NIC issues - Netgear and Vista

Project_2501

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm having issues connecting my friend's pc to his home network. My knowledge entirely regards Windows XP, so I'm somewhat at a loss here.

NIC: Netgear wg111v2
Router: Netgear mr814v2

The drivers that came on the disc didn't support Vista, so I grabbed the latest ones and put them on a pen drive and installed those, with the same lack of results. The actual problem was that the NIC doesn't want to physically connect to the network and allow an internet connection to be made.

Any suggestions? (Yeah, this is super broad, I'm sorry).

Thanks guys,
Patrick

I see the latest drivers as being 3.4.0 at this time, you've tried those?
Any prior drivers, did you try uninstalling them before installing the latest?
Any event log errors?
Latest firmware on the wireless router/access point can often help with compatibility issues.
If your wireless router/access point has some proprietary "turbo mode", try disabling that, it can affect compatibility.
If the wireless router/access point is multi mode (A/B/G/N)..try setting it to "G-Only"
Try "briefly" disabling any wireless security, see if it connects unsecured..if it does..step up to WPA
Try changing the channel of the wireless router/access point, often 1 or 11.

I see the latest drivers as being 3.4.0 at this time, you've tried those?
Any prior drivers, did you try uninstalling them before installing the latest?
Any event log errors?
Latest firmware on the wireless router/access point can often help with compatibility issues.
If your wireless router/access point has some proprietary "turbo mode", try disabling that, it can affect compatibility.
If the wireless router/access point is multi mode (A/B/G/N)..try setting it to "G-Only"
Try "briefly" disabling any wireless security, see if it connects unsecured..if it does..step up to WPA
Try changing the channel of the wireless router/access point, often 1 or 11.

I believe I was using the 3.4.0's, and was correctly uninstalling them each time, as well as using their uninstaller going into C:/ and erasing the folder. If I was as adept with Vista as I am with XP, I'd have erased the registry entries as well, but oh well.

I don't recall any event log errors, but that's also a new feature to Vista, right? I don't recall anything like that with XP. (As in, maybe, and I don't remember).

I'll look into updating the firmware for the router, but I believe that was up to date as well, and there wasn't any kind of "turbo" mode on it, so that's not the issue.

We weren't using any security at all on the router, as my buddy isn't concerned (the actual computers have solid firewall programs, and he's a giver, not a taker :) ).

Next time I give it a go I'll try setting it to G-only and adjusting the access channel.

Thanks!
Patrick

Back