NIC not connected on restart

cooter

Gawd
My server is an old P4 2.8 on a ASUS P4P8X motherboard. As of late it seems like anytime i restart the computer the network connection is dead and i have to disable/enable the connection to get it to work correctly.

The main issue here is that this computer is run almost exclusively remotely. I recently had to install a KVM on it as well so i can get into during these situations.

Anyway, I have updated the NIC drivers to the latest ones (didn't resolve it) and still have issues with the connection not working on startup. Does anyone have any ideas on what causes this? I also don't want to use a different NIC as i don't have another gigbit NIC laying around and need it for performance.

What OS is it running?

If it is Windows did you check the event log to make sure the drivers are setup correctly? How about If the networking service is starting correctly?

If it s Linux, check to make sure that everything in /etc/init.d/networking is running correctly, and is in the correct rc.# to start the network when the computer goes into the various run levels.

After further review i think i have bigger problems. The computer is first home built computer and was overclocked for about 4 years. I think that it is going out, it does not restart completely now. Just limp it along as long as i can until i can buy a new one.

Back