NFORCE or VIA or ATI

R!P13y

Limp Gawd
I was wondering which of these chipsets would run best on a A64/AGP platform running a ATI video card say the x800xtpe, would the Nforce have problems with the rival Ati card in there powering graphics for the poor little nforce? or does that matter? would VIA be the way to go or is the ATI the bomb chipset to run with there cards?

Thanks for all replys, much needed and much wanted from people that know, not peoples opions, or can someone give me a good review to read on all this. :confused:

USMC2Hard4U said:
:p

Deffinatly not Via how about that :)

As long as it is not your opion i am ok with that statement...I am only looking for proformance flaws

Via is not good with performance.

The Nforce chipset performs the best at the moment. THen Again, I havnt reall heard anything about the ATI Chipset.

none really have performance flaws. though if you overclock, definitly go with the nf3/4 right now.
i'd like to see some of the ati boards hit retail though, but i have a feeling it'll be like the original nforce: great on paper, but sucky in practice due to the time it took to get to market.

With an nForce board you're likely to be able to achieve a higher OC, but you'll potentially sacrifice some stability. The Via chipset is pretty well rock solid, but you can't really OC much beyond 230 or 240 FSB. The ATI's look nice, but lord knows when we'll actually see them...

At stock setting the Via KT800 Pro beats the Nforce 3. With my A8V and my 3200+ i've gotten it to 2.5 stable on stock heatsink and fan, If I need more than that I'll buy a faster processor, this via chipset has been nothing but trouble free. Also keep in mind that Asus will provide better support than MSI or DFI for Bios updates, and warranty issues. One out of every 4 motherboards in the world are made by Asus, must say something for that company.

thomasward00 said:
At stock setting the Via KT800 Pro beats the Nforce 3. With my A8V and my 3200+ i've gotten it to 2.5 stable on stock heatsink and fan, If I need more than that I'll buy a faster processor, this via chipset has been nothing but trouble free. Also keep in mind that Asus will provide better support than MSI or DFI for Bios updates, and warranty issues. One out of every 4 motherboards in the world are made by Asus, must say something for that company.

I can also vouch for the ASUS A8V. Rock solid. Got my 3200+ up to 2.43(which is still a dam good OC conscidering how much you save) I still dont understand what the gripe is with VIA chips. Would you rather there be no competition and board prices raise to the level of Graphics cards, where there are only two main manufacturers. I have had several VIA chipset baised boards, without one single problem. Any time I have ever had a hardware failure was due to my ignorance about Power Supplies. I give praise to Via whever possible, because they are investing in trying to be a leader in technology and keeping chipset prices down. AMEN to them.

DamienThorn said:
With an nForce board you're likely to be able to achieve a higher OC, but you'll potentially sacrifice some stability. The Via chipset is pretty well rock solid, but you can't really OC much beyond 230 or 240 FSB. The ATI's look nice, but lord knows when we'll actually see them...
you claim that VIA is more stable than nvidia at stock speeds?

confused.gif
:confused::confused:

every VIA chipset ive had, sans the apollo pro266T(JUST becuase in intel chipset supporting DDR and tualatins never existed), has been buggy as hell and slower than the competition. i even gave them another shot not to long ago and it still sucked compared to my nforce boards.

Rasha said:
no abits in a world of financial trouble
and they got out of it :)

abit is just as good as Asus, though i consider them both above MSI slightly... MSI's RMA sucks!

This VIA bashing with nothing but vague-assed anecdotes about their older shit to back it up is pretty lame.

The Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0 has garnered lots of very good reviews. They aren't monster overclockers, but they are painless to set up and WORK. For overclocking-at-any-cost with AGP, yeah, I'd go with nForce 3, and nForce 4 is just all-around cool as hell from what I can tell. But some people just want good stock performance, maybe some moderate overclockability, and STABILITY. And by all accounts the A8V Deluxe 2.0, with its "evil" :rolleyes: VIA chipset, does just that.

But heck, I've gotten a pretty good overclock on my A8V Deluxe 2.0, too... my 3500+ runs at 2.6 GHz (260 HTTx10) on air and is Prime95 stable for 12 hours with no errors or warnings.

but thats just the thing, i have used many RECENT via chipsets too, and they have all been buggier and MORE UNSTABLE than their nforce competitors. i have used KT800 (dual channel ddr400, sktA) KT600, KT400, KT133, and they have all been crappier boards than my NF boards, and they were ALL from Asus. when i was going 939 and trying to decide a board, i really wanted an Abit or Asus board, but i couldnt bring myself to give VIA another chance as i really dont think they deserve it, their competition is just too much better IMO.

I used to have a Shuttle AK35, which used a KT333 chipset, and that little board was absolutely rock stable. Wasn't the best overclocker, but I didn't have any problems with it.

When I moved to my Shuttle AN35N it was because the nForce2 had working PCI/AGP locks, and it's only been fairly recent that VIA fixed their problem with theirs. As such I've stuck with nForce chipsets, which have been very good for performance and overclocking. I can't really speak on the current VIA chipsets.

My current MSI K8N Neo Plat. (S754) has my 2.2GHz 3200+ running at 2.55GHz with only a .025V VCore bump, and I haven't even found the top end of this CPU because my RAM is currently topped out, even using the dividers.

CastleBravo said:
Socket A is recent? LOL. :D
id consider it to be fairly recent, yes, it only went away a little while ago, and chips are still being made for it, its just not the "enthusiast" current i guess. in my mind, if Via couldnt put out a stable chipset for socket A after all those years of making chipsets, processors, audio chipsets, and all the other stuff they put out, they dont deserve my hard earned money on my a64 rig.

I'll say this my K8T800Pro systems (2 of them) are far more stable than my 2 Nforce 4 SLI systems.

That may be simply SLI still being relatively new tech.

KT800 or K8T800?

KT800 was sktA. i do believe many of the NF4 boards were rushed to market, and have too many problems than they are worth.

lithium726 said:
KT800 or K8T800?

KT800 was sktA. i do believe many of the NF4 boards were rushed to market, and have too many problems than they are worth.

opps yeah sorry typo

K8T800

I'll say that I think VIA still suffers under old impressions that many of us still have.. I'll be the first to say that in the old days (haha few years ago) they had their share of issues.

But I think recently their chipsets have become very stable and operate at pretty decent speeds.

On the Intel side I probably still wouldnt choose them over an Intel chipset but I would certainly give them a look on the A64 side.

Well i like to point out that the NF4 is the only SLi chipset out right now, or am i wrong.... I dont know much about it but so i dont know but would like to know more about it thanks.... I would love to build meself a A64 with SLi NF4 chipset and of course ultras to go powering that ultra but i dont really think i can get that money put together to do that thousands of dollors operation so.... :rolleyes:

I have been trying to study up on the A64 and all the chipsets because i have been a intel man for so long and would love to move to A64 just need a good reason, and that is why i started this thread so thanks all for helping me out

Back