Nexus 5 won't happen on Verizon. The biggest network in the US.

stoney_titan

[H]ard|Gawd
I live in a capitol city with over a quarter of a million people. Time magazine recently placed us 4th worst in the country for wireless carrier selection. I have no choice at all. Its verizon or two bars of 2G reception.

Contracts up in a few days. All speculation or evidence shows Nexus 5 has no compatibility with Verizon. None show capability with Verizon.... Only speculation.

Some of you can leave and try another network. Please do and tell verizon WHY. I'm stuck here.

I'll give the Lg G2 a shot and i'll probably be happy. Just need to work the next few day at getting these 50+ preinstalled apps to not annoy me. And the skin, font, icons, ect..

I doubt verizon is getting the nexus 5 either, however, Verizon has the Droid Mini/Ultra/Maxx plus the Moto X which are pretty close to stock android. That's probably the best alternative if you're looking for a stock experience.. The LG G2 screams carrier bloat on the Verizon model. At least the new droids are pretty lightweight considering they're a verizon exclusive.

Why is this a surprise to anybody? After the fiasco that was the Galaxy Nexus the Nexus line on Verizon was effectively killed until Verizon rolls out VoLTE phones. At that point their LTE spectrum would be open to any device (which Google lobbied hard for). Verizon is pulling a huge bullshit right now by keeping things locked down due to their CDMA bullshit because they know they can.

As soon as VoLTE is live things will change though. My wife's contract with Verizon is up on April 23. I'm June 28. Verizon can kiss my ass at that point. I don't care how much coverage they have because I'm done with them. They're just not worth the bullshit anymore especially with T-Mobile having superb coverage where I live.

I'm dumbfounded by how much people love the nexus phones. Personally, I don't think the vanilla android UI is better than most custom skins; in fact, I find it more clunky to navigate around. Take LG's UI 3.0 and higher. It does not bog the device down in any form I can detect, and puts so many menus and features just one tap or gesture away. I have an LG Optimus G, my sister got the Nexus 4--same system hardware, no difference in performance, with a more-preferable UI on the LG (IMHO).

I doubt many people are going to care if Verizon doesn't get the N5; at least not to a point where it will impact Verizon's bottom line.

Verizon's Nexus that they launched a few years ago was pretty much a disaster, that thing had pretty bad signal issues and atrocious battery life, even with the extended battery installed in it. And yet someone Verizon managed to put some of their carrier bloat apps on it too, and stuck a Verizon logo on the back.. not very stock Android to me there, it barely sold anything on their network, Verizon's biggest sale is going to be Apple, Galaxy S series, and they do pretty well with their Droid line of phones too. I'll be surprised if they get the N5.

I'm dumbfounded by how much people love the nexus phones. Personally, I don't think the vanilla android UI is better than most custom skins; in fact, I find it more clunky to navigate around. Take LG's UI 3.0 and higher. It does not bog the device down in any form I can detect, and puts so many menus and features just one tap or gesture away. I have an LG Optimus G, my sister got the Nexus 4--same system hardware, no difference in performance, with a more-preferable UI on the LG (IMHO).

I doubt many people are going to care if Verizon doesn't get the N5; at least not to a point where it will impact Verizon's bottom line.

LG's UI is very light. It's still very stockish. Moto X is the same way. I could use either without much fuss. HTC Sense and Samsung TouchWiz are the very different ones.

Sense 5.x isn't bad and it still feels stock in some ways like the Settings menus which is nice. I don't mind troubleshooting a friends HTC One because it's easier to get around and find what you need.

TouchWiz is simply a clusterfuck of putrid shit that keeps growing fatter. Android 2.3 styled menus and incredibly un-intuitive. My mother has a SGS4 now and I can't stand using it because the menus are just dumb. My SGS3 was the same way. Thankfully my SGS3 used TouchWiz for a grand total of about 30 minutes.

For me personally, the appeal of the vanilla android UI is that I can build it up that way I want. I can choose the launcher I want, customize as I see fit, and get access to software updates much quicker. With everything though, there are trade-offs.

