at horrific levels.

Back