nForce2: Dual Channel vs. More RAM

Regarding the first system in my signature (nForce2 chipset), which setup would be more advantageous: 2x512MB DDR400 running in dual channel mode (which yields minimal performance gains somewhere in the nighbourhood of 5%, as I understand), or 2x512MB + 256MB (came across an extra 256MB stick of DDR400)?

So, 1024MB in dual channel, or 1280MB?

I would go with the dual channel. dual channel is the "secret weapon" to get the most out of your athlon xp systems. you actually get a pretty substantial boost in performance across the board. its not like athlon 64 where dual channel only yields a 5-8% boost overall a same spec. system thats not dual channel. athlon 64 has the memory controller built onto the cpu which completely eliminates latency for the controller itself, therefore memory bandwidth is maximized and taken mostly full advantage of. on athlon xp systems, the memory controller is built onto the motherboard, so there is extra latency and bandwidth loss becuase not only does the cpu have to address the ram at a distance, but it also has to address the memory controller at a distance as well as the memory controller having to address the ram etc. so, dual channel improves overall bandwidth allowing these signals to travel much more efficiently and speedily.

so, in short, dual channel dood. the dual channel on the nforce 2 is really what solidified the ahlon xp as a contender, it wasn't just good on paper, it brought real world benefit and kept up well with intel's quad pumped fsb, even supassing it at points. I still have my athlon xp system up and running, I love that thing, and it seems much more solid and stable than these newer boards.

i hate to disagree with you chameleoneel, but i've never really seen much of a difference between dual and single channel on my nf2 boards.. maybe i just wasn't playing the right games? :(

chameleoneel said:
I would go with the dual channel. dual channel is the "secret weapon" to get the most out of your athlon xp systems. you actually get a pretty substantial boost in performance across the board. its not like athlon 64 where dual channel only yields a 5-8% boost overall a same spec. system thats not dual channel. athlon 64 has the memory controller built onto the cpu which completely eliminates latency for the controller itself, therefore memory bandwidth is maximized and taken mostly full advantage of. on athlon xp systems, the memory controller is built onto the motherboard, so there is extra latency and bandwidth loss becuase not only does the cpu have to address the ram at a distance, but it also has to address the memory controller at a distance as well as the memory controller having to address the ram etc. so, dual channel improves overall bandwidth allowing these signals to travel much more efficiently and speedily.

so, in short, dual channel dood. the dual channel on the nforce 2 is really what solidified the ahlon xp as a contender, it wasn't just good on paper, it brought real world benefit and kept up well with intel's quad pumped fsb, even supassing it at points. I still have my athlon xp system up and running, I love that thing, and it seems much more solid and stable than these newer boards.

dual channel is nearly worthless on nf2 setups, the performance increase is VERY small.

There is some Mushkin value 1G sticks that actually do 230-235Mhz 1T in dualchannel in NForce2 @ 2.8V, I have them in my DFI Infinity (modded up the azz, but no longer needing mods :cool: ). SO Im running 235Mhz x11 on a 2600+ mobile with these, wish these were around 2 years ago....

NewEgg Mushkin

Hope that helps.... 2GB is always better than 1 :D

I was using HellFires last revision bios on the board. On NF7-S you'd want to use the TicTac D26MantaXT CPC-ON version for 1T.

chameleoneel said:
dual channel on the nforce 2 is really what solidified the ahlon xp as a contender, it wasn't just good on paper, it brought real world benefit and kept up well with intel's quad pumped fsb, even supassing it at points.
Here:
Part I [Anandtech]
Part II [Anandtech]
(make sure you read the second one)

Using the integrated video, the advantages of dual channel on the nF2 were clear. The advantages to using single channel, however, were not so cut-and-dry. Personally, I always figured it was the lower cost and shorter pipeline that made the Athlon a contender, and that it wasn't until the Athlon 64s that they finally made significant strides in terms of memory performance.

Anyway, I suspected that the performance increases for either of my proposed setups would be close; it seems ZigZagZeppelin had it right, and I like xX_Jack_Carver_Xx's line of thinking ;)

Perhaps a better question:

What about the second system in my signature (XP 2200+)? Would the 50% increase (as opposed to the 25% it would offer my first system) in RAM offer more of a performance increase than the dual channel setup on that one?

I'd just toss it into the third system (because of what I use it for), but it's mATX and only has two slots :(

Back