As for Verizon, That is just some bad blood between the two. Verizon is 'my way or the highway' (with Apple being the exception, only after it was hugely successful) and Android does not feel the need to play that game. A proprietary network does not help either...

It doesnt have to be top specs to be considered best choice. Ever factor in price and reliability vs 2 yr lock down? Google Nexus is one of VERY few choices to not extend a contract or pay 600+ for a phone that will be obsolete in 6 months.I am Grandfathered in to an unlimited everything, I use my phone for everything, gaming, emails ,downloads, music etc... Ill be damned to spend 120-140 a month and be capped.Sorry!Not happening!

And rumors about the Nexus 4 with LTE might be cool, as long as they up a spec or two on it as well.

People go apeshit over the Nexus line due to the price of the device. You get a mostly top tiered device, fully unlocked for 1/2 the price of other high end phones that comes with all the bells and whistles. I sure as hell would of picked one up, but I'm enjoying this Note 3 too much, and like you I do like OEM skins. TW needs some fundamental work though, this I could go on but I would de-rail the thread.

Oh and WatchOn from Samsung is very damn good, I wonder if Google will come out with a competitor to this.

Why is this a surprise to anybody? After the fiasco that was the Galaxy Nexus the Nexus line on Verizon was effectively killed until Verizon rolls out VoLTE phones. At that point their LTE spectrum would be open to any device (which Google lobbied hard for). Verizon is pulling a huge bullshit right now by keeping things locked down due to their CDMA bullshit because they know they can.

As soon as VoLTE is live things will change though. My wife's contract with Verizon is up on April 23. I'm June 28. Verizon can kiss my ass at that point. I don't care how much coverage they have because I'm done with them. They're just not worth the bullshit anymore especially with T-Mobile having superb coverage where I live.

Don't be so sure about VoLTE being Verizon users' ticket to freedom - VZW still refuses to activate the Nexus 7 LTE even though they technically have to due to FCC Block C rules. Verizon tested the FCC and won which is absolutely atrocious. The only reason why I got my Nexus 7 LTE on is because I gave them an old 4G Xoom's IMEI. This works fine if you have an LTE only device but people are screwed when the VoLTE phones come and still need to rely on 3G service as a fall back.

The Nexus is a loved device because it gets the fastest updates, leaving you on the bleeding edge, with minimal bloat and no attempt to sell you shit (other than Google ads, of course). Any skinned phone will have a decent amount of lag time between when new Android AOSP code is posted and when you actually get your update in hand. Skins also add room for error and can eventually evolve into buggy messes. I've seen it happy many times. The elite nerd's love for the nexus is completely justified IMO.

Verizon's Nexus that they launched a few years ago was pretty much a disaster, that thing had pretty bad signal issues and atrocious battery life, even with the extended battery installed in it. And yet someone Verizon managed to put some of their carrier bloat apps on it too, and stuck a Verizon logo on the back.. not very stock Android to me there, it barely sold anything on their network, Verizon's biggest sale is going to be Apple, Galaxy S series, and they do pretty well with their Droid line of phones too. I'll be surprised if they get the N5.

I remember taking my VZW GNex out of box and being appalled at the quality of the radio software. The phone was unusable. Luckily, when I purchased it they had a few months to fix the bugs and I was immediately able to flash a new radio on. Still should have never made production.

Verizon and Google simply don't mix. Google has a much more open policy because they have to reach a wider user base to bring in more ad dollars. Verizon is totalitarian in nature and will do anything in their power to keep the walled garden they've built sealed off to anyone but the highest paying subscribers. Many of their network policies are equivalent to you asking your ISP for permission every time you buy an internet connected device. It's insane.

People go apeshit over the Nexus line due to the price of the device. You get a mostly top tiered device, fully unlocked for 1/2 the price of other high end phones that comes with all the bells and whistles. I sure as hell would of picked one up, but I'm enjoying this Note 3 too much, and like you I do like OEM skins. TW needs some fundamental work though, this I could go on but I would de-rail the thread.

