nForce2 or KT400?

KillerButler

Limp Gawd
I have an A7N8X motherboard and a FIC AN19E motherboad. I am wanting to swith to the AN19E because of the IDE raid and SATA Raid. I am going to use it for home file server purposes. The Asus mobo has to have an IDE card in it and I am thinking it is slowing the system down.

What kind of performance hits will I get going to this motherboard and loosing the dual channel? Only about 4 computers will hit the server so I don't think that is alot of stress on the machine. Maybe the occasional FTP access from 2 or 3 friends.

I want to move all my HD's to one central server and take my main machine and only have one drive for games and my work I bring home.

HD List is:

1X Raptor 36.7 HD 1 for main system.

1x WD 250 SATA for graphics and video encoding.

2x Maxtor 250 GB IDE Drives on Raid 1 for the data on it is vital.

1x 80 GB Maxtor for Music Files

1X 120 GB for storing misc. stuff like movies and programs and apps and drives.

Machine is going to sit in a closet I am making to house this server.

CPU will be XP 2200
Memory will be 1 gb of pc2700 memory.

no sound don't need it.

Any help with my question would be greatly appreciated.

Personally Id take the ASUS. But thats an overclocking gamer talking. LIke you said, you need the RAID or whatnot... Does the Deluxe have RAID? Or maybe the A7N8X-E or whatever is new. Maybe check those out?

The asus I have is the A7N8X-X Rev2 Only has 2 sata and primary and secondary IDE. I have to have an IDE card to run the other drives.

I swear how people go through so much HD space is beyond me :p

lol

Rad777

If you absolutely NEED the raid and there's no way you can make things work out with another model of an A7N then alright, go with the FIC.....but unless someones in THIS tight of a situation you will NEVER see me recommending VIA to ANYone......*shivers*

Seriously though bud, I hope it works out for ya.....let us know.

I need the space due to school projects and the amount of work I bring home. I want the mirroring on the raid for data preservation if a drive fails. I would hate to loose a school years worth of work. I may just take the idea given and get a good raid card. The FIC board was given to me.

For RAID1, you don't even really need a "good" RAID card. Take a look at the Koutech PIR133, it's a nice basic IDE controller with soft RAID functions. Silicon Image 680 controller.

kapkorn said:
sell the kt400 and buy a raid card.

ditto.....makes a HELL of a lot more sense to me then sacrificing the nforce2 board JUST for raid on the VIA POS.

Back