nForce mobo + ATI vid card = no

legrand

Weaksauce
I bought a ATI 9800 Pro to replace my Ti-4600. I installed the 9800 with no problems. I ran some games and the games told me 2 things:

1) I'm using old video card drivers (for the ATI 9800 card)

2) I'm NOT running AGP

I have a Giga-Byte GA-7NNXP which is 8xAGP compatible, so this confuses me. I check out the system devices, and there's no AGP driver for the motherboard. I get new drivers for both the motherboard (nForce from nVidia) and the videocard (catalyst from ATI) and here's where it gets interesting.

I can load the vid card drivers with no problems (still no AGP though, as I haven't loaded the new motherboard drivers, obviously). If I then load the chipset drivers (nForce unified drivers) I go into an automatic reboot loop just before windows goes to the login screen.

If I unload the ATI vid card driver, I can load the mobo driver and boot to windows fine. I can even put in my old Ti-4600 and install drivers for that and windows boots and runs fine. I can check out the system devices and see the AGP driver for the motherboard. As soon as I uninstall the 4600 drivers, install the ATI 9800 drivers, I get the reboot loop.

I guess nVidia and ATI don't play well together??? Is it possible to load just the GART drivers only to see if that's the problem? Any ideas on what MIGHT be the problem (besides reloading windows XP, which is what Giga-byte is telling me)?

Thanks...
:confused:

theres no possibility that nvidia core logic is the problem you are expriencing. You might want to try and set the agp 8x to 4x, and see if that helps. Or just try uninstalling all video drivers, and putting them back on

Also run a driver cleaner if you haven't, uninstalling won't completly remove all files, sould be some interference.

Back