NFSMW and HDR

Ph0s5ph0L1p1D

Limp Gawd
It seems to me that NFSMW has a very nice HDR effect, Im not sure if it actually has high dynamic rendering, but it does have a very nice lighting effect, especially when going in and out of caves, has anyone else noticed this? could this be HDR?

Well I get that fancy lighting thing when I come out of tunnels (Not Caves? :p)
I've got settings maxed out 4xAA on 1024x768... But its not HDR...

IGN said:
Instead of using HDR, EA chose to implement "overbright," which simulates some of the light bloom effects without being too overpowered. There's lots of options to tweak to get the right balance

Source: http://pc.ign.com/articles/664/664225p1.html

Looks mighty fine for not being HDR....

yeah, I have my settings ramped all the way up too, (1600x1200) and its really really good, I love the effect, especially the lighting effect on the road, just wow...

I think they overdid the flare right when you are about to come out of a dark tunnel.

But overall it makes things look nice, i also liked the blur they used when speeds got above 130mph. It was a very gradual blur and made "the zone" appear when you really got into it :D .

Great game.

Ph0s5ph0L1p1D said:
yeah, I have my settings ramped all the way up too, (1600x1200) and its really really good, I love the effect, especially the lighting effect on the road, just wow...

Indeed... and when seeing a close up of your lovely 20inch Chrome mags...Its nice and sexy :p

Hells yes.

This game looks great. This motion blur is so nice, everything is just perfect.

But what frame rates you guys getting?
12x10 here, with 2xAA 8xAF, and with car reflections on meduim.

I have a 7800GT CO and im getting like 35-45 with very occasional dips below the 30's.

Has anyone with a last-gen card been able to max this this out?

I've maxed it all out, with 2 6800gt's in SLI. I dont really know what FPS im getting, but it doesnt lag at all, and its real smooth.

I play 1024x768 with everything maxed in the advanced options menu.

So I'm pretty sure that is 4xFSAA.

Game looks great.

I use my original large XBox controller to play, and it is just like playing on the XBox 360 except higher resolution and quicker loading times :D

Helicopter.JPG

For the BEST visual quality in NFS MW I recommend turning "Visual Treatment" to "Low" and then enabling Overbright. You will get a game that has great lighting then.

Weather and daylight is dynamic in the game, so over the course of time it will be brighter daylight and move into dusk, very pretty with the sun on the horizon shinning off the road and objects.

Also shadows at max add a great deal of immersion to the game but they need a fast video card, they bring the performance down on slower video cards.

The lighting is beautiful in this game...I actually enjoy getting blinded when I come out of tunnels. I'm running an X850XT at 16x12 everything pretty much on high. Turned the AA down to nothing and used the Catalyst CP set to 2x. Runs pretty smooth...

To Borgschulze: Your Supra looks pretty damn nice, thats my main car too :). Can't wait to unlock the Viper :D. I think we need to start a "Post pics of your NFS:MW car" thread.

Supra + Pearl Red + Gold Tint + Body kit (3?) x 4 black 6 spoke rims = My ride :D

mluke245 said:
The lighting is beautiful in this game...I actually enjoy getting blinded when I come out of tunnels. I'm running an X850XT at 16x12 everything pretty much on high. Turned the AA down to nothing and used the Catalyst CP set to 2x. Runs pretty smooth...

To Borgschulze: Your Supra looks pretty damn nice, thats my main car too :). Can't wait to unlock the Viper :D. I think we need to start a "Post pics of your NFS:MW car" thread.

Supra + Pearl Red + Gold Tint + Body kit (3?) x 4 black 6 spoke rims = My ride :D
ditto on everything you said (same card same settings). game is awesome! one complaint, in typical NFS fashion, it starts getting really diffucult as your career progresses, sometimes to the point of wanting to use a hack... ;)
still love it...

Borgschulze said:

Game looks great.

I use my original large XBox controller to play, and it is just like playing on the XBox 360 except higher resolution and quicker loading times :D
Wow! 4x on your Heat Meter, you been using the same car for all your pursuits without changing its looks or had you been running on the same pursuit for like an hour? hehe... And what’s that little symbol on your mini-map right where your car is? Haven’t seem that one yet…

BTW – I use an old Logitech Yellow wheel, no force feedback. You really haven’t experienced a driving game till you’ve used a wheel with bumper or hood cam IMHO… ;)

That symbol looks like a helicopter...and judging from the helicopter in his screenshot I think I'm right...

Then again, I've never been up to heat level 4 :eek:

I noticed the game was going to get a lot tougher when you had to get a bounty of 110,000 just to take on the #8 on the blacklist...

mluke245 said:
That symbol looks like a helicopter...and judging from the helicopter in his screenshot I think I'm right...

