NIC, PCI card versus onboard

oboyco

Gawd
I was having problems with my Realtek onboard NIC connecting to the internet after resuming from sleep, so after some advice from the OS section here, I bought a Dlink PCI card from Office Depot for $15.

Seems my internet speed is very much improved, I mean I said WOW to myself! That huge a difference? Or is it just my imagination?

My resume from sleep problem is also solved.

I was having problems with my Realtek onboard NIC connecting to the internet after resuming from sleep, so after some advice from the OS section here, I bought a Dlink PCI card from Office Depot for $15.

Seems my internet speed is very much improved, I mean I said WOW to myself! That huge a difference? Or is it just my imagination?

My resume from sleep problem is also solved.

If you had a buggy onboard adapter or it had bad drives, then yeah there could be a big difference. Personally I've only really had good performance from the Marvell Yukon based onboards.

Tried different drivers for the onboard, and have the latest from Realtek. It's not that the onboard was slow by any means, however I do notice a very real improvement with the Dlink. Could it be a buggy onboard adatper?

I really haven't read any major problems with onboards in general

"onboard" doesn't always mean cheapo software driven NICs that hog the CPU...many are just as "hardware driven" as a PCI or PCIe card. Not all of them are like winmodems.

Onboard can also have the advantage of being tied in more directly to the chipset..faster.

Back