Oh and WatchOn from Samsung is very damn good, I wonder if Google will come out with a competitor to this.

In this case, "people" are defined as the elite nerds along with the tech press - because they love making money money off of the numerous clicks made by the elite nerds clamoring for more information every second of the day.

Without putting these phones in carrier stores, the Nexus will never gain traction in the US. There are simply too many in the brain washed masses that love the gimmicks and will pay top dollar for them even though they compromise an otherwise smooth experience.

Wow, OP I feel your pain. I COULD technically go with AT&T but Verizon is WAY better where I live so I don't even consider any other carrier to be an option other than Verizon.

It could be worse, at least you can get a decent Android phone. My wife kinda made me get an 5 iphone (because that's what she wanted if we got different phones then how could I help her with her phone?!?!). I hate the damn thing. I would like to sell mine and get a Nexus 5 but since Verizon isn't playing ball then I have no option but to suck it up for another 12 months from now.

Agree. Just upgraded my Sprint GS2 to an HTC One and loving the new Sense UI HTC has put together. I've done many iterations of CM5/7/9/10/aosp on various devices so well experienced with stock android, but this One w/ Sense is the first time I've not felt inclined to root and switch ROMs. It's basically aosp style layout in settings/menus/etc, but with the HTC aluminum theme and much upgraded default apps. Loving this phone.

I was kind of interested in waiting a few weeks (on Sprint) for the launch of the G2, but got a chance to play with an AT&T G2 and it really felt lacking. The UI was fast and smooth (finally on par with iphone), but it felt extremely unrefined. Pick your worst custom theme'd rom you've ever seen, add overly saturated primary color wallpapers, then stamp LG all over it and change all page swipe animations to page turn.

Of the 3 major UI alternatives atm (Touchwiz, Sense, whatever LG is doing - I think motoblur is done?) Sense is by far the superior choice. Did not share this opinion during the HTC Hero UI era.

Agree. Just upgraded my Sprint GS2 to an HTC One and loving the new Sense UI HTC has put together. I've done many iterations of CM5/7/9/10/aosp on various devices so well experienced with stock android, but this One w/ Sense is the first time I've not felt inclined to root and switch ROMs. It's basically aosp style layout in settings/menus/etc, but with the HTC aluminum theme and much upgraded default apps. Loving this phone.

I was kind of interested in waiting a few weeks (on Sprint) for the launch of the G2, but got a chance to play with an AT&T G2 and it really felt lacking. The UI was fast and smooth (finally on par with iphone), but it felt extremely unrefined. Pick your worst custom theme'd rom you've ever seen, add overly saturated primary color wallpapers, then stamp LG all over it and change all page swipe animations to page turn.

Of the 3 major UI alternatives atm (Touchwiz, Sense, whatever LG is doing - I think motoblur is done?) Sense is by far the superior choice. Did not share this opinion during the HTC Hero UI era.
Moto phones are not really skinned at all. Definitely not blur. Hell, they run the stock Google Keyboard straight from the Play store.

I live in a capitol city with over a quarter of a million people. Time magazine recently placed us 4th worst in the country for wireless carrier selection. I have no choice at all. Its verizon or two bars of 2G reception.

Contracts up in a few days. All speculation or evidence shows Nexus 5 has no compatibility with Verizon. None show capability with Verizon.... Only speculation.

Some of you can leave and try another network. Please do and tell verizon WHY. I'm stuck here.

I'll give the Lg G2 a shot and i'll probably be happy. Just need to work the next few day at getting these 50+ preinstalled apps to not annoy me. And the skin, font, icons, ect..

What makes you so sure of this? How do you know Verizon (CDMA) wont be supported? That would be stupid as hell...

If that is the case, I will get an additional 2GB of data, and then connect my Nexus 5 to my iPhone's hotspot. Then use skype to handle calls on the Nexus.

What makes you so sure of this? How do you know Verizon (CDMA) wont be supported? That would be stupid as hell...

If that is the case, I will get an additional 2GB of data, and then connect my Nexus 5 to my iPhone's hotspot. Then use skype to handle calls on the Nexus.
FCC filings show no support for Verizon LTE bands.