Then again, I've never been up to heat level 4 :eek:

I noticed the game was going to get a lot tougher when you had to get a bounty of 110,000 just to take on the #8 on the blacklist...
duh, of course, thanks for pointing that out. I've never been to level 4 either so no copters yet...

Hmm, seems you guys are all mistaken...

If you took about a half second to read, it says just over 20 minutes on that pursuit.

I also HATE Supra's, that's a challenge series car.

And yes, after 4x Heat a Helicopter chases you, and FBI cars I think.

0mega said:
personally i have to disagree brent, visual treatment and the overbright seem to make it lookbetter than just one or the other... with VT off theres no "bloom" effect when the sun is behind a building and is partially showing...

With Visual Treatment on High and Overbright Enabled some objects in the background come out looking like bright neon green, this is especially apparent on mountains in the background. It looks really bad IMO.

I've been playing lots now with Visual Treatment on Low and Overbright Enabled and the game looks amazing, very beautiful lighting and nothing is overblown.

I will try that. Porche Cayman S is my main ride. I use that and my fully upgraded RX-8 for Races :) The Supra is great for police chases. BTW, how do you use your Xbox Controller, I want to do that if possible.

Borgschulze said:
Hmm, seems you guys are all mistaken...

If you took about a half second to read, it says just over 20 minutes on that pursuit.

I also HATE Supra's, that's a challenge series car.

And yes, after 4x Heat a Helicopter chases you, and FBI cars I think.
Sometimes I think you are just plain mean... :p

Brent_Justice said:
With Visual Treatment on High and Overbright Enabled some objects in the background come out looking like bright neon green, this is especially apparent on mountains in the background. It looks really bad IMO.

I've been playing lots now with Visual Treatment on Low and Overbright Enabled and the game looks amazing, very beautiful lighting and nothing is overblown.

i ahve to take back what i said, with vis treatment off and my card clocked down a bit (it was unlocked...) now it looks much better with higher detail >_<

is it my set-up or does nfs:mw constantly have a 'soft filter' applied?

that mia would look a darn sight better if she was in focus.

hfc said:
is it my set-up or does nfs:mw constantly have a 'soft filter' applied?

that mia would look a darn sight better if she was in focus.

seems as though it does....almost like a blur.
i noticed that when i first started playing it...kinda gives everything a very soft glow type effect.
i would like to see it without that

Haste266 said:
seems as though it does....almost like a blur.
i noticed that when i first started playing it...kinda gives everything a very soft glow type effect.
i would like to see it without that
I think you are talking about "visual treatment." It almost gives the game a sepia tone look to it. BTW there is a very good guide to all game settings here.

I'm tellin ya, turn Visual Treatment to Low, and Overbright Enabled, game looks great

As for a "blur" I've noticed on some NV cards if you use the first AA slider position in the game it enables some kind of "Quincunx" AA method where it adds a blur filter with 2X AA. The advantage is that there is less aliasing, the disadvantage is that everything is blurry, not as sharp. If you move the slider up one more then it goes away and 4X AA is enabled I believe. So play with the AA slider setting. I've also found that Shadows cause a large performance drop on slower cards, so if you have a slower video card disable shadows completely for a big performance boost.

Brent_Justice said:

I tried your suggestion...
While things look more "crisp", it has the downside of removing some of the effect that made me foreget I was in a PC game and not really driving...
Your suggestion make the game look more game-like, more artifical and the game itself looses some of the "x-factor" that made it seem very real to me...

Terra - Going back to previous settings...

Brent_Justice said:
I'm tellin ya, turn Visual Treatment to Low, and Overbright Enabled, game looks great

And I'm telling you that I disagree...
Driving in DK at Autum/winter looks more like sual Treatment at High(not 100%)...

Terra - Like I said, you suggetion make the game look more like a game...

Borgschulze said:

Game looks great.

Hmm.. if you are playing it at 1024x768, how is it higher resolution than the Xbox 360?

Also, there really isn't much loading on the Xbox 360... which probably leads me to believe that you haven't actually played it on an Xbox 360. ;)

Night Fox said:
Hmm.. if you are playing it at 1024x768, how is it higher resolution than the Xbox 360?

Also, there really isn't much loading on the Xbox 360... which probably leads me to believe that you haven't actually played it on an Xbox 360. ;)
Well....Xbox360 is 1280x720, and 768>720, so it has more vertical lines, hence higher res!:p

Indeed... but if you got something like a 7800GT + you'd smoke the XBox 360 =D

Patrick1 said:
I have a 7800GT CO and im getting like 35-45 with very occasional dips below the 30's.

Has anyone with a last-gen card been able to max this this out?

Yes, I'm quite sure his 7800GT just mollywhops the Xbox 360. :rolleyes:

Back