Because people want to carry around two phones...

That's quite a bold statement considering there are still many people on the grandfathered unlimited data who don't want to shell out 700-800$ for a flagship phone replacement when their 2 year old device fails on them.

349.99 > 799.99

Nothing truly will effect Verizon's bottom line.....you either have their service or not. They are making mad crazy profits and really don't seem to care about the onezee twozee customers.

At the end of the day I love the G2. Just spent a weekend away from my charger. 50 hours of use and 4.5 hours of screen on time in the process. I have tweaked the UI and provided some screenshots for anyone timid of the LG UI.

http://imgur.com/a/ybFdq

Out of five Nexus phones, released the past four years, Verizon only got one of those, and they botched that up badly, handling the updates themselves over Google, and this is a Nexus phone, where the big point is direct and fast updates from Google, not Verizon updating it months after Google :(

So uh no, Verizon had their one chance at the Nexus phone, they F'd it up, they done. Forget about putting Verizon and Nexus phone in the same sentence.

That's quite a bold statement considering there are still many people on the grandfathered unlimited data who don't want to shell out 700-800$ for a flagship phone replacement when their 2 year old device fails on them.

349.99 > 799.99

Nothing truly will effect Verizon's bottom line.....you either have their service or not. They are making mad crazy profits and really don't seem to care about the onezee twozee customers.

Isn't the rumored price of the Nexus 5 $400 - $450 ? And a flagship phone on Verizon like he LG G2 is $575 off contract price. Not that big of a price difference only like 1/3rd more.

The last time they got a nexus device they fucked it up. I was infuriated with the GNex support on verizon and they hamstrung Google Wallet. I used to use it every day to buy stuff and it was bliss. Sucks you dont have another option, AT&T is actually better in my area than Verizon and still kept their old family plan structure which kept my bill the same. The new share plans make me pay for shit I dont want, and raises my phone bill significantly.

The last time they got a nexus device they fucked it up. I was infuriated with the GNex support on verizon and they hamstrung Google Wallet. I used to use it every day to buy stuff and it was bliss. Sucks you dont have another option, AT&T is actually better in my area than Verizon and still kept their old family plan structure which kept my bill the same. The new share plans make me pay for shit I dont want, and raises my phone bill significantly.

Yup. My Verizon GNex was so bad signal wise at work that I made them upgrade me via a CLNR to a Galaxy S 3. Now just biding my time until June 28 so I can tell them to piss off forever.

Isn't the rumored price of the Nexus 5 $400 - $450 ? And a flagship phone on Verizon like he LG G2 is $575 off contract price. Not that big of a price difference only like 1/3rd more.

No, it was on Google Play Store for 349.99

So 350 vs 575......Yeah thats a few months of cell phone bills for me.

So it's quite important.

It will be likely $400 (at least) for the comparable in storage 32gb version however. Also the Play Store has rather expensive shipping (not sure what it was for you guys, but the N4 was $17 shipping for me). I believe you'll get easier support/warranty access as well through the carrier? (I don't use any actual major carrier and not in the US either).

Keep in mind you do get more with the G2 as well. Likely better camera, larger battery, larger display (possibility better quality?). Better thermals? (The Optimus G had better thermals than the N4). USB OTG? (will it be omitted on the N5?). As well as other minor pros (or arguable cons, eg MHL vs MyDP).

Warranty through Play is superb, and 2 day shipping on the 5 was $14. $11 for ground. They're also selling the N5 through Best Buy and Amazon as well.

I'm going from an LG OG to a N5, for 3 main reasons. The LG never gets updates on a timely basis (it's still on 4.1), and I want to get away from being locked into a contract with sprint, and the N5 being multiband means I can switch to a gsm provider next year if I want.

I'm going from an LG OG to a N5, for 3 main reasons. The LG never gets updates on a timely basis (it's still on 4.1), and I want to get away from being locked into a contract with sprint, and the N5 being multiband means I can switch to a gsm provider next year if I want.

This right here ^^^^